The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If we have the players to run it effectively we will run it more often.  If we do not then of course you stay away from it.  If you have the personnel and the knowledge to run every scheme effectively you will switch it up quite a bit.  That way you will keep the offense guessing the entire time.  We will be limited by what our players are physically and mentally capable of.  With a player like Wright it opens up the door for Bradley to run different sets effectively and therefore using it more often.  This will also allow the defense to counter the offensive changes.  Probably why teams would change their attack at the half against us the past few years and we could do nothing about it.  With the exception of the KC game our defense made zero adjustments at the half last year.  Last thing I want to hear come out of Bradley's mouth this year is we could have stopped with this setup but we did not have the players to run it.  Plain and simple that Wright knows how to and is capable of doing things our other LBs do not and those things fit different aspects of Bradley's system.

Do you think KJ Wright is the same player as Melvin Ingram ?

32 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Do you think KJ Wright is the same player as Melvin Ingram ?

No.  Wright is more of a 4-3 SLB and Ingram a 3-4.  That is why you sign Wright as the the SLB and when it is passing downs move him over and use Koonce as a situational pass rusher.  Wright is a better LB than Littleton and Morrow in my book and can play all the LB positions in Bradley's system.  He is just more of the type of player you want covering the TE rather than rush the passer.

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

No.  Wright is more of a 4-3 SLB and Ingram a 3-4.  That is why you sign Wright as the the SLB and when it is passing downs move him over and use Koonce as a situational pass rusher.  Wright is a better LB than Littleton and Morrow in my book and can play all the LB positions in Bradley's system.  He is just more of the type of player you want covering the TE rather than rush the passer.

Ah right you’ve completely changed your mind then cos only 3 weeks ago you were complaining about not signing Ingram as our SLB. 

Just now, Dessie said:

Ah right you’ve completely changed your mind then cos only 3 weeks ago you were complaining about not signing Ingram as our SLB. 

What I was saying is that we need a SLB.  Yes I wanted Ingram because he can play the role from a 3-4 rush OLB.  We could also have Wright play it as a 4-3 off the ball LB.  Point is we do not have anyone who can fit the role either way for our system.  Morrow or Littleton try to set the edge against a decent TE and they are going to get manhandled.  It is not what they are good at.  I think Kwiat could but others in here said I was crazy when I asked if he could.  Koonce I think could handle the role in a year but not this year.  I have not changed my mind.  Because I have switched to a different player after the other one is not available is not changing my overall perspective.

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

What I was saying is that we need a SLB.  Yes I wanted Ingram because he can play the role from a 3-4 rush OLB.  We could also have Wright play it as a 4-3 off the ball LB.  Point is we do not have anyone who can fit the role either way for our system.  Morrow or Littleton try to set the edge against a decent TE and they are going to get manhandled.  It is not what they are good at.  I think Kwiat could but others in here said I was crazy when I asked if he could.  Koonce I think could handle the role in a year but not this year.  I have not changed my mind.  Because I have switched to a different player after the other one is not available is not changing my overall perspective.

You’ve just completely changed perspective on what type of SLB we should go for lol. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I have a question for you guys: say none of the more talented 3T candidates pan out and we end up with Quinton Jefferson at 3T, would you guys consider him better than Malik Collins?

Personally I think McCoy is the best bet we have at this moment in time for an impact player at DT. However, if he struggles with injuries or whatever and Jefferson is our starting DT next to Hankins I think he'll be a decent upgrade over Collins.

He won't get abused and washed out so completely in the run as Maliek was and I think he may be good for 3 or 4 sacks too. He's not going to be making a Pro Bowl but will be average I believe, now whether that's good enough for the other parts of our D to click is another question. I think all three facets of our D will be better than last year but whether they'll be better enough with all the changes, maybe not as we were particularly awful last year apart from two games basically.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Personally I think McCoy is the best bet we have at this moment in time for an impact player at DT. However, if he struggles with injuries or whatever and Jefferson is our starting DT next to Hankins I think he'll be a decent upgrade over Collins.

He won't get abused and washed out so completely in the run as Maliek was and I think he may be good for 3 or 4 sacks too. He's not going to be making a Pro Bowl but will be average I believe, now whether that's good enough for the other parts of our D to click is another question. I think all three facets of our D will be better than last year but whether they'll be better enough with all the changes, maybe not as we were particularly awful last year apart from two games basically.

Here's the way I see it: Jeffersons the floor. Then it goes like this... 

Thomas has the highest ceiling but the lowest floor

Philon has a higher floor than Thomas but a lower ceiling

McCoy(even the 2019 version) would be exactly what we need if hes healthy and hes still the same as that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think we sign KJ Wright. It's coming soon. NFLrums hasn't been wrong much.

dont they just recirculate other rumors/reports? i dont think that account has any original reporting. besides, they havent reported Wright to the raiders, just that he considers them as or among his top options.

with that being said, i'm hoping that signing happens

Edited by Turnobili

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

You’ve just completely changed perspective on what type of SLB we should go for lol. 

We do not have an off the ball SLB or a 3-4 LB.  WE have neither.  If they were cheap enough I would sign both.  What is so hard to understand about this concept.  Ingram is available and we were talking to him I was hoping we would sign him.  Now we were talking to Wright and even if we had signed Ingram I would want to sign him.  Ingram is a vet that will have a similar role to what we expect out of Koonce.  Wright is just a really good all around LB that can play all 3 spots and knows the system probably better than anyone else on the team.  Both players are worth signing for the right price.  Now if Wright gets a 2 year $18 million deal I will not be happy with the signing and would probably rather role with Koonce and deal with the growing pains.  See how perspectives can change when the circumstances change.  Ingram got $4 so to me that was worth it especially after finding our that Nassib is probably our #3 DE.  If there is a player for the right price that is better than what we have we should sign them.  Not a tough concept to grasp.  If you have a better idea then feel free to let us know but as it stands right now the only people we have for the position are tweener safeties, our MLB from last year, and a rookie from Buffalo.  Not really inspiring.  Kwiat might be able to do it and I brought that up a long time ago as an off the ball SLB.  Koonce may end up being a good edge player in a 3-4 role but I do not think it happens this year.  Wright can do both but is not the best in pass rush.  So you can have Wright and bring Koonce in as a situational pass rusher.  

Here is a good write up with some videos.  Bradley has a lot of different concepts for his front 7 and needs chess pieces.

https://tapedontlie.substack.com/p/gus-bradleys-fronts-and-stunts

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Wright is just a really good all around LB that can play all 3 spots and knows the system probably better than anyone else on the team.  Both players are worth signing for the right price. 

I thought Wright had played all 3 LB positions over his career at least Sam and Mike. I'd do 2 year 8-10

3 minutes ago, G said:

I thought Wright had played all 3 LB positions over his career at least Sam and Mike. I'd do 2 year 8-10

He has but I believe Avril was the primary SLB in the 4-3 under and Wright played WLB.  He can play MLB but he was not going to get much playing time with Wagner their.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

dont they just recirculate other rumors/reports? i dont think that account has any original reporting. besides, they havent reported Wright to the raiders, just that he considers them as or among his top options.

with that being said, i'm hoping that signing happens

They do, but they've been seemingly first a few times and their guesses seem to be correct.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:03 PM, drfrey13 said:

How is not benching going to drop 22 lbs.  I call BS or our staff is BS.  No way he could not get some work in.  It is not ideal but there are other things you can do with out your hands.

How you gonna lift with a broken hand/wrist? 

• Like 1