Jet! (and Murray! too)

vike daddy

McKinnon has had a couple of decent games, but I'd let him hit the market. If you can bring him back for a $2 million or so a year, fine. Otherwise guys like him are a dime a dozen in the draft. He's had a couple of nice games, but he's not worth much more than that. Jaquizz Rogers got 2 years for 3.3 million last year. That's about all I see McKinnon being worth at this point.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

one of these days, maybe not until late in the season, Shurmur is going to dial up a play where a handoff to McK turns in to a pass from McK.

I hope not. We saw that late last year and it was fugly!

Shurmur needs to cool it on the trick plays. They’ve backfired on him more often than not. 

17 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

McKinnon has had a couple of decent games, but I'd let him hit the market. If you can bring him back for a $2 million or so a year, fine. Otherwise guys like him are a dime a dozen in the draft. He's had a couple of nice games, but he's not worth much more than that. Jaquizz Rogers got 2 years for 3.3 million last year. That's about all I see McKinnon being worth at this point.

McKinnon has essentially been a starter for two years now given that the expected starter got injured. I'd take McKinnon over Murray if it came to paying one $4-5m. Given the circumstance regarding Cook's injury, MN will need a viable backup in place.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

McKinnon has essentially been a starter for two years now given that the expected starter got injured. I'd take McKinnon over Murray if it came to paying one $4-5m. Given the circumstance regarding Cook's injury, MN will need a viable backup in place.

And I'd just as soon draft a guy in the 4th or 5th to fill that role. We have a dynamic starter. We have finite cap resources. Free agency will likely provide similar guys for better value than $4-5 million. 

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d put McKinnon’s value at around $3M per year. Similar contract numbers to what Danny Woodhead got from Baltimore. 

Still feels low given that McKinnon is a two year starter and Woodhead has always been a reserve. I'd value McKinnon at $3m per year to return to MN but I'm not convinced the open market will see him that low.

i don't even think that McKinnon is a good starter but I'd think that experience would count for something as he leverages a new deal. Especially if he returns to MN where his party could make a strong case that MN needs more than just a backup with Cook's injury. Cook may be done for all we know, it's always a challenge to see how RBs respond to knee injuries.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

But McKinnon has only ever been a starter because of injury. He’s never earned a starting job. And he’s not going to be a starter next year, either.

But he's shown that he's capable and he's done a great job staying healthy. ::knockonwood:::

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

With the way Murray's contract is set up (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/latavius-murray-12463/), I don't think he will be back next year unless he makes himself extremely valuable. His cap hit jumps up to 6.3M with only 1.2M in dead cap if cut.

Agreed.  I think there's a slim chance that he's back.  Jet has a better chance that he's back, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them let him test the market too.  

5 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Agreed.  I think there's a slim chance that he's back.  Jet has a better chance that he's back, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them let him test the market too.  

I can definitely see McKinnon trying to find a starting job elsewhere, now that Cook is here. I just hope we make a real effort to keep him.

Archived