Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The mere fact you're just straight up ignoring the regular season says a lot, my guy.

Lol. Going to ignore the egg from thinking I was using Amendola and Welker’s stats, huh? Okay.

those dudes were instrumental or important to the Patriots getting there or winning it.

Are postseason games not one-and-done competitions? Is the postseason not absolutely essential to “getting there”? Is playing in the SB itself an essential part of “winning it”? Skipping the crappy retort: yes to all. Edelman absolutely balled in all of those postseasons. He wasn’t unimportant on those runs, like you said.

He was pretty “instrumental” in that two-time 14 point comeback vs Baltimore, especially. Time flies.

You can't just ignore 16 whole games and try to tell me a receiver was some instrumental part of the team because he had a good 2-3 game stretch.

He had 92 and 98 catches in both those seasons for a combined 2000+ yards, so...

Pretty integral. Especially if you, you know, watched the games. Edelman is the guy with two one’s, not to be (repeatedly) confused with other “similar” guys on the team. 

And like I said, Edelman is nothing different than the 3 other identical players the Patriots had in his role before/during his time, and I'm sure they'll find another quick slot WR now that he's gone, too.

Lol. Go, just box score scout (the laziest, easiest thing you can do) and tell me that Edelman, Welker, and Amendola all did comparable things for a successful NE championship run. 

Absolute joke of a post and it’s even funnier you’re defending it instead of just admitting you made a stupid statement.  

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

...another he made one of the greatest catches in NFL history that will replayed over and over again more than any catch Calvin Johnson ever had, and in the other he had the game winning TD. Then he’s also second to only Jerry Rice in some of the major playoff receiving stat all time lists

You think Edelman will be remembered historically for an amazing catch but Calvin Johnson will not? 

Calvin Johnson beat Jerry Rice's all time receiving record. The best, all time. 

You are reaching quite a bit here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

We've been through the money breakdown

Nobody is worried about Edelman running out of cash. They will both die with a ton of money left unspent

15 hours ago, pwny said:

You’re wildly missing the point. What makes Edelman’s career fulfilling and something to be proud of isn’t his talent - which was mediocre for a starting receiver. It wasn’t his regular season play - which was mediocre for a starting player. What makes his career fulfilling and something that people would be happy to have is that he stepped up in the big games. He made big plays and can say he was a strong contributor in high leverage games that contributed to winning three titles. He and those around him worked in unison to climb the mountain three different times. 

Megatron was a far, far, far more talented player. And his individual accomplishments dwarf that of two Edelman’s combined. He’s a Hall of Famer and Edelman doesn’t even deserve to make a semi-finalist list. But contributing to three titles — to a whole lot of people — is worth more than being the best individual at your craft. 

The guy responded to me talking about Edelman's talent and statistics, so that's where the topic diverged to. 

15 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Lol. Going to ignore the egg from thinking I was using Amendola and Welker’s stats, huh? Okay.

Are postseason games not one-and-done competitions? Is the postseason not absolutely essential to “getting there”? Is playing in the SB itself an essential part of “winning it”? Skipping the crappy retort: yes to all. Edelman absolutely balled in all of those postseasons. He wasn’t unimportant on those runs, like you said.

He was pretty “instrumental” in that two-time 14 point comeback vs Baltimore, especially. Time flies.

He had 92 and 98 catches in both those seasons for a combined 2000+ yards, so...

Pretty integral. Especially if you, you know, watched the games. Edelman is the guy with two one’s, not to be (repeatedly) confused with other “similar” guys on the team. 

Lol. Go, just box score scout (the laziest, easiest thing you can do) and tell me that Edelman, Welker, and Amendola all did comparable things for a successful NE championship run. 

Absolute joke of a post and it’s even funnier you’re defending it instead of just admitting you made a stupid statement.  

wow congrats Edelman is the Joe Flacco is WR's. Amazing feat, truly.

11 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

We've been through the money breakdown

Nobody is worried about Edelman running out of cash. They will both die with a ton of money left unspent

This is a major reach, given that nearly 80% of players declare bankruptcy within two years of retirement:

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0312/why-athletes-go-broke.aspx

19 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

But winning sbs doesn’t make you a good player, there’s plenty of players who won multiple that nobody would consider good. Edelman was maybe an above average player that was largely replaceable in nes offense. Yes he had some great games in the playoffs but it doesn’t change the fact he was mainly just along for the ride.

A very small % of football fans could name the last 5 sb mvps even, it’s certainly a cool thing to say but it’s not really memorable to a giant part of the fan base. However, the vast majority of fans can rattle off all time positional greats. This isn’t controversial so I’m hoping we can agree to those two things. And the point is, who thinks about Deion branch anymore? Julian Edelman is mostly going to be forgotten in a decade, Calvin will be on a list of one of the greatest all time wrs for a while.

So again, unless people are arguing that any player with a sb trophy has a preferable career to a player without, we are going to continue to agree to disagree.

Again you are talking about a guy who can legitimately argue he’s the best playoff WR after the GOAT at the position. It’s not just “oh he was a pretty good WR who was on a team that won a SB”. It’s oh he’s second in most playoff receiving stats, has a SB MVP, has a SB game winner, and has one of greatest catches in a SB of all time. Deion Branch has one of those aspects and he didn’t spend his career in AFCCG’s and SB’s. 

Edelman isn’t going to be forgotten anymore than Roger Craig is. In fact Edelman has a catch that will be replayed over and over more than any Calvin Johnson catch. He was a super bowl hero on a dynasty in a big market. In fact I doubt you could find person that knows who Calvin Johnson is that doesn’t know who Edelman is. 

Edited by lancerman

17 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

You think Edelman will be remembered historically for an amazing catch but Calvin Johnson will not? 

Calvin Johnson beat Jerry Rice's all time receiving record. The best, all time. 

You are reaching quite a bit here. 

Well it’s more like you are reaching. I never argued Calvin Johnson wouldn’t be remembered. That’s a straw man. 

However if you don’t think his Sb 51 catch won’t be remembered more than any individual catch Calvin had, you are kidding yourself. Edelman’s catch in that game is probably one of the 10 most famous catches of all time and that’s me low balling it (Tyree, the Catch, Immaculate Reception are the few I’d put over it)