The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The splash plays show rare talent though. As BD said, how many safeties are making run stops when they’re out of the picture on even all 22. Or are recovering on a deep route to break up a pass on Tyreek hill. I think Abram plays like an idiot and needs to get a lot cleaned up, but let’s not act like he’s some kind of talentless bum.

Abram is definitely physically gifted but there's no denying he has a low football IQ.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, big_palooka said:

Better idea... move on from a player that sucks and needs a dumbed down playbook and role

hes played 1 season, and has traits you can coach up. It is frustrating, but i think once hes reigned in a bit hell be fine. One thing is, he needs to be held accountable, we cant just be letting him do as he pleases back there and leaving assignments or running up penalties. Hes working hard and has a year of experience to build on. I think a large part of his struggles is trying to do too much, he needs to trust his teammates and play assignment football, instead of always trying to be a hero. 

On 4/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, NYRaider said:

The fact that we brought Joseph back as insurance for Abram isn't a great sign that the staff believes in him.

hows that? Its not like we gave Joseph some huge contract. Theres familiarity there, and Joseph can be good depth. 

36 minutes ago, Geezy said:

hes played 1 season, and has traits you can coach up. It is frustrating, but i think once hes reigned in a bit hell be fine. One thing is, he needs to be held accountable, we cant just be letting him do as he pleases back there and leaving assignments or running up penalties. Hes working hard and has a year of experience to build on. I think a large part of his struggles is trying to do too much, he needs to trust his teammates and play assignment football, instead of always trying to be a hero. 

He's played like this since college. At a certain point you have to accept that he is who he is.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's played like this since college. At a certain point you have to accept that he is who he is.

If you draft a reckless / unreliable safety . . . you need to have a plan on how to use him in the first place. 
If you know Abrams is going to leave his zone, because he has 1000 times in the past, you shouldnt leave him as the last line of Defence.

We knew that he was a player who played off instincts. . .

This is one example I hated Paul Gaunther, we draft players, talked about why we love them after the draft, and then dont use them in any logical spot. 
PG admitted that Abram was a fast football player, who was best playing downhill, then wed see Abram playing the deep middle with under 2 min left in the game against KC.

Sure call Abram a bum for not making that play, but, if you put JJ Watt back there he isnt going to make that play either. 
Put players where they should be, and then lets talk about if they are a bum or not. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

thats where i think holding him accountable plays in, last year what pissed me off is hed make a bonehead play of miss an assignment and he wasnt benched. I think bringing in Joseph helps, because theres someone behind him that is an actual threat to take reps from him, unlie Leavitt lol 

17 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

If you draft a reckless / unreliable safety . . . you need to have a plan on how to use him in the first place. 
If you know Abrams is going to leave his zone, because he has 1000 times in the past, you shouldnt leave him as the last line of Defence.

We knew that he was a player who played off instincts. . .

This is one example I hated Paul Gaunther, we draft players, talked about why we love them after the draft, and then dont use them in any logical spot. 
PG admitted that Abram was a fast football player, who was best playing downhill, then wed see Abram playing the deep middle with under 2 min left in the game against KC.

Sure call Abram a bum for not making that play, but, if you put JJ Watt back there he isnt going to make that play either. 
Put players where they should be, and then lets talk about if they are a bum or not. 

Preach

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Preach

Preach? It's more excuses. You took a guy who can't cover and whiffs tackles in open space in round 1. 

Now the solution is hide him in your defense by most his supporters. He'll be fine as long as he has no responsibility and doesn't play in space. Pretty low bar for a guy you spent a frp on. 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Preach? It's more excuses. You took a guy who can't cover and whiffs tackles in open space in round 1. 

Now the solution is hide him in your defense by most his supporters. He'll be fine as long as he has no responsibility and doesn't play in space. Pretty low bar for a guy you spent a frp on. 

its not an excuse. Also that is on the staff not the player then. LOL. 
If you draft a guy in the 5th, put him in a specific role, and he excels becomes an all pro, people would say thats a steal of the draft. 

You need to put players in the right position. I dont understand how some dont get this. 
If you draft a guy who has flaws, and then dont gameplan around those flaws, I dont blame the player, I blame the coach. Again we knew who Abrams was before we drafted him. Gunther either thought he could coach those things up, or use him in a specific way that it was ok, or else it makes no sense to draft him. 
-
We drafted Ruggs for his speed. If we only put him in in the Redzone, and only threw jump balls to him, it defeats the purpose of drafting him for his speed. 
if thats what we were doing, wed just be calling Ruggs even though we clearly arent using him right

• Like 2

Blunt force-striker with the measurables and play demeanor teams look for from a down safety with nickel linebacker qualities. Abrams did an admirable job in coverage in Mississippi State's scheme but might not have the anticipation and ball skills to hold up in extended coverage duties. Abrams shines as a physical run defender with pursuit speed and energy to play sideline to sideline. He grades out as one of the better options for teams looking to deploy an effective "big nickel" defender near the box.

Abram's scouting report = Box defender. The Raiders played him as a split S. Play him where he belongs and see how it looks. Is a box S worth a 1st? Probably not but that's done now so the goal is to get the most out of him.

• Like 2

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Abram's scouting report = Box defender. The Raiders played him as a split S. Play him where he belongs and see how it looks. Is a box S worth a 1st? Probably not but that's done now so the goal is to get the most out of him.

lol Exactly, we drafted a box safety in the first. 
BP now says Abrams sucks because he cant play FS lol.

Thats not on the player, thats on the coaching staff lol