Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

30 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

It won't totally even it out, but the endorsements available thanks to a longer career on a winning team and a Superbowl MVP probably close the income gap quite a bit.

First off, I highly doubt the endorsement money is rolling in for Edelman at the rate he'd need to close that large of a gap.

Second, Johnson had a sizable investment advantage early in their respective careers. 

I'm guessing the gap in wealth is larger than what they earned playing ball. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:37 AM, ChazStandard said:

It won't totally even it out, but the endorsements available thanks to a longer career on a winning team and a Superbowl MVP probably close the income gap quite a bit.

You thinking Edelman is going to make three times more than he did in his playing career with endorsements - because that's the current gap.

Think about it like this - Calvin was a "bonus baby" rookie, before the rookie salary cap. CJs rookie signing bonus was more than Edelman career earnings ($55mm v $44mm).

If Edelman closes that gap alone in endorsements - he'd still have $58mm to catch up with. If he did that (in any way, shape or form - not just endorsements) we'd know him for whatever he did to close that gap, and his football career/accolades would be secondary (sort of how we think of Dwayne Johnson as "The Rock" an actor/wrestler... and not a backup DT to Warren Sapp at The U).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

You thinking Edelman is going to make three times more than he did in his playing career with endorsements - because that's the current gap.

Think about it like this - Calvin was a "bonus baby" rookie, before the rookie salary cap. CJs rookie signing bonus was more than Edelman career earnings ($55mm v $44mm).

If Edelman closes that gap alone in endorsements - he'd still have $58mm to catch up with. If he did that (in any way, shape or form - not just endorsements) we'd know him for whatever he did to close that gap, and his football career/accolades would be secondary (sort of how we think of Dwayne Johnson as "The Rock" an actor/wrestler... and not a backup DT to Warren Sapp at The U).

Oh he won't pass, not close, but it will close the gap. I don't doubt that.

6 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Oh he won't pass, not close, but it will close the gap. I don't doubt that.

I'll argue that he might catch up to the signing bonus at most, if he lands a spot on a national broadcast along with landing endorsements.

He's not making LeBron endorsement money post-playing.