Early draft talk...

whodatworm23

I'm not a huge fan of Mayfield.  He's not Watson and I don't think I would take the chance on him.  With how Darnold has been slipping we might even have a chance at him.  At QB though we might want to consider looking at a FA option if we do look to get Mayfield.  Minnesota has 3 different QBs that will be FAs for next season, then you add in guys like Jimmy G or possibly even Alex Smith if the Chiefs decide to run with Mahomes going forward.

If Mayfield is available in the 3rd I would be happy if we took a chance on him. No need to blow a 1st round pick on someone who draws some comparisons to Manziel. 

That being said, I haven't seen him play. I thought for sure Manziel was a bust and Mayfield could be different.

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm not a huge fan of Mayfield.  He's not Watson and I don't think I would take the chance on him.  With how Darnold has been slipping we might even have a chance at him.  At QB though we might want to consider looking at a FA option if we do look to get Mayfield.  Minnesota has 3 different QBs that will be FAs for next season, then you add in guys like Jimmy G or possibly even Alex Smith if the Chiefs decide to run with Mahomes going forward.

Im big on Mayfield... Eapecially in Paytons offense. Love his accuarcy and deep ball touch. His size limatiations are overrated and i HATE the comps to Manziel! To me hes a mix of Russell Wilson and Brett Farve but not as talented as either yet still a special player im his own right.

9 hours ago, Raves said:

Biggest problem I see with Mayfield is that he's too emotional of a player.  Think Cam Newton or Vince Young but without the physical tools.

Both are no where near the passer Mayfield is... One thing a player simply doea not improve greatly (99% of the time) coming into the leauge is accuarcy and Mayfiled has it. Its like asking a likebacker to improve his instincts once he gets to the NFL... Not gonna happen ie Steph Anthony.

To many from a distance see Mayfield's passion and scrambling ability and quickly wanna comp Manziel. However when you breakdown his game tape you realize that unlike Manziel who scrammbled to run, Mayfield is more like Russell Wilson who scrambles to pass. He always keeps his eyes down field and his accuarcy does not drop off throwing on the run. When i evaluate Mayfield on plays where he isnt pressured out of the pocket he displays good quick feet, a quick throwing motion and ability to follow through his progressions... I did not see this from giys like Young and Manziel coming out. Mayfield also throws a full route tree of passes instead of simply chunking the ball deep hoping for Mike Evans to save the day. 

Does Mayfield play in a spread and will need develiping in a nfl system... Yes but so did Drew Brees. The thing is the kid has the arm, tools, smarts, leadership and it factor to be a very good nfl pro. Yes he will likley fall to somewhere mid round 2 to early round 3 I feel due to stereotype and character concerns but his skill set is an ideal fit for sean paytons offense and would give payton what hes kinda been alluding to wanting... A quarterback with Brees accuarcy with the mobility to make something out of nothing.

I see his passion as more of a hindrance because it causes him to take more risks than is necessary even compared to Brett Favre when things go bad.  He forces things when it starts going bad which causes more things to go bad and it snowballs.  He can get away with it playing in the Big 12, but in the NFL he won't get those same opportunities.  If he's there in the 3rd, I'm all for taking him and seeing if he can learn to use his passion to rally the team but to still play within himself.  Brees is a very emotional player as well, but he doesn't let his emotions cloud his judgement.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

I see his passion as more of a hindrance because it causes him to take more risks than is necessary even compared to Brett Favre when things go bad.  He forces things when it starts going bad which causes more things to go bad and it snowballs.  He can get away with it playing in the Big 12, but in the NFL he won't get those same opportunities.  If he's there in the 3rd, I'm all for taking him and seeing if he can learn to use his passion to rally the team but to still play within himself.  Brees is a very emotional player as well, but he doesn't let his emotions cloud his judgement.

Ill agree that "at times" he does allow this to happen but I also feel this can be structured with maturity... This is a young kid ans its not like im saying draft him as a starter. He will need time behind Brees to mature and absorb the system. Harnessing his emotions I feel is clearly something Mayfield can learn to do by observing how Brees operates for a few years.

That's really my only misgivings about him and why I said if we can get him in the 3rd I would take him.  I just have a feeling like he's always going to be that really emotional guy, it's much harder to change your personality than it is your throwing motion/reading of a defense, and he'll need to improve a lot.  Also I'm not referencing sticking the flag in the center of Ohio State's field, I was fine with that as if Ohio State didn't want to let something like that happen they should've won the game.  Just at QB I want a fiery guy that also keeps a cool head regardless of how the game is progressing.  Also since we don't have a 2nd round pick this year, which I think we can all agree we are more than fine being without since we got Kamara because of it, we have to choose between taking a QB that falls in the 1st, Sam Darnold possibly, or reach for one if we want to get a 1st round QB, and outside of one falling I don't like the idea of reaching.  I would be much more interested in trying to pick up one of the 3 Minnesota QBs to come in as a back-up if we need one and potential future QB.  Keenum has shown promise and with a good coach and Brees to mentor him he could develop nicely, same with Bridgewater, and Bradford if he's healthy has always shown promise.  All 3 are Free Agents next year so at least 1 if not 2+ will be hitting the market.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's really my only misgivings about him and why I said if we can get him in the 3rd I would take him.  I just have a feeling like he's always going to be that really emotional guy, it's much harder to change your personality than it is your throwing motion/reading of a defense, and he'll need to improve a lot.  Also I'm not referencing sticking the flag in the center of Ohio State's field, I was fine with that as if Ohio State didn't want to let something like that happen they should've won the game.  Just at QB I want a fiery guy that also keeps a cool head regardless of how the game is progressing.  Also since we don't have a 2nd round pick this year, which I think we can all agree we are more than fine being without since we got Kamara because of it, we have to choose between taking a QB that falls in the 1st, Sam Darnold possibly, or reach for one if we want to get a 1st round QB, and outside of one falling I don't like the idea of reaching.  I would be much more interested in trying to pick up one of the 3 Minnesota QBs to come in as a back-up if we need one and potential future QB.  Keenum has shown promise and with a good coach and Brees to mentor him he could develop nicely, same with Bridgewater, and Bradford if he's healthy has always shown promise.  All 3 are Free Agents next year so at least 1 if not 2+ will be hitting the market.

It will ultimately depend on how Payton views a guy like Mayfield... With the team playing the way they are I can all but assire you this front office will look to add a impact player in thr 1st in order to give this team and Brees more help in 2018. After that if they really like Mayfield i can see Loomis and Payton getting aggressive and trading up to get Mayfield in round 2. Ideally if they like him and he falls into their lap in round 3 would be the perfect sceniero. 

I think with Jimmy in SF now and the Browns possibly getting #1... Darnold will stay at USC, I even think Rosen could opt to stay at UCLA. Personally id take Mayfield over everyone but Darnold.

Saints must continue to add impact players this offseason. That 1st round pick needs to be a offensive playmaker or a defensive starter. 

7 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

You take what the draft gives you. This draft more than any other in recent history gives QBs. That’s not to say that we’ll get one in the first...but you have to target them. 

Ill agree that you must target QB's... Very rarely they fall into your lap. You have to identify your guy and get aggressive. However, like most drafts there are typically only about 18-22 players with TRUE 1st round grades. Not every prospect selected in round 1 had that grade so picking late 20's (hopefully saints are) you tend to be drafting the best 2nd round grade guys. This leads good teams to focus on players that will contribute immediately to help make a run at a title. This is how i see the Saints seeing themselves after this season.

Unless a prospect with a 1st round grade falls to them, they will take thd guy who will help this team make a superbowl run in 2018.

46 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I just don't see it with Baker, I really don't. And I was a huge fan of Watson. I'd be glad to be proven wrong if we drafted him but I just *really* don't see it. When i watch OU games, he just doesn't scream "future stud" to me like Watson did. 

My honest opinion... I dont see the saints drafting another young qb high for at least 2 more years.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

My honest opinion... I dont see the saints drafting another young qb high for at least 2 more years.

This means we draft at least 1 that Payton has a "vision" for.

It's hard to go shopping for anything when you already own one of the best there's ever been. I agree with you, Payton will never be happy with anyone but Brees. Whoever we bring in, whenever we bring them in, is going to have HUGE shoes to fill and will likely never measure up to Payton's expectations.

Be prepared, when Brees is done, our brass will give Payton about 3 years of failing with new blood, then they'll can him, and we'll become just another ball club for a while.

Archived