The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

You need to put players in the right position. I dont understand how some dont get this. 
If you draft a guy who has flaws, and then dont gameplan around those flaws, I dont blame the player, I blame the coach. Again we knew who Abrams was before we drafted him. Gunther either thought he could coach those things up, or use him in a specific way that it was ok, or else it makes no sense to draft him. 
-
We drafted Ruggs for his speed. If we only put him in in the Redzone, and only threw jump balls to him, it defeats the purpose of drafting him for his speed. 
if thats what we were doing, wed just be calling Ruggs even though we clearly arent using him right

We also drafted Ferrell #4 overall because he fit Guenther's "scheme" better than other edge players on the board. And how many safeties are thriving in the league that struggle in coverage? Not to mention Guenther also pigeon holed Joyner at SCB when he struggled there because he didn't like smaller safeties. 

How are you going to use Abram in a way that makes him a super effective player? 

lol Exactly, we drafted a box safety in the first. 
BP now says Abrams sucks because he cant play FS lol.

Thats not on the player, thats on the coaching staff lol

Even in a split safety scheme one guy is more of a FS and the other guy is more of a SS. And in Bradley's scheme the other safety still has to be able to cover. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

We also drafted Ferrell #4 overall because he fit Guenther's "scheme" better than other edge players on the board. And how many safeties are thriving in the league that struggle in coverage? Not to mention Guenther also pigeon holed Joyner at SCB when he struggled there because he didn't like smaller safeties. 

How are you going to use Abram in a way that makes him a super effective player? 

Yea again though we reached on these players, Im not arguing we didnt reach. 
Im saying if you draft a player with flaws, id expect the team / DC to have a way to use the player. 
That is why we had to let PG go. Sure we didnt have a ton of talent, but, we used some high picks on D that havent worked out. 
I do think its Gruden calling the shots, but, he isnt going to fire himself, so fire the DC who im guessing was involved in the draft. 

-
Make abrams super effective? Im not sure, but Id start with playing him in the box. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

That is why we had to let PG go. Sure we didnt have a ton of talent, but, we used some high picks on D that havent worked out. 
I do think its Gruden calling the shots, but, he isnt going to fire himself, so fire the DC who im guessing was involved in the draft. 

Make abrams super effective? Im not sure, but Id start with playing him in the box. 

Most of the picks we made and free agents we signed were guys that were supposed to be good fits in Guenther's scheme. 

According to PFF Abram played 55% of his snaps in the box last year. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Even in a split safety scheme one guy is more of a FS and the other guy is more of a SS. And in Bradley's scheme the other safety still has to be able to cover. 

If we were to draft a safety in the first or 2nd this year, I think we would see times of having, 3 safeties on the field. 
a 4-2-5, with say Arnette, Mullen, KJ, Abrams plus (Grant, Moehrig, whoever), wouldnt be the worst in passing downs IMO. But it would require creative schemes. 

Most of the picks we made and free agents we signed were guys that were supposed to be good fits in Guenther's scheme. 

According to PFF Abram played 55% of his snaps in the box last year. 

Id be willing to bet that the 45% of his plays outside of the box are the real WTF plays that make us think Abrams is a bum. 

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Id be willing to bet that the 45% of his plays outside of the box are the real WTF plays that make us think Abrams is a bum. 

The fact that Mayock said Joseph was brought back as an insurance policy for Abram says a lot about how they feel about him.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

The whole point is it should be a way higher % than that. In a cover 3, it will be.

Abram should be better in a box role but we'll see. Kam Chancellor was still a pretty good coverage defender, Abram was terrible in coverage last season. 

The fact that Mayock said Joseph was brought back as an insurance policy for Abram says a lot about how they feel about him.

that they paid an insurance policy basically the vet min, should mean they are high on Abram?
or bringing him back means they are low on Abram?

• Like 1

Abram should be better in a box role but we'll see. Kam Chancellor was still a pretty good coverage defender, Abram was terrible in coverage last season. 

They drafted Abram to be the Kam of our D no doubt about that in mind, but Kam was all pro for a reason. 
If we are only going to judge Abram on a is he the next Kam basis then I agree, he is a bum

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't know if he'll be better but i know that's the role he should play.

• Like 1

They drafted Abram to be the Kam of our D no doubt about that in mind, but Kam was all pro for a reason. 
If we are only going to judge Abram on a is he the next Kam basis then I agree, he is a bum

A safety drafted as highly as Abram was shouldn't be as limited in coverage as he is.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'd say bringing him back means they're not very high on Abram. 

fair, if they had given KJ real money Id definitely agree with you there. 
With him signing for 1.2 mil, to me its just bringing a guy back that they know. But i could def be wrong here