The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

James is making 2.5M, same as Zay Jones. A guy making 2.5M isn't assured a starting spot. Nick Martin is making 1.75M. That's not a huge difference. Denzelle Good is making 4M and they'd gladly see Simpson earn the starting spot over him.

Btw, there were more details added to James' contract and he actually got 4M fully guaranteed (2.5M this year and a 1.5M roster bonus next year).

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

James is making 2.5M, same as Zay Jones. A guy making 2.5M isn't assured a starting spot. Nick Martin is making 1.75M. That's not a huge difference. Denzelle Good is making 4M and they'd gladly see Simpson earn the starting spot over him.

Btw, there were more details added to James' contract and he actually got 4M fully guaranteed (2.5M this year and a 1.5M roster bonus next year).

He's the 19th highest paid C in the league, Vic said it's basically guaranteed he's going to start. 

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Julio for a 2nd IMO would be a great deal. If we get 2-3 years out of him, this offense will be scary. I'd also make a push to sign Sheldon Richardson if he's interested at all in playing here.

It would be but my only concern is the fact that he wants a new contract from his new team. I'm assuming he'll want at least $20M APY. Not sure I'd be thrilled with paying a 35 year old Julio that type of money. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It would be but my only concern is the fact that he wants a new contract from his new team. I'm assuming he'll want at least $20M APY. Not sure I'd be thrilled with paying a 35 year old Julio that type of money. 

If he wants a new deal, I might be out. The cap is going up a lot next year though.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Muse, and Amik are cut with a bad training camp. Especially if other players have strong camps. They need to prove themselves, at least be good with the 2s. This staff was already over Hurst, Key. The days of underachieving are over 

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He's the 19th highest paid C in the league, Vic said it's basically guaranteed he's going to start. 

Vic said lots of inaccurate stuff lately IMO.

I mean sure, the writing is on the wall, they want him to start and to develope into a quality starter, but that's it. I doubt they will force him into a starting position if Martin looks clearly better. They must know that Carr needs a steady OL, especially in the middle...

Andre can pick up an injury along they way, so the faces are saved and still the best OC starts.

I'm not saying this will happen, I just saying that Vic knows as much as we do IMO...

• Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 9:35 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Julio for a 2nd IMO would be a great deal. If we get 2-3 years out of him, this offense will be scary. I'd also make a push to sign Sheldon Richardson if he's interested at all in playing here.

Bit surprised we didn't take a long look at Geno Atkins, I would have thought he fits the Gus Bradley defence but maybe we're happy with the guys we got. In some ways I hope that's the case as that could mean they are showing something the coaches like, and I gave a bit more belief in the Gus Bradley regime than the PG one. The thing that would concern me is if we sign one of these guys late in the off season as that could indicate the guys we've brought in have been given a chance but the coaches are concerned they're not up to scratch and were left scrambling for a starter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Bit surprised we didn't take a long look at Geno Atkins, I would have thought he fits the Gus Bradley defence but maybe we're happy with the guys we got. In some ways I hope that's the case as that could mean they are showing something the coaches like, and I gave a bit more belief in the Gus Bradley regime than the PG one. The thing that would concern me is if we sign one of these guys late in the off season as that could indicate the guys we've brought in have been given a chance but the coaches are concerned they're not up to scratch and were left scrambling for a starter. 

I could be wrong but i don't think he's a fit. Seems like his prototype 3T requires arm length which Atkins doesn't have. Then again, they signed Stills and he doesn't either. He's kind of an outlier though. It makes sense when the DTs are asked to control the LOS more than shoot into the backfield. Hurst is an Atkins type and not a great fit either.

He's only going to play for 4-3, upfield teams as a three-technique. That's the only place that works for him.

He was a perfect fit with PG because that's obviously the same system Atkins had success with.

But like i said, Stills is more like them than Bradley's usual 3T so how does he fit?

Amongst remaining FAs, Sheldon Richardson is closer to the prototype in that scheme. I don't know if they feel Jefferson/Thomas/Philon is good enough though.

One last thing, Bradley's defense usually doesn't produce high sack numbers from the DT position. Senderrick Marks once had 8.5 sacks and Malik Jackson 6.5 but that's the only 2 times a DT had more than 5 sacks under Bradley. DEs get the sacks in that scheme.

On the other hand, PG's scheme "worked" in Cincinnati when Atkins was getting around 10 sacks/season. Hence Collins being the key, a broken one in his case.

Edited by oakdb36

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I could be wrong but i don't think he's a fit. Seems like his prototype 3T requires arm length which Atkins doesn't have. Then again, they signed Stills and he doesn't either. He's kind of an outlier though. It makes sense when the DTs are asked to control the LOS more than shoot into the backfield. Hurst is an Atkins type and not a great fit either.

You could be right, I was more thinking from the point of a smaller DT that is still strong and reasonably stout against the run and able to anchor. Atkins doesn't have length but I wouldn't say Thomas, Philon or Stills are particularly rangy either. I guess it's all hypothesis until we see it out on the field.......

9 hours ago, Rolni said:

I mean sure, the writing is on the wall, they want him to start and to develope into a quality starter, but that's it. I doubt they will force him into a starting position if Martin looks clearly better. They must know that Carr needs a

The Raiders have shown in the Gruden/Mayock era that you are going to start if you were a high draft pick/getting paid a lot even if there are better players on the roster at your position. 

17 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Muse, and Amik are cut with a bad training camp. Especially if other players have strong camps. They need to prove themselves, at least be good with the 2s. This staff was already over Hurst, Key. The days of underachieving are over 

i dont see it, maybe next year. Never know though