The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

He should sharpen his mind.  Maybe call C. Woodson?  Saw this post and thought exactly that.  I hope he's actually watching tape.

Apparently he’s reached out multiple times or something according to his agent.

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Well I guess we'll never know.  

CWood said in an interview that he didn't reach out, but that is not a problem and he would help gladly when/if he reaches out

17 hours ago, Jerry said:

He should sharpen his mind.  Maybe call C. Woodson?  Saw this post and thought exactly that.  I hope he's actually watching tape.

This! It's a mental thing with Abram I feel, it seems like he's trying too hard at times and desperately wants to be the leader and tone setter but he really needs to calm it down and do the simple things well.

Does anyone know if Ron Milus is a cerebral coach who can really get through to Abram?

8 hours ago, Rolni said:

CWood said in an interview that he didn't reach out, but that is not a problem and he would help gladly when/if he reaches out

Yeah.  I'm more inclined to believe C. Woodson over J Abram's agent who is literally paid to represent Abram.  Someone said his agent reached out to him and I immediately thought "BS."

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This! It's a mental thing with Abram I feel, it seems like he's trying too hard at times and desperately wants to be the leader and tone setter but he really needs to calm it down and do the simple things well.

Does anyone know if Ron Milus is a cerebral coach who can really get through to Abram?

Abram has no instincts. You can't teach instincts. The best case for Abram is he's in a role where he can simply get to the ball because he has no anticipation and is always late, taking bad angles or worse... completely abandoning assignments. 

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Abram has no instincts. You can't teach instincts. The best case for Abram is he's in a role where he can simply get to the ball because he has no anticipation and is always late, taking bad angles or worse... completely abandoning assignments. 

I don't think playing football is all about instincts.  I think it's about playing your part and not abandoning your position.  Abram needs discipline right now more than anything else.  The KC game is a perfect example of what goes wrong when you don't play with discipline.  I think he has it in his mind though that he has to do more than necessary because he probably believed the DL couldn't maintain their assignments and contain Mahomes (Mahomes rolling out right).  I think he needs to develop trust with his teammates and become more disciplined in his assignments and he will improve.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I don't think playing football is all about instincts.  I think it's about playing your part and not abandoning your position.  Abram needs discipline right now more than anything else.  The KC game is a perfect example of what goes wrong when you don't play with discipline.  I think he has it in his mind though that he has to do more than necessary because he probably believed the DL couldn't maintain their assignments and contain Mahomes (Mahomes rolling out right).  I think he needs to develop trust with his teammates and become more disciplined in his assignments and he will improve.  

Certain positions are such as safety. Woodson (because he was brought up) saw things coming and beat receivers to the spot. He could anticipate what a team was wanting to do and disrupt it. 

Guys like Abram have to see it before they react and end up late or taking a bad angle. It's been the same thing with Abram back to college. Zero anticipation, zero feel for the game. He's a see ball.... try to hit ball as hard as possible player. Basically a meathead posing as safety. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Certain positions are such as safety. Woodson (because he was brought up) saw things coming and beat receivers to the spot. He could anticipate what a team was wanting to do and disrupt it. 

Guys like Abram have to see it before they react and end up late or taking a bad angle. It's been the same thing with Abram back to college. Zero anticipation, zero feel for the game. He's a see ball.... try to hit ball as hard as possible player. Basically a meathead posing as safety. 

Well we just have to dumb down the playbook for him and allow him to read and react.

1st round pick on a special teams gunner is the most Raider thing ever lol

• Like 1

Are you really comparing one of the best CBs of all time with a guy who played like 17 games.

You can put the best CBs NFL right now and Woodson in his is still better.

Have you seen the BD Williams breakdown of Abram. He's a lot better in coverage than most would give him credit for. For example, did you see him jump the "Yankee" (deep cross) concept vs the Saints. BD even said, he has only seen a handful of safeties make those kind of plays on the ball. 

Not saying he's already a stud, but there are flashes of high end talent.

See 6:25 onward 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Well we just have to dumb down the playbook for him and allow him to read and react.

Better idea... move on from a player that sucks and needs a dumbed down playbook and role

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Are you really comparing one of the best CBs of all time with a guy who played like 17 games.

You can put the best CBs NFL right now and Woodson in his is still better.

Someone said Woodson should help Abram with his mental game. I'm saying it's futile. You can teach what players like Woodson do instinctually 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Someone said Woodson should help Abram with his mental game. I'm saying it's futile. You can teach what players like Woodson do instinctually 

Well actually I watched many documentaries on Charles Woodson(who is my favorite football player of all time by the way). where he said he learned most of the mental part of the game when he went to the Packers and that before that he was just running with people in coverage. He said the coaching of Dom capers had a lot to do with that. He also attributes to how smooth his transition was at safety to a certain defensive backs coach that was here when he first came back to the raiders. Coaching does matter lol. Don't get me wrong some people are born with instincts but coaching and film study can you help players improve in the mental area of the game to where they don't need to be natural born in that area. 

• Like 1