Jump to content

Browns sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (1 year deal, up to $10M)


Recommended Posts

Clowney is the perfect example of why being an exceptional athlete doesn't guarantee you will be a great pass rusher. The guy is so lacking in so many areas when it comes to getting to the QB. He will be solid for the Browns vs the run so it should be fine, but spending 10 million on a EDGE player that can't get to the QB is not something most players would get. If he had a different name the guy would be getting paid less than half of this.

Clowney is probably the most notable failure of a "can't miss guy" in recent memory. Imagine how good that Texan's D with Watt would have been if they drafted Mack first overall instead of Clowney...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Clowney is the perfect example of why being an exceptional athlete doesn't guarantee you will be a great pass rusher. The guy is so lacking in so many areas when it comes to getting to the QB. He will be solid for the Browns vs the run so it should be fine, but spending 10 million on a EDGE player that can't get to the QB is not something most players would get. If he had a different name the guy would be getting paid less than half of this.

Clowney is probably the most notable failure of a "can't miss guy" in recent memory. Imagine how good that Texan's D with Watt would have been if they drafted Mack first overall instead of Clowney...

I would be willing to be that Takk McKinley at 4.25m this year is going to outperform Clowney at 10m and I think thats the Browns galaxy brain longterm plan.

Give Takk 1 year working along with Myles/Clowney to get his career back on track. If he does, pay him for the longterm and go collect a comp pick for Clowney if he finally realizes this is his last chance.

The Browns are banking on it being pivotal years in their careers for both Takk/Clowney that they will get the most out of them. The Browns second DE spot next to Myles is last Last Chance U.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

spending 10 million on a EDGE player that can't get to the QB is not something most players would get. If he had a different name the guy would be getting paid less than half of this.

Well, if he doesn't get to the QB I imagine he will just make the 8 million which puts him in the Carl Nassib, Clelin Ferrell, Denico Autry, Emmanuel Ogbah territory. So while the name helps with opportunities I don't know if he is getting more money than comparable players.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Well Done Reaction GIF
 

all we need him to be is available and decent

I actually think he will play with his hair on fire, but I'm not confident he will be available all 17 games. Drafting another End in the first 2 rounds safeguards against if/when he is injured. 

Also, this may one of the few times he plays his natural position with his hand in the dirt. (outside of the 8 games he played in Seattle where he had a 87.3 rating)

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wow this is a tremendous signing

if he was still in college and not an oft-injured average OLB.

Rent free, 😆....its funny, all you guys commenting on what the Browns are doing sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you don't already know what's coming down the pipe. Carry on with your childish banter while we keep building.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The Browns are banking on it being pivotal years in their careers for both Takk/Clowney that they will get the most out of them. The Browns second DE spot next to Myles is last Last Chance U.

Or maybe a combination of McKinley and Clowney would equal what we could have gotten if we got one of the elite Edge guys in FA or Trade, at least for a season....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Or maybe a combination of McKinley and Clowney would equal what we could have gotten if we got one of the elite Edge guys in FA or Trade, at least for a season....

Maybe, but they have been chasing both of them for 2 seasons now. I would like to thing they at least want one of them to prove they can be the guy opposite of Myles for the longterm and the one surefire way to maximize a players ability it to threaten their future pay.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Maybe, but they have been chasing both of them for 2 seasons now. I would like to thing they at least want one of them to prove they can be the guy opposite of Myles for the longterm and the one surefire way to maximize a players ability it to threaten their future pay.

That is a heck of a carrot to dangle over their heads, could end up being a great strategy 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That is a heck of a carrot to dangle over their heads, could end up being a great strategy 

Right, that and the Browns doing all of these 1 year deals means if they do 'hit' on one of them--they can at bare minimum let them walk and get a comp. pick out of it.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We were terrible vs the run last year, we will be a lot better when clowney is on the field vs the run. 

With Myles, takk, and clowney they can all stay reasonably fresh  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m skeptical of him and in general think he’s a lazy slob who’s taken his high school hype further than anyone in history.

But if he’s in shape and motivated in the playoffs they could cause some problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Rent free, 😆....its funny, all you guys commenting on what the Browns are doing sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you don't already know what's coming down the pipe. Carry on with your childish banter while we keep building.

Another season of Clowney being injured for over half the season? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...