Jet! (and Murray! too)

vike daddy

Just now, Klomp said:

Well in that case.....

McKinnon can't do everything Murray does, either.

well if you don't believe me, Murray can't do everything McKinnon does, EITHER!

damnit I like them both.... this isn't fair...

I wish pro football players would play for free and we could afford them all.....

• 2 weeks later...

Vikings running back Jerick McKinnon wants an increased role next season. That isn’t likely to come with the Vikings, with Dalvin Cook coming back from an injury and Latavius Murray under contract for two more years. Thus, McKinnon may have played his final game for the Vikings.

McKinnon: “I want to be the guy. I don’t put in all the work in the offseason to come back and be in this role. I appreciate the role. It worked out well, but I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens, there’s a lot of things that go into that whole situation that can be determining factors: offensive schemes, financial reasons. It’ll be a lot to sit down and think about, but it will be a fun time to experience it.”

McKinnon becomes a free agent in March after catching a career-high 51 passes for 421 yards and two receiving touchdowns while rushing for 570 yards and three touchdowns. The Giants would seem a good fit for McKinnon, with Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur becoming New York’s new head coach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/22/jerick-mckinnons-desire-for-increased-role-could-have-him-moving-on/

I love Jet. But I agree that he is replaceable and it really shouldn’t be too difficult finding a receiving back/scat back. I’d like to bring him back though, and I’d rather have McKinnon than Murray. 

I just think he’s as good as gone though. He wants the chance to be a feature guy and that’s not happening here with Dalvin. Let McKinnon go get paid. Then look at a mid round guy that can catch the ball well out of the backfield and maybe return kicks. 

I would offer McKinnon about $3.5M to stay. If he doesn't sign that I wish him the best and enjoy the compensatory pick that goes along with contracts over $3.5M (a 6th rounder). Use a low pick or UDFA to find a sure handed replacement. Invest in the offensive line. With a solid line, there are lots of running backs that will be decent enough to play behind Cook. 

I am assuming at this point McKinnon will not return.  Even though the money is likely not going to be what he wants, opportunity for touches is going to better elsewhere with no Cook in the picture.  Doubt anyone dubs him their feature back, though Cook is a major hurdle as lead back.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't think McKinnon is going to find a team that will want him in the lead role. I see him testing the waters, not getting what he wants, and realizing that the grass is pretty green with the Vikes.

He may not find a spot to be the top RB but there are probably going to be several teams who could use him in the #2 role. He won't even get that opportunity in MN, I think Cook should be able to do most everything that McKinnon did in the passing game, and will probably be better at it too. 

I hope we find a late round RB to replace him.

The only problem is that we have a tendency to take RBs high, even as backups. (Gerhart, McKinnon) or we seem to prioritize the position (giving Murray starting money, Dalvin Cook being our top pick last year)

Hopefully Spielman doesn't overdraft a 3rd string RB.

18 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like McKinnon won't be back but I don't think he is a big loss. He's not an effective runner or return man, but does well in the passing game. I think we can draft his replacement or find a cheap FA.

His replacement can be found in round 6 or later to UDFA. 3rd RB. We need to remember resource allocation of our draft picks.

Archived