Browns sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (1 year deal, up to $10M)

RaidersAreOne

55 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Clowney is very good when healthy. Some of the injuries are more bad luck than his fault. People are comically underrating him here. And he's not even the primary pass rusher on this team. The Browns defense looks pretty loaded. Maybe another secondary player and a LB and it's pretty damn impressive.

....Richard Sherman.

That hit in college made this dude so much money. Actually insane. Such an overrated player. He has had great moments no doubt, but he is just not very productive at all and often injured. 10M seems like a reach imo. Who knows, maybe he finally finds a solid home and flourishes opposite Garrett 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Landog3 said:

That hit in college made this dude so much money. Actually insane. Such an overrated player. He has had great moments no doubt, but he is just not very productive at all and often injured. 10M seems like a reach imo. Who knows, maybe he finally finds a solid home and flourishes opposite Garrett 

He is a great run stopper. Last year we struggled with two things on defense, the run and the pass.

He instantly becomes our strongest player vs the run on the dline and probably among our linebackers too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

He has had a few pro bowls and he isnt close to 100 million in earnings.

Do we care about pro bowls? Those seasons were thoroughly average.

Bradford won rookie of the year. But compared to other rookie QB seasons it wasn't special at all.

And he's halfway there, which is why I said on his trail

As @Thomas5737 pointed out, his salary is that of a decent starter, not a stud.

It’s a one year deal that is going to have a cap hit this season of like 4 million due to structure (it’s a 5 year deal voidable after 1).

He’s injury prone and he doesn’t get many sacks.  I get that.

On the flip side he’s elite against the run and disruptive in the pass game (even if he’s not getting home) when he’s on the field.

He’s definitely not lived up to the hype, but that’s a pretty solid deal for the Browns when you look at what some of these DE’s are getting paid.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s a one year deal that is going to have a cap hit this season of like 4 million due to structure (it’s a 5 year deal voidable after 1).

On the flip side he’s elite against the run and disruptive in the pass game (even if he’s not getting home) when he’s on the field.

He’s definitely not lived up to the hype, but that’s a pretty solid deal for the Browns when you look at what some of these DE’s are getting paid.

I can concede that the deal is very team friendly - it's a lottery ticket in essence.

As long as you're not looking for Clowney to be the guy, or even the guy next to the guy, you're golden. He's not even a Robin, he's Alfred at this point. Alfred was important to Batman... but it ain't like he's going to fight the Joker 1v1 like poor Robin tried to, y'know?

People want to bring up injuries, and that's part of it - but there's an issue with his work ethic and improving his craft off the field. Steve Spurrier wasn't too wrong when he questioned Clowney's work ethic back in 2014:

https://www.si.com/campus-union/2014/02/19/steve-spurrier-on-jadeveon-clowneys-work-ethic-it-was-ok

This is sort of a fair assumption on Clowney to this point - his physical gifts are incredible, but overall? He's... OK. Just OK.

Temper expectations, let Clowney surprise you instead of disappoint you. (Not specific to you, @LETSGOBROWNIES - in general).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I can concede that the deal is very team friendly - it's a lottery ticket in essence.

As long as you're not looking for Clowney to be the guy, or even the guy next to the guy, you're golden. He's not even a Robin, he's Alfred at this point. Alfred was important to Batman... but it ain't like he's going to fight the Joker 1v1 like poor Robin tried to, y'know?

People want to bring up injuries, and that's part of it - but there's an issue with his work ethic and improving his craft off the field. Steve Spurrier wasn't too wrong when he questioned Clowney's work ethic back in 2014:

https://www.si.com/campus-union/2014/02/19/steve-spurrier-on-jadeveon-clowneys-work-ethic-it-was-ok

This is sort of a fair assumption on Clowney to this point - his physical gifts are incredible, but overall? He's... OK. Just OK.

Temper expectations, let Clowney surprise you instead of disappoint you. (Not specific to you, @LETSGOBROWNIES - in general).

Well for us Batman is Myles and Robin is Denzel, Johnson is Alfred.  Clowney, with a good year, could be the cool arse bat suit.

My expectations are he plays 8-10 games, hopefully during the playoffs, continues to play excellent run defense and uses the lack of market interest as a motivation.  

I still expect a DE sometime day one or two and he’ll be rotating with Takk who also has plenty to prove.

Clowney doesn’t singlehandedly fix our defense, but he does improve it when he’s on the field.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pretty much this. It's a low risk/potentially high reward signing for the Browns. If he plays well, great. If he's often injured and doesn't play much, then it's not a huge loss.

His health is my biggest concern. If he can stay healthy, then he should benefit from playing across from Garrett since he hasn't played with someone as dominant as Myles since Watt was in his prime.

Basically, I don't see how anyone can straight up hate this signing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well for us Batman is Myles and Robin is Denzel, Johnson is Alfred.  Clowney, with a good year, could be the cool arse bat suit.

My expectations are he plays 8-10 games, hopefully during the playoffs, continues to play excellent run defense and uses the lack of market interest as a motivation.  

I still expect a DE sometime day one or two and he’ll be rotating with Takk who also has plenty to prove.

Clowney doesn’t singlehandedly fix our defense, but he does improve it when he’s on the field.

And this is a very safe (if not very admirable) position to be in. 

Clowney as a guy in the top 2-3 is worrisome. Clowney as a rotational piece, a cog in the machine? That could work.

• Like 1