The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

45 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Have you seen the BD Williams breakdown of Abram. He's a lot better in coverage than most would give him credit for. For example, did you see him jump the "Yankee" (deep cross) concept vs the Saints. BD even said, he has only seen a handful of safeties make those kind of plays on the ball. 

Not saying he's already a stud, but there are flashes of high end talent.

See 6:25 onward 

I've seen this. You can certainly find some splash plays that get you excited. But the bad and terrible far outweigh any highlights. 

Here are examples of his poor angles, poor tackling, eye discipline. Playing lost and out of control. Things you hope can be corrected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've seen this. You can certainly find some splash plays that get you excited. But the bad and terrible far outweigh any highlights. 

Here are examples of his poor angles, poor tackling, eye discipline. Playing lost and out of control. Things you hope can be corrected.

He definitely needs real coaching. This staff is as good as it gets for DB’s. If he can’t get it done with them, it’s a problem.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is actually my favorite film Breakdown to site when talking about Abrams because it shows all of the good and all of the bad. What were you find is with a lot of it a lot of the things he does bad he also does really good so his main issue is really inconsistency and playing out of control. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Instincts are something I think that a guy either has or doesn't. Abram plays fast and is a great athlete but yeah, he just always seems to make low IQ plays.

Abram got a lot to change. His play speed and his ability to chase is really good. Those are two things that you look for. His physical attributes are good. With him its all between the ears. If Bradley can give him a couple of things to focus on which this system has known to be able to do then I would expect a nice turn around for him. 

6 hours ago, Fracta said:

Abram won't change a thing. He'll always be looking for that highlight hit even if it means taking himself or other teammates out. Doubt he becomes this mentally discipline player just because Bradley is here.

Well he won’t really have a different choice. He either does and maybe becomes a player who can have a role in the NFL or stay doing what he’s doing and never able to be trusted by a team in the league 

Edited by reddevil

7 hours ago, reddevil said:

Well he won’t really have a different choice. He either does and maybe becomes a player who can have a role in the NFL or stay doing what he’s doing and never able to be trusted by a team in the league 

The fact that we brought Joseph back as insurance for Abram isn't a great sign that the staff believes in him.

24 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Abram can definitely change and get better. He needs a coach to humble him though. Actually get on him and pull him if he don't get it. 

Abram just lacks instincts in coverage and has since college. He's definitely a great athlete and lays the wood, but his style of play isn't really suited for the modern NFL. 

25 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Abram can definitely change and get better. He needs a coach to humble him though. Actually get on him and pull him if he don't get it. 

Yeah I agree, also needs to have better teammates round him where he can concentrate on his job and not think he has to make the big play. 

15 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Been the same player since college. No evidence he can improve thus far in his career. For as hard as he can hit, he's miserable in the open field.

Abram represents the worst for Raider fans.... He's going to be the prototypical player here who makes a splashy play or big hit and Raider fans go nuts. Only to be followed by mistakes, whiffs, bad angles and getting burned in coverage. But Raider fans will apologize for him for years because of those splash plays and draft positions. 

We've seen this story for years. Raider fans overrate the worst players because of some splashy plays. It's already happening with Abram. Graded out as the single worst safety in the league. Yet apparently all he needs is better coaching and Gus Bradley will fix him. I'm not convinced obviously. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Been the same player since college. No evidence he can improve thus far in his career. For as hard as he can hit, he's miserable in the open field.

Abram represents the worst for Raider fans.... He's going to be the prototypical player here who makes a splashy play or big hit and Raider fans go nuts. Only to be followed by mistakes, whiffs, bad angles and getting burned in coverage. But Raider fans will apologize for him for years because of those splash plays and draft positions. 

We've seen this story for years. Raider fans overrate the worst players because of some splashy plays. It's already happening with Abram. Graded out as the single worst safety in the league. Yet apparently all he needs is better coaching and Gus Bradley will fix him. I'm not convinced obviously. 

The splash plays show rare talent though. As BD said, how many safeties are making run stops when they’re out of the picture on even all 22. Or are recovering on a deep route to break up a pass on Tyreek hill. I think Abram plays like an idiot and needs to get a lot cleaned up, but let’s not act like he’s some kind of talentless bum.

• Like 1