The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It is still lacking against the run but if Crosby's reckless play against the run was from Guenther asking him to play that way then there might be room to improve.  McCoy if healthy should help there.  I do like our line more this year if McCoy is healthy and Guenther being gone.

I don't for see the run being a problem with how many Ron stop being defensive ends we have in conjunction with the fact that Bradley sells out against the run with an 8 man box

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think that'd be what we'd use on passing downs with Hankins playing NT on running downs and Ferrell also seeing a lot of burns on running downs. 

Could be but I thought Crosby and Ngakoue were the starters as it stands right now.  I like Ferrell in a 4-3 under alignment playing the 5T and Wright playing the SAM next to him.  You can then bump him inside next to McCoy with Ngakoue and Crosby on the outside.  @Jeremy408 pointed out to me that the Nickel alignment will be our base.  I think in those situations you probably see Crosby and Ngakoue starting at DE.  I am not sure how they are going to play it but hopefully it works.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I don't for see the run being a problem with how many Ron stop being defensive ends we have in conjunction with the fact that Bradley sells out against the run with an 8 man box

I think it depends on who you have in and what you ask them to do.  Crosby last year looked like he forgot teams were allowed to run the ball on many occasions.  He would occasionally make a great stop against the run also.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think it depends on who you have in and what you ask them to do.  Crosby last year looked like he forgot teams were allowed to run the ball on many occasions.  He would occasionally make a great stop against the run also.

NOW THATS TRUE LOLOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I thought I read that one of his assignments in the PG defence was to crash down hard and so many times he did that and the runner just was left with a open lane outside. Not sure if the LBs may have been at fault or Crosby or Guenther but it happened often so something was awry with what we were doing. I'm interested to see our defensive front 7 in a system with a guy in Gus Bradley who might know what he's actually doing out there........

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I thought I read that one of his assignments in the PG defence was to crash down hard and so many times he did that and the runner just was left with a open lane outside. Not sure if the LBs may have been at fault or Crosby or Guenther but it happened often so something was awry with what we were doing. I'm interested to see our defensive front 7 in a system with a guy in Gus Bradley who might know what he's actually doing out there........

That’s all I’m saying. OK being honest: who knew who Paul Gunther was before we hired him?

Edited by Jeremy408

8 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

That’s all I’m saying. OK being honest: who knew who Paul Gunther was before we hired him?

I had no clue who he was and I wanted to keep Pagano.  I remember people telling me to calm down because Guenther was a good DC.  Pagano got the same treatment as Mack.  I guess I won that one 3 years later.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

I’d say everybody knew who he was. It’s wasn’t like he was plucked from obscurity like Mr. Bed and Breakfast. 

I can honestly say I didn’t know he was. And I’m also pretty sure Marvin Lewis(defensive coordinator of the legendary 2000 ravens)ran the defense. 

Edited by Jeremy408

22 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I can honestly say I didn’t know he was. And I’m also pretty sure Marvin Lewis(defensive coordinator of the legendary 2000 ravens)ran the defense. 

For the most part Gunther had really good to great front 4s to work with. Robert Geathers, Micheal Johnson Geno Atkins Carlos Dunlap etc. I’m sure Marvin Lewis helped as well. In the end he’s probably not very innovative

22 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

For the most part Gunther had really good to great front 4s to work with. Robert Geathers, Micheal Johnson Geno Atkins Carlos Dunlap etc. I’m sure Marvin Lewis helped as well. In the end he’s probably not very innovative

The problem with that is all four of them were there before he became defensive coordinator. The defense was built by Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer.

Before coming to the Raiders he had never had a starter younger than 24 years old. 

He’s never had to build a Defense from scratch. 

so think about this we gave a lot of first and second day draft picks along with a lot of huge creation signings to a coordinator that has 1. never had a starter younger than 24 years old. 2. never had to build a defense from scratch.

So when  The defense goes to crap, we shouldn’t be surprised by that. We should be more surprised that we gave him the resources and stuck with him for so long on the first place

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Very similar situation to KNJ with Pete Carrol.

Exactly. Difference is when KNJ came here he acknowledged in a that it's going to be a learning process. when Gunther came here he was touted as a defensive genius by Gruden and even the media for some reason lol

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Exactly. Difference is when KNJ came here he acknowledged in a that it's going to be a learning process. when Gunther came here he was touted as a defensive genius by Gruden and even the media for some reason lol

I can not remember the exact quote but he pretty much said he was not an X and Os guy or he did not understand X and Os.  My first thought was JDR will be coaching the defense and KNJ will be a cheerleader.

• Like 2