Updated Salary Cap Status

Just Want A Title

4 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Interesting 🤔 

Now tell me again why we needed to push more of Goff’s cap hit into future years?  Thought it was a dumb move then and looks worse now.

They could be planning to roll that money over.  That could have an even bigger impact if we manage to execute a post June-1 trade or two.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 12:06 PM, BigC421/ said:

Interesting 🤔 

Now tell me again why we needed to push more of Goff’s cap hit into future years?  Thought it was a dumb move then and looks worse now.

Because the cap is lowered this season and will expand greatly starting next season. 

Of that $22 million, roughly $10 million will be used for rookie contracts. That leaves $12 million as wiggle room for players cut when rosters are reduced down and injury replacements throughout the season. 

And whatever is not used can be rolled over into next seasons salary cap.

There really was no downside to restructuring Goffs contract. 

9 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

There really was no downside to restructuring Goffs contract. 

No downside?  Other than the fact that his cap hit is now higher in future years , years that actually matter ( this one does not) .  That’s a pretty big downside.  Keeping him, trading him or cutting him, all options became worse with that move. It’s not hard to understand.  You don’t kick the can down the road in year 1 of a rebuild 

On 4/14/2021 at 5:49 PM, diehardlionfan said:

9.2 million or so to the rookies comes out of that. It would seem reasonable to expect they have plans for the money. If not then as BigC421/ has pointed out the Goff restructure is questionable.

I think it'll get interesting with June 1st cuts this go around and Lions are looking to capitalize on... "someone" idk if they have a specific target even. Kinda of just waiting/hiding in the bushes, is the best way I can articulate what I think they're(lions) doing with the extra cash.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I think it'll get interesting with June 1st cuts this go around and Lions are looking to capitalize on... "someone" idk if they have a specific target even. Kinda of just waiting/hiding in the bushes, is the best way I can articulate what I think they're(lions) doing with the extra cash.

Hopefully they will get any decent LB with a pulse.

6 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

No downside?  Other than the fact that his cap hit is now higher in future years , years that actually matter ( this one does not) .  That’s a pretty big downside.  Keeping him, trading him or cutting him, all options became worse with that move. It’s not hard to understand.  You don’t kick the can down the road in year 1 of a rebuild 

Yeah future years with massive cap increase and not having over $40 million in dead cap. No downside. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Yeah future years with massive cap increase and not having over $40 million in dead cap. No downside. 

Going in circles but you seem to have little concept of what the word “no” actually means.  Is it a massive disaster?  NO  Is there downside? Yes , this isn’t debatable.  The Lions will have less cap room in future years than they otherwise would due to this move. That is not favorable anyway you try to spin it.  

3 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Going in circles but you seem to have little concept of what the word “no” actually means.  Is it a massive disaster?  NO  Is there downside? Yes , this isn’t debatable.  The Lions will have less cap room in future years than they otherwise would due to this move. That is not favorable anyway you try to spin it.  

Not really. You just want to find a reason to hate it, but there isn’t one. It was a good move. 

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Not really. You just want to find a reason to hate it, but there isn’t one. It was a good move. 

Definate downside if... IF, IF!!!! You draft a QB this year and he's better than Goff and next year Lions can't use that extra money to build around their cheap QB, just cause the caps rising doesn't mean it's awesome Lions don't get to use Goffs money when they have a young franchise QB better than him.

Not really a big deal unless you think with a franchise QB, and tons of dollars Lions could of been Superbowl contenders...( Maybe with QB/picks/money. It's all maybe's, if this, prolly, might happen. At least Lions went with a direction here and can still draft a QB if they love one at 7. )

Only slightly distressing signal is it faintly illuminates out that maybe the staff likes Goff more than the fans think and they might ignore QB for multiple years.

I personally see it as rewarding the guy for going to the front line trenches for two years and likely get roughed up. Media/Fans/etc. Idk if you own a business, but I do(siren) and sometimes you have to reward your locker-room lawyer/soldiers even though they aren't your most talented guys around you. Just my personal opinions, but there's a small chance he does pretty well but I think a whole lot has to go right and I really just think he's an average QB coming to a bad team. An while I'm talking trash kinda about Goff, if he does turn out to be really good for the Lions then, omg, the rebuild just turned into a retool and Lions should be really, really good by 22. I certainly won't be upset if he's a really good QB for the Lions, I just don't believe in him.

Edited by SimbaWho

8 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Definate downside if... IF, IF!!!! You draft a QB this year and he's better than Goff and next year Lions can't use that extra money to build around their cheap QB, just cause the caps rising doesn't mean it's awesome Lions don't get to use Goffs money when they have a young franchise QB better than him.

Not really a big deal unless you think with a franchise QB, and tons of dollars Lions could of been Superbowl contenders...( Maybe with QB/picks/money. It's all maybe's, if this, prolly, might happen. At least Lions went with a direction here and can still draft a QB if they love one at 7. )

Only slightly distressing signal is it faintly illuminates out that maybe the staff likes Goff more than the fans think and they might ignore QB for multiple years.

I personally see it as rewarding the guy for going to the front line trenches for two years and likely get roughed up. Media/Fans/etc. Idk if you own a business, but I do(siren) and sometimes you have to reward your locker-room lawyer/soldiers even though they aren't your most talented guys around you. Just my personal opinions, but there's a small chance he does pretty well but I think a whole lot has to go right and I really just think he's an average QB coming to a bad team. An while I'm talking trash kinda about Goff, if he does turn out to be really good for the Lions then, omg, the rebuild just turned into a retool and Lions should be really, really good by 22. I certainly won't be upset if he's a really good QB for the Lions, I just don't believe in him.

Even IF the Lions draft a QB this year, it’s a good move. Lions need a 53 man roster, even if rebuilding. Injuries happen. Players become available and the team has to pay both of them (injured player/injury replacement). Restructuring a huge contract to reduce the hit in the cash strapped year and move it forward to when you have money is smart business. A $5 million cap hit is not that hard to work around if you know what you are doing. Much easier than working around $20 million more this season.