The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

fair, if they had given KJ real money Id definitely agree with you there. 
With him signing for 1.2 mil, to me its just bringing a guy back that they know. But i could def be wrong here

Yeah, we'll see. I hope Abram and Arnette both improve this year and live up to their draft status, but their play last year didn't inspire a ton of confidence. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A safety drafted as highly as Abram was shouldn't be as limited in coverage as he is.

I agree here, my whole point is though, we knew Abram was limited in coverage when we drafted him. 
We still chose to draft him in the first. 

We either thought we could coach up his coverage, or had a plan to use him in a way to hide those limits. - - > Can we agree on this?
If agreed on that;
Then we knew he had his limits, but still thought he was a first round player even with those limits. 
--
We since the draft havent coached up his coverage, and we have not utilized him in a way to hide his flaws. 
--
So to recap, we knew he was limited, took him in the 1st because the pros outweight the cons, did nothing to adress the cons, and now call him a bust. 

Of course he was going to bust if thats how we use him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I agree here, my whole point is though, we knew Abram was limited in coverage when we drafted him. 
We still chose to draft him in the first. 

We knew Ferrell had limited athleticism/bend and drafted him in the 1st we also knew Arnette was a 24 year old CB with average physical tools and drafted him in the 1st. In general I think Mayock/Gruden have targeted guys they deemed more "pro ready" despite having limitations and it has back fired. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

We since the draft havent coached up his coverage, and we have not utilized him in a way to hide his flaws. 

Guys you draft in the 1st round should be difference makers, not guys that you have to go out of your way to hide. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

We knew Ferrell had limited athleticism/bend and drafted him in the 1st we also knew Arnette was a 24 year old CB with average physical tools and drafted him in the 1st. In general I think Mayock/Gruden have targeted guys they deemed more "pro ready" despite having limitations and it has back fired. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Guys you draft in the 1st round should be difference makers, not guys that you have to go out of your way to hide. 

Agreed, but for some reason the Raiders still drafted all 3 of those guys in the first.
Ferrell and Arnette werent even on my radar at the time of our picks lol. 

My whole point is though, we drafted those players for some reason. Id logically think that there Pros out weighed their Cons. But I dont know for sure why we drafted them.
We fired PG because he didnt develop any of the talent weve drafted on D, and used players in questionable positions. 

Some say PG shouldnt have been fired because we have no talent on D, so we of course were going to be bad. 

To that I say, if a DC cannot put players in the correct position, when they were the DC while we drafted them, they should not be the DC. 

57 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Preach? It's more excuses. You took a guy who can't cover and whiffs tackles in open space in round 1. 

Now the solution is hide him in your defense by most his supporters. He'll be fine as long as he has no responsibility and doesn't play in space. Pretty low bar for a guy you spent a frp on. 

I wonder what chancellor or Derwin James would've look like if they were playing interchangeably at free safety rather than in the box. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

i dont think anyone is arguing that. The point is, theyve been drafted and now you have to maximize their potential by putting them in positions to succeed. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

My whole point is though, we drafted those players for some reason. Id logically think that there Pros out weighed their Cons. But I dont know for sure why we drafted them.

I think we drafted all 3 of them because we had major holes at the positions (S, DE, CB) and all 3 guys were older players who were deemed to be "pro ready" despite having limitations. I also think Abram made an impression on the staff during the Senior Bowl.

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i dont think anyone is arguing that. The point is, theyve been drafted and now you have to maximize their potential by putting them in positions to succeed. 

It's difficult for safeties that struggle in coverage to succeed in the modern NFL. Which is why Keanu Neal, a former 1st round pick, who Abram was compared to during the pre-draft process, was just moved to LB. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

It's difficult for safeties that struggle in coverage to succeed in the modern NFL. Which is why Keanu Neal, a former 1st round pick, who Abram was compared to during the pre-draft process, was just moved to LB. 

now this is true but to throw it out there Abrams is faster and quicker by a large margin. Neal was slow even for safety

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

now this is true but to throw it out there Abrams is faster and quicker by a large margin. Neal was slow even for safety

Two of the most important things about being a successful safety are having good instincts and playing smart. Guys like Justin Simmons, Adrian Amos, Marcus Williams, and Harrison Smith aren't great athletes with 4.3 speed but they're among the best safeties in the league because they play with discipline and are instinctual in coverage.