The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

On 6/11/2021 at 2:28 PM, drfrey13 said:

Arnette will be better in the slot.  From the times I saw him in college, which was not a lot, he looked better in the slot than he did on the outside.  That is also why I wanted to give Amik a shot on the outside.  I could be absolutely wrong but I feel it is another instance of this team over thinking it and depending on measurables to much.

The thing that worries me about Arnette in the slot is that he really struggled tackling last season. Having a broken wrist probably played a big role in that but it's something that could be an issue. 

On 6/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, agarcia34 said:

Cant blame Hayward for not wanting to move inside. He the one guy that has proven to be able to play outside. Im confident if he was beaten out fairly he would then move inside without issues, but thats not gonna happen.  

Arnette hasn't shown enough to start him outside over Hayward who has been one of the better CB's in the league for years and who's a guy that has played under Bradley for years. Based on our FA signings/draft picks and chatter from OTA's I don't even think Arnette will have that big of a role for us this season. Douglas and Wreh-Wilson both played better than Arnette last season. 

10 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i mean, i want to look at Lawson with a glass half full, and him "jumping out" means that he's gotten radically better... but honestly it just makes me more pessimistic because he's kind of been the same player for a while and him standing out might just speak to a bad corner group

Nevin Lawson has always been our best slot corner. Not a popular opinion, but he's got decent coverage, physical and puts his body on the line tackling, has the worst hands I've ever seen though. Hands like feet 😀

I think he's pretty underrated. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Arnette hasn't shown enough to start him outside over Hayward who has been one of the better CB's in the league for years and who's a guy that has played under Bradley for years. Based on our FA signings/draft picks and chatter from OTA's I don't even think Arnette will have that big of a role for us this season. Douglas and Wreh-Wilson both played better than Arnette last season. 

Agreed, if we're going on the best players then our best starting trio is probably Mullen, Hayward and Lawson although there is a couple weeks when Lawson is unavailable I think so Arnette may get a run for a little bit. That trio looks pretty solid to me although obviously if we don't have a pass rush again they'll struggle. I'm optimistic we'll have at least some semblance of pass rush though.

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Nevin Lawson has always been our best slot corner. Not a popular opinion, but he's got decent coverage, physical and puts his body on the line tackling, has the worst hands I've ever seen though. Hands like feet 😀

I think he's pretty underrated. 

cant think of another corner who has been in the nfl for 7 years and literally never intercepted a pass

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Very encouraging to hear Von Miller refer to Crosby as a "franchise player" and Yannick praise Crosby as well. Think he's due for a breakout year and will eventually be starting over Ferrell opposite of Yannick. 

I like what Gus Bradley said when he mentioned how he wants to essentially rush with 2 lines 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I like what Gus Bradley said when he mentioned how he wants to essentially rush with 2 lines 

Lots of great talk during OTA's and training camp. We have a ton of question marks at all 3 levels of the defense, lets see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Lots of great talk during OTA's and training camp. We have a ton of question marks at all 3 levels of the defense, lets see what happens. 

i always think of the 07 giants and their rotation. strahan/umenyiora/tuck all getting work in. its true that Tuck would move to 3 tech on some downs so all 3 could line up, but all 3 still primarily played end. even kawika mitchell and matias kiwanuka would get some edge rush looks

Just now, Turnobili said:

i always think of the 07 giants and their rotation. strahan/umenyiora/tuck all getting work in. its true that Tuck would move to 3 tech on some downs so all 3 could line up, but all 3 still primarily played end. even kawika mitchell and matias kiwanuka would get some edge rush looks

Strahan and Tuck were All-Pro, double digit sack players though. Ferrell hasn't really shown anything as a pass rusher at all. He has 6.5 sacks in 26 games and 3.5 of those came against the Chargers who had one of the worst OL in the league and 2 came against the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Strahan and Tuck were All-Pro, double digit sack players though. Ferrell hasn't really shown anything as a pass rusher at all. He has 6.5 sacks in 26 games and 3.5 of those came against the Chargers who had one of the worst OL in the league and 2 came against the Jets. 

lol at no point did i suggest that our pass rush is at that level. was more speaking to the concept of having "two lines" so people stay fresh. those guys had a good rotation of edge rushers, not just 2 all pros who did all the heavy lifting

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

lol at no point did i suggest that our pass rush is at that level. was more speaking to the concept of having "two lines" so people stay fresh. those guys had a good rotation of edge rushers, not just 2 all pros who did all the heavy lifting

Ferrell's skill set is probably better suited to rush from the interior so it's worth a shot but man idk about that guy.