The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

and today is Bryan Edwards hype day...

Offense isn’t the problem nor will be the reason we go beyond 8-8. I’ll be impressed When I hear that the defense is doing something against in the offense that was to 10 last year

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I guess my question is in your opinion what makes someone who played left tackle in college a good candidate to right tackle 

It would depend on the system I am trying to run.  I am not the best evaluator of o-linemen and I tend to rely on patterns.  What I would want to see is when I work them out can I put them on the right side and how quickly do I see improvement with footwork and balance.  I personally like to see RTs that are big and mean.  I want a guy that will drive the defender into the ground and then look for his next target whether it is a LBer, DB, or the waterboy.  I want him to act like Incognito in a funeral home until the whistle blows.  So I guess I would say footwork, balance, and mindset.  The one aspect that Leatherwood has going for him, I said this when we drafted him, is that he played RG.  That should make the transition easier for footwork and balance.  So I do not see him struggling as much as Parker but I do see some bumps in the road.  There was nothing that stood out to me that said he is the best player for this position that was available.

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It would depend on the system I am trying to run.  I am not the best evaluator of o-linemen and I tend to rely on patterns.  What I would want to see is when I work them out can I put them on the right side and how quickly do I see improvement with footwork and balance.  I personally like to see RTs that are big and mean.  I want a guy that will drive the defender into the ground and then look for his next target whether it is a LBer, DB, or the waterboy.  I want him to act like Incognito in a funeral home until the whistle blows.  So I guess I would say footwork, balance, and mindset.  The one aspect that Leatherwood has going for him, I said this when we drafted him, is that he played RG.  That should make the transition easier for footwork and balance.  So I do not see him struggling as much as Parker but I do see some bumps in the road.  There was nothing that stood out to me that said he is the best player for this position that was available.

I like to see how they do vs speed rushers on the left. If that’s a problem imo switching sides won’t fix it like being kicked inside. Measurables only go so far. Leather isn’t gonna get bullrushed. My biggest concern was him vs pass rushers as a rt esp vs speed pass rushers 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think that's a really good perspective. I think two things are key you have to be able to move well and you have to be strong and your house will have to be able to run block. I agree with the whole right guard thing(although I know that's not a popular opinion).

I think what people misunderstand is the fact that Leatherwood is the anti-parker. Parker what is a division 3 left tackle that they wanted to bring to the right side. It was more known for pass blocking and wasn't very strong. His traits were clearly more suited to play left tackle then right tackle. 

Here are parkers measurables

40 Yard Dash:5.37 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):15.23 (MPH)

20 Yard Split:3.10 seconds

10 Yard Split:1.83 seconds

Vertical Leap:28.5 inches

Broad Jump:(N/A) inches

20 Yd Shuttle:4.68 seconds

Three Cone:7.82 seconds

Now here are Leatherwoods 

40 Yard Dash: 4.96 

Vertical Leap: 34.5-inch

Broad jump: 9’10”

20 Yard Split: 2.84 seconds

10 Yard Split:  1.69 seconds

Three Cone: 7.45 seconds

20 Yd Shuttle: 4.65 seconds

Leatherwood seems to be better athletically in every category

Another key thing that I thought you mentioned that was a good point is it also comes down to what you want to do offensively. In our case Gruden is made it pretty clear that he wants to run the football. I don't think I saw anybody in this year's draft there is a right tackle candidate that run blocks better than leatherwood. I think someone who would be on par would be Taven Jenkins but again he also project more of a guard because of his 32 inch arms. So in my opinion I think Leatherwood gives us the best chance at right tackle to do what Gruden says he wants to do which is run block. It's also important to note that our past blocking doesn't need to be crazy good at right tackle for us to be able to pass the ball well as we saw last year that we had our best passing year in a long time with Sam Young(who just retired) at right tackle for most of the season. 

• Like 1