Jet! (and Murray! too)

vike daddy

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Why would you pay a player who’s not a starter, starter’s money?

WHO do you assume I am talking about?  (Note my qualifying description but no specific name of who should receive starters money...)

WHO will be healthy now, next year?  Jet?  Cook?  or...

th?id=OIP.8er0xN-hy8RPSUNuWVSmzQEsDh&pid

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

With the way Murray's contract is set up (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/latavius-murray-12463/), I don't think he will be back next year unless he makes himself extremely valuable. His cap hit jumps up to 6.3M with only 1.2M in dead cap if cut.

If fans are interested in seeing the better player retained, that's one thing.

Some fans postings in this thread recently are concerned with money spent on the presumed backup to Cook - if Cook heals well enough to return.  Those fans should consider your point.

I don't know who'll perform best next year; two RBs are injured or recovering from injury.  One isn't.  But there is time ahead for healing or other injuries.  Hence, I say the most effective RB to backup Cook is McKinnon, unless things change.  Instead of allowing him to test the market, assuming Cook will be fully healed, it's wisest to assess his ability and give him a contract worthy of his capability, rather than try to find an effective backup in the draft of FA.  Replacing a player for the sake of saving money isn't a wise decision in many instances where a player was effective in the system and developed chemistry with his team mates (e.g. Robison, Bridgewater, Greenway).  New players are 'unknowns' until they are tested in the system; e.g. Mike Wallace, C Ponder, C Patterson, and this guy:

th?id=OIP.8er0xN-hy8RPSUNuWVSmzQEsDh&pid

That's still debatable xD

Jerrick McKinnon won't get starter money. In his entire career, only 11 times has he had 15 or more carries in a game, and only 1 time has he carried the ball 20 times in a game. This is in 48 career games.

Volume matters. He's a high end backup who's best bet may be to stay in Minnesota.

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Still feels low given that McKinnon is a two year starter and Woodhead has always been a reserve. I'd value McKinnon at $3m per year to return to MN but I'm not convinced the open market will see him that low.

Woodhead has been way more productive than McKinnon. Regardless of role. 

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Woodhead has been way more injured than McKinnon. Regardless of role. 

FIFY.  Woodhead has suffered season-ending injuries in 3 out of the last 4 years.  I'm not sure that's all that productive.  Maybe earlier in his career...but even then, I only believe he's been more productive because of more opportunity.  It's not exactly like they had workhorse RBs in front of him in NE and San Diego taking his opportunities away.  

Sure he was injured. I’m not debating that Woodhead is healthy. But he’s been a more valuable player on the field. And that’s what he was paid for. McKinnon is more akin to Jaquizz Rogers than Woodhead in terms of impact. And he will likely be paid as such. 

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

With the way Murray's contract is set up (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/latavius-murray-12463/), I don't think he will be back next year unless he makes himself extremely valuable. His cap hit jumps up to 6.3M with only 1.2M in dead cap if cut.

Important to remember too, Murray was given that contract to be the starter. I wonder if they'd first approach him about a possible restructure?

The comparisons from Jet to Woodhead are also interesting. Woodhead's career high in carries is 106, while McKinnon has already had two seasons with more than that. Now, that could be because Woodhead hasn't ever really had the starting role for more than a few games, but maybe there's a reason for that beyond just the starter staying healthy.

Also important to factor in that Woodhead's contract was given to a 32-year old RB coming off an injury that forced him to miss 14 of 16 games, while McKinnon will be just 26 and has proven he can be a spot starter if necessary.

Woodhead has had 8 career games with 10+ carries with a career high of 16, while McKinnon has had 16 career games with 10+ carries with a career high of 20.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Volume matters. He's a high end backup who's best bet may be to stay in Minnesota.

Wouldn't he still try to look for a job where he wouldn't be stuck behind a second-year three-down RB?

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's still debatable xD

Jerrick McKinnon won't get starter money. In his entire career, only 11 times has he had 15 or more carries in a game, and only 1 time has he carried the ball 20 times in a game. This is in 48 career games.

I'm not going back a page or two to see if I mistakenly suggested McK get starters money.  But someone who isn't producing is getting starters money and would be the more likely RB to let go if salary cap space were the primary concern of Rick Pickumulator Spielman.  I tend to focus on output, and there's still uncertainty about the output of all 3 RBs being discussed, especially since two are injured or recovering from the effects of an injury, and ... an injury could happen to anyone { a corollary of 'anything could happen' } of the 3.

When the time comes, Pickumulator Spielman will decide based on med reports and output over the last few years, and more recently, output of each RB in the Shurmur O Scheme with the 'new' OL.

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

But McKinnon has only ever been a starter because of injury. He’s never earned a starting job. And he’s not going to be a starter next year, either.

Did we ever realistically expect that McKinnon was going to unseat our starter up until maybe this year? He has played with AP on the roster all but this year, and there is no way that he is going to start over him unless it is because of injury or suspension, which has been the case. This season was his best bet to earn the starting job, and up until the draft he probably could have been considered a toss up to be the guy with Murray. Dalvin came in and stole the show because he is more talented, and for all we know he could be one of the better backs in the league. It still doesn't disqualify McKinnon from being starter quality, especially on certain teams. He has shown enough in his time in MN where he starts that he could potentially fill a starting role on certain teams. He has definitely shown to be a quality #2 and change of pace guy at the very least. End of the day, starter money for RB's isn't that much unless you are in the upper echelon, which he is not. I definitely think he would be worth at least $3m per year, and depending on the situation he could absolutely earn a bit more.

Archived