The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

On 6/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, Turnobili said:

cant think of another corner who has been in the nfl for 7 years and literally never intercepted a pass

Yeh, he has absolutely terrible ball skills......the Mahomes drop where he threw it right to him was laughable. He's not going to make many big plays but his coverage I've always thought was good and his tackling great so after so many years of flimsy CBs for us I can live with that. I know you're not a fan and can respect that but I honestly like him as a player.

Edited by Darbsk

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Lots of great talk during OTA's and training camp. We have a ton of question marks at all 3 levels of the defense, lets see what happens. 

100% I just like how they're not talking up one player as the key of the entire defense. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, he has absolutely terrible ball skills......the Machines drop where he threw it right to him was laughable. He's not going to make many big plays but his coverage I've always thought was good and his tackling great so after so many years of flimsy CBs for us I can live with that. I know you're not a fan and can respect that but I honestly like him as a player.

IIRC he has the record for the most starts without allowing a WR to go for 100+ yards on him in coverage. Hard to pick off passes when they're not throwing your way... 😏

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Keeping healthy will be key for him. Dude has some blazing speed and route running.

He's been underrated for a while. When he's healthy, on a normal team he's a good bet for 800+ yards. I think everyone outside of waller will be pretty even in terms of targets and I think Ruggs takes the step to #2 in targets. Then Renfrow/Brown/Edwards split the rest.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's been underrated for a while. When he's healthy, on a normal team he's a good bet for 800+ yards. I think everyone outside of waller will be pretty even in terms of targets and I think Ruggs takes the step to #2 in targets. Then Renfrow/Brown/Edwards split the rest.

Ruggs needs at minimum 100 targets this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, NYRaider said:

Ruggs needs at minimum 100 targets this season. 

I think even more than that honestly. I'd like to see him get at least 120. If we aren't getting him involved on deep crossers, over routes, deep hitches, and slants, we're not playing to like half his game. No more ****** go routes and end arounds for 16 games.

I'm still pissed that Gruden utilized him so poorly as a decoy.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think even more than that honestly. I'd like to see him get at least 120. If we aren't getting him involved on deep crossers, over routes, deep hitches, and slants, we're not playing to like half his game. No more ****** go routes and end arounds for 16 games.

I'm still pissed that Gruden utilized him so poorly as a decoy.

I don't think he was ever really 100% last season and didn't have a ton of time to build chemistry with Carr. But yeah we have to do a much better job of getting him the ball in space this season. I wonder how many of his targets were go routes, lol.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I don't think he was ever really 100% last season and didn't have a ton of time to build chemistry with Carr. But yeah we have to do a much better job of getting him the ball in space this season. I wonder how many of his targets were go routes, lol.

Like most of them. It's so easy to stop someone going deep when you know that's all they do.

Chemistry with Carr will help. He's so fast that Carr underthrew him a lot. Whereas Agholor was more of a "normal" fast guy so he was able to hit him in stride more.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Like most of them. It's so easy to stop someone going deep when you know that's all they do.

Chemistry with Carr will help. He's so fast that Carr underthrew him a lot. Whereas Agholor was more of a "normal" fast guy so he was able to hit him in stride more.

Carr has also always had a tendency to throw floaters on deep passes so guys have to slow down to catch the ball. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr has also always had a tendency to throw floaters on deep passes so guys have to slow down to catch the ball. 

Yeah he likes the "touch" throws. I know he can drive those deep ones over the middle like he used to do with Coop. I want to see more of that in the offense.

• Like 1