Jet! (and Murray! too)

vike daddy

10 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would be surprised to find any team that wanted him as their starter -- Vikings included. They signed Murray and drafted Cook for a reason.

That's uncertain; he likely won't be given any such chance because he hasn't been able to prove anything playing behind AP and Cook. 

He's still on his rookie contract, so it's unsure what will happen in FA.  But there's uncertainty regarding both of the two alternatives due to their injuries.

I don't think he'll start anywhere, assuming one other Viking RB returns healthy and effective.  But he may be kept as insurance against the other RBs not being ready.

• 2 weeks later...

It was another all-around impressive outing for running back Jerick McKinnon, who finished the game as the Vikings leading rusher with 50 yards on 14 carries and the leading receiver with 72 yards on six catches. McKinnon had a one-yard touchdown and the subsequent two-point conversion run late in the 3rd quarter that gave the Vikings a lead they would not relinquish. Sunday’s game was the third for McKinnon with 100+ all-purpose yards and the touchdown was his fourth of the season. 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/8-Takeaways-From-the-Vikings-Win-Over-Cleveland/d1447906-3c91-4b2e-a970-aac755a6a35a?sf128755014=1

• 1 month later...

66gj0k.jpg

If Jerick McKinnon looked like he was right at home Sunday, it’s because he was, and that’s exactly why he did a little dance after scoring the Vikings’ first touchdown. The fourth-year running back so looked forward to playing in his hometown that he planned in advance to do the “Dirty Bird,” a catchy song and dance popularized by former Falcons running back Jamal Anderson in 1998 en route to the franchise’s first Super Bowl appearance. McKinnon was 6 years old at the time, and he remembers vividly the way Anderson would high step and flap his arms in celebration after scoring. So, after catching a 2-yard-pass from Case Keenum to give the Vikings (10-2) a 7-3 lead with 10:01 left in the second quarter, the former Georgia Southern star busted a move.

McKinnon: “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I grew up watching the Atlanta Falcons and Jamal Anderson do the Dirty Bird. I wanted to do it two years ago when we played here, but I didn’t get the chance so I did it Sunday. It’s real special, just a blessing. It’s good to be back, good to get a ‘W.’ This is probably one of the biggest wins for me of the season. I’m very thankful. It was just a blessing to be able to be back home, and see a lot of family. I saw my high school coach before the game. A dream come true.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/03/when-in-rome-vikings-rb-jerick-mckinnon-goes-dirty-bird-on-falcons/

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

66gj0k.jpg

If Jerick McKinnon looked like he was right at home Sunday, it’s because he was, and that’s exactly why he did a little dance after scoring the Vikings’ first touchdown. The fourth-year running back so looked forward to playing in his hometown that he planned in advance to do the “Dirty Bird,” a catchy song and dance popularized by former Falcons running back Jamal Anderson in 1998 en route to the franchise’s first Super Bowl appearance. McKinnon was 6 years old at the time, and he remembers vividly the way Anderson would high step and flap his arms in celebration after scoring. So, after catching a 2-yard-pass from Case Keenum to give the Vikings (10-2) a 7-3 lead with 10:01 left in the second quarter, the former Georgia Southern star busted a move.

McKinnon: “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I grew up watching the Atlanta Falcons and Jamal Anderson do the Dirty Bird. I wanted to do it two years ago when we played here, but I didn’t get the chance so I did it Sunday. It’s real special, just a blessing. It’s good to be back, good to get a ‘W.’ This is probably one of the biggest wins for me of the season. I’m very thankful. It was just a blessing to be able to be back home, and see a lot of family. I saw my high school coach before the game. A dream come true.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/03/when-in-rome-vikings-rb-jerick-mckinnon-goes-dirty-bird-on-falcons/

I loved his dirty bird dance yesterday. I would love to see him come back next year, but that will be a very loaded backfield.

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

are Cook, Murray, McKinnon, and Ham too many to keep?

At the current price-tags?  Probably yes.  I would suspect that they are going to have to either let McKinnon walk or ask Murray to take a pay-cut.  

34 minutes ago, disaacs said:

At the current price-tags?  Probably yes.  I would suspect that they are going to have to either let McKinnon walk or ask Murray to take a pay-cut.  

Murray has looked better and better the further removed from surgery he is.  Would he play for much less than he is making now?  He sure is proving valuable this season, runs hard and fast, and breaks tackles.

16 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Murray has looked better and better the further removed from surgery he is.  Would he play for much less than he is making now?  He sure is proving valuable this season, runs hard and fast, and breaks tackles.

I agree, but they aren't going to pay a backup $6M and I'm not sure he'd take a cut. 

Cook, Murray, McKinnon, and Ham are probably too good of a group to keep together monetarily. Being that we drafted McKinnon and that he is very versatile, I'd love to keep him, but if the dollars that would be put towards him would prevent us from signing another key player, say, one of our many defenders who is up for a new contract, then I suppose i'd be okay if we let him walk. I prefer McKinnon over Murray, because I don't think Murray offers much more than McKinnon does, even if he is seeing more snaps. My overall preference would be for Cook to come back as the starter, Mckinnon to be the primary backup, Ham to stay as the FB, and for us to release Murray and draft another RB in the middle rounds.

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I dunno. I'd rather lock up someone like Hunter, Diggs, Stephen etc. and then draft a RB later.

This is where I'm at. Let Murray and McKinnon test FA, if they leave we'll potentially be getting comp picks in 2019. Draft another rookie in the middle rounds and go from there. 

Archived