The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

that cut never made sense to me, he was a cheap 5th round salary. 

After they guaranteed Thomas' contract Hurst was gone.  He had zero dead money.  One of the reasons why I hated the Thomas contract.

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think that's a really good perspective. I think two things are key you have to be able to move well and you have to be strong and your house will have to be able to run block. I agree with the whole right guard thing(although I know that's not a popular opinion).

I think what people misunderstand is the fact that Leatherwood is the anti-parker. Parker what is a division 3 left tackle that they wanted to bring to the right side. It was more known for pass blocking and wasn't very strong. His traits were clearly more suited to play left tackle then right tackle. 

Here are parkers measurables

40 Yard Dash:5.37 seconds

40 Yard (MPH):15.23 (MPH)

20 Yard Split:3.10 seconds

10 Yard Split:1.83 seconds

Vertical Leap:28.5 inches

Broad Jump:(N/A) inches

20 Yd Shuttle:4.68 seconds

Three Cone:7.82 seconds

Now here are Leatherwoods 

40 Yard Dash: 4.96 

Vertical Leap: 34.5-inch

Broad jump: 9’10”

20 Yard Split: 2.84 seconds

10 Yard Split:  1.69 seconds

Three Cone: 7.45 seconds

20 Yd Shuttle: 4.65 seconds

Leatherwood seems to be better athletically in every category

Another key thing that I thought you mentioned that was a good point is it also comes down to what you want to do offensively. In our case Gruden is made it pretty clear that he wants to run the football. I don't think I saw anybody in this year's draft there is a right tackle candidate that run blocks better than leatherwood. I think someone who would be on par would be Taven Jenkins but again he also project more of a guard because of his 32 inch arms. So in my opinion I think Leatherwood gives us the best chance at right tackle to do what Gruden says he wants to do which is run block. It's also important to note that our past blocking doesn't need to be crazy good at right tackle for us to be able to pass the ball well as we saw last year that we had our best passing year in a long time with Sam Young(who just retired) at right tackle for most of the season. 

I do not think Leatherwood will be as bad as Parker.  Parker is the worst case scenario.  I think he is going to struggle early but where he goes from there I have no idea.  I criticize where they took him more than why they took him.  Also we have a lot of moving parts and question marks on the line with a QB that needs good blocking.  Taking to much risk.  If incognito did not get hurt last year, Hudson and Jackson get traded, combined with a LT drafted to play RT I would feel a lot more comfortable.  This many moving parts something is bound to fail.   I would like to see this team start to look at players for positions they have played well in the past.  Our coaches think they are smarter than everyone else and try to get cute. 

34 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Ted is not in Vegas but still works with the guys that are so maybe some info on why

I don’t know about “should’ve kept Mo Hurst” part but I think it makes sense bringing in more interior guys to create more competition especially after Irving getting cut

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It would depend on the system I am trying to run.  I am not the best evaluator of o-linemen and I tend to rely on patterns.  What I would want to see is when I work them out can I put them on the right side and how quickly do I see improvement with footwork and balance.  I personally like to see RTs that are big and mean.  I want a guy that will drive the defender into the ground and then look for his next target whether it is a LBer, DB, or the waterboy.  I want him to act like Incognito in a funeral home until the whistle blows.  So I guess I would say footwork, balance, and mindset.  The one aspect that Leatherwood has going for him, I said this when we drafted him, is that he played RG.  That should make the transition easier for footwork and balance.  So I do not see him struggling as much as Parker but I do see some bumps in the road.  There was nothing that stood out to me that said he is the best player for this position that was available.

Spitballing here. Would Gruden trade Miller to put Leatherwood at LT? I’d be pissed, but you never know what Gruden would do considering the Mack trade.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

i truly believe Edwards is gonna be a star

Loved his potential in the draft and was absolutely thrilled when we drafted him in the 3rd round. Thought that was great value and he is a guy I expect to get better and better, wouldn't shock me if he's our best WR by year end. He's got such great body control and is able to just get in position to make crucial catches, Carr us going to live throwing to him!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Loved his potential in the draft and was absolutely thrilled when we drafted him in the 3rd round. Thought that was great value and he is a guy I expect to get better and better, wouldn't shock me if he's our best WR by year end. He's got such great body control and is able to just get in position to make crucial catches, Carr us going to live throwing to him!

DC compared him to Devante 

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Spitballing here. Would Gruden trade Miller to put Leatherwood at LT? I’d be pissed, but you never know what Gruden would do considering the Mack trade.

Before the new contract there could have been a small chance but not after he just got $42 million guaranteed.  Miller would have to do something that Gruden took personal.  Everyone talks about Carr and Mack's friendship but I think that took a hit from the protest game.  Part of the reason why Gruden got rid of the entire roster in my opinion.  They turned on the previous coach.  On top of that Mack did not come and kiss the ring of the newly crowned king.  Gruden took it personal and made an example of him.  He did not care that he was crippling the team.  He had ten years to make it work.  Much of those circumstances are not in place now.  Miller is someone he brought in, is loyal to Gruden, and Gruden does not have the time to take a step back now.  Davis loves Gruden but that seat is going to start getting hot in the next 2 years.  I really think the chances of Miller moving to the right are higher than trading him.  Apparently Gruden is known for changing his mind all the time so you never know.

10 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Before the new contract there could have been a small chance but not after he just got $42 million guaranteed.  Miller would have to do something that Gruden took personal.  Everyone talks about Carr and Mack's friendship but I think that took a hit from the protest game.  Part of the reason why Gruden got rid of the entire roster in my opinion.  They turned on the previous coach.  On top of that Mack did not come and kiss the ring of the newly crowned king.  Gruden took it personal and made an example of him.  He did not care that he was crippling the team.  He had ten years to make it work.  Much of those circumstances are not in place now.  Miller is someone he brought in, is loyal to Gruden, and Gruden does not have the time to take a step back now.  Davis loves Gruden but that seat is going to start getting hot in the next 2 years.  I really think the chances of Miller moving to the right are higher than trading him.  Apparently Gruden is known for changing his mind all the time so you never know.

I was one of the few posters that liked the Miller pick. Gotta love those big uglies.