The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Id guess the reason to this is because, shutting down the Raiders essentially means taking away the run game. Then worry about Waller and try to limit him. 
If you can do that, Nelly isnt the type of guy who is going to just take over a game IMO. 

When Agholor isnt the threat of an O, he is a great roll player, has the speed to win a 1-1 deep, so if the safety cheats for a second hes gone. 
Id imagine, in our 8 losses, teams focused on shutting down the run game. shutting down the run leads to more 3rd and longs, and Nelly has the speed to turn a 3rd and long into a td. 

Id imagine, In our wins, we are either running the ball well, feeding waller, or just spreading the ball around to everyone. 
In our losses, we just couldnt run the ball. And not only that, Gruden stays committed to long to it. Which ends up with a lot of 3rd and 7+

We were 7-3 when we rushed for 100+ yards, with two of those loses being the Chargers and Dolphins games where we completely melted down at the end. And 1-5 in games where we were held to under 100 rushing yards, with the 1 win being the Jets miracle game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We were 7-3 when we rushed for 100+ yards, with two of those loses being the Chargers and Dolphins games where we completely melted down at the end. And 1-5 in games where we were held to under 100 rushing yards, with the 1 win being the Jets miracle game.

This I think is an encouraging stat, because in todays NFL, rushing for 100 yards in a game should be very easy. 
Especially since we are built for the run game. Crazy that as a team we were under 100 6 times last year. 

16 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

This I think is an encouraging stat, because in todays NFL, rushing for 100 yards in a game should be very easy. 
Especially since we are built for the run game. Crazy that as a team we were under 100 6 times last year. 

And two of those losses were games we should've won if we hadn't completely crapped the bed at the end.

• Like 1

Feeling a 1,300 yard season for Darren Waller this year. Look at the way he finished the season last year. 

200, 75, 150, 112, 117

Something clicked with him in those final 5 games. He some how got even better. His role on offense is only gonna get bigger as his game grows. 

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Feeling a 1,300 yard season for Darren Waller this year. Look at the way he finished the season last year. 

200, 75, 150, 112, 117

Something clicked with him in those final 5 games. He some how got even better. His role on offense is only gonna get bigger as his game grows. 

I forgot who said it but one of the beat guys said they are going to manufacture Waller more looks, ie frequent play design specifically for him. I mean duh of course but good to hear.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

200, 75, 150, 112, 117

Yeah Waller should just continue to improve, wouldn't mind if his production stayed the same or even decreased slightly if it means that guys like Ruggs and Edwards are more productive for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah Waller should just continue to improve, wouldn't mind if his production stayed the same or even decreased slightly if it means that guys like Ruggs and Edwards are more productive for us.

Yep. 

I'm totally cool with less.

Waller going 75-800-12 > 95-1200-7. 

I don't really care if any of our guys gobble  up yards as much as I care about TDs. Between the 20's, we're ridiculously efficient most of the time. Getting better in the red zone and taking advantage of that efficiency means more TDs than it does yards, imo. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:09 AM, BackinBlack said:

That's when the Raiders are down by multiple scores and give up on the running game to throw the ball.

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

That's when the Raiders are down by multiple scores and give up on the running game to throw the ball.

hmm, not to sure I agree with this. 
ATL our run game was brutal the entire game. 
KC was a 1 score game
Bills 1 score game

Colts Bucs, we def started just throwing, but our run game wasnt effective to start

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

hmm, not to sure I agree with this. 
ATL our run game was brutal the entire game. 
KC was a 1 score game
Bills 1 score game

Colts Bucs, we def started just throwing, but our run game wasnt effective to start

This pretty well covers it. 

It felt like our run game getting any traction was often a miracle. It wasn't pretty, even in wins. Not having a splash play RB certainly didn't help. Nor did Gruden abandoning drives for FGs that kept us behind on thr scoreboard. 

A revamped run game should help. And hopefully Gruden''s playcalling isn't so start-stop jerky this year. Way too many "Why would you do that THERE???" moments last season. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It felt like our run game getting any traction was often a miracle. It wasn't pretty, even in wins. Not having a splash play RB certainly didn't help. Nor did Gruden abandoning drives for FGs that kept us behind on thr scoreboard. 

No Richie or Trent also had a huge impact. 

• Like 3