The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Carr does have a quick release but not having reliable pass blocking also limits how often we can take shots down the field. If Incognito is out I highly doubt that our OL is going to be better at run blocking then our group of Miller - Incognito - Hudson - Jackson - Brown. Incognito, Hudson, and Brown are three of the best offensive linemen in the NFL. 

Are you the one paying the players? Who cares about the money saved, it's about having an OL that's actually good. 

Carr's release time hasn't changed between now and 2018. And throughout Carr's career we've actually done a very good job of protecting him outside of 2018. In 2018 he was sacked 51 times (3.1 per game), only threw for 19 TD and we went 4-12. In is other 6 years he was sacked on average 24 times (1.5 per game) and has averaged 25 TD per year.

Our offensive line this year, especially if Incognito isn't playing, is very comparable to the 2018 group.

So many fans on this forum were crying about how much we were paying Inc, Hudson, Jackson, and T. Brown.  So freaking many.  50M for 4 players is what they kept saying.  So we cut 3 of them and resign one for less and now people complain about how we aren't paying for a top tier line.  Inc went down, T. Brown ate the cow.  What were we really supposed to do?  I think we're redistributing our salary cap appropriately.  

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

So many fans on this forum were crying about how much we were paying Inc, Hudson, Jackson, and T. Brown.  So freaking many.  50M for 4 players is what they kept saying.  So we cut 3 of them and resign one for less and now people complain about how we aren't paying for a top tier line.  Inc went down, T. Brown ate the cow.  What were we really supposed to do?  I think we're redistributing our salary cap appropriately.  

I personally am not a minority owner of the Raiders and do not pay the players salaries, so I wasn't complaining about it. We're currently paying Ferrell, Nassib, Kwit, and Arnette like $30M combined and they're all backups on defense. Is that a more appropriate way to distribute the salary cap? 

It's not about the redesigning for less, our offensive line could legitimately be one of the worst in the NFL if Richie is hurt. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I personally am not a minority owner of the Raiders and do not pay the players salaries, so I wasn't complaining about it. We're currently paying Ferrell, Nassib, Kwit, and Arnette like $30M combined and they're all backups on defense. Is that a more appropriate way to distribute the salary cap? 

It's not about the redesigning for less, our offensive line could legitimately be one of the worst in the NFL if Richie is hurt. 

Cle - 8.5

Nassib - 4.9

Kwit - 4.8

Arnette - 3

21M is still a lot.  I'm not going to disagree with your opinion.  Obviously you're hitting on 2 picks that haven't panned out yet and Ferrell probably wont.  Kwit is actually a really good player IMO.  I think Nassib was a product of the system and talent that he had in TB.  It's like DEs playing with A. Donald and then getting overpaid.  It just happens.

Either way, we obviously have to continue to make the right moves.  All we can hope for.

32 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Either way, we obviously have to continue to make the right moves.  All we can hope for.

As I've said before the one year Carr got hit a lot was the worst season of his career. We were 1-5 in games we were held under 100 rushing yards last season. 

• Like 1

Assuming White is destined for IR, we basically have 5 linebackers… Morrow, Littleton, Kwit, Muse, Deablo

Deablo has barely practiced as a rookie. Morrow is also hurt and Gruden said he was concerned (doesn’t seem like he’ll be available at the start of the season). I think KJ might become a necessity sooner than later. Kwit likely takes Morrows MLB role. 

Wright would be the big SAM on those run downs we’ve been looking for, and also played most of his career at WILL, at the very least providing depth on the outside, since we can’t really trust Deablo

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jerry said:

I cared about the money because it would free up cap space to use on the defense.  I wanted to restructure guys if possible and cut them if they would not because they were overpaid.  Could easily cut Jackson and Brown and sign their replacements for half of what they were going to get.  Did not have to use a 1st round pick on a RT the same way we did not have to give a RT $16.5 million a year.  Hudson was a horrible decision too.  Getting rid of him when you have already paid him a lot of money for the year.  Koonce better turn out to be a good player for me to ever feel good about it.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I wanted to restructure guys if possible and cut them if they would not because they were overpaid.  Could easily cut Jackson and Brown and sign their replacements for half of what they were going to get.  

Exactly. I don't think people were upset that we had the highest paid OL, they were upset that Trent Brown was the highest paid RT in the league and hardly played. And also upset that Gabe Jackson was one of the highest paid guards in the league when Denzel Good played just as well, if not better, then he did. 

i was ok with trading Gabe (given that Good has shown to be starting caliber, it was known Richie would be brought back, and we still think/thought highly of Simpson).

i understood trading Trent given his unreliability and his massive cap hit, but was really concerned that we shoehorned ourself into taking a RT early in the draft instead of having a more balanced BPA approach (though the very early returns from Leatherwood do appear promising, and he's fairing better health wise than the two guys I wanted, Darrisaw and Jenkins)

i was most alarmed by the Hudson move. im still not sold on James. the one good that came out of that was that we ate the entire cap hit this year, so there is no dead money in 2022 from that move.

actually as it stands now we have virtually no 2022 dead money, and given that Carr is locked in for just under 20 mil, we project to have over 50 mil in cap space next offseason. that includes Kolton's big raise, so we have a lot to work with. i still think we should do something to extend Carr, honestly. getting deals done sooner rather than later tends to lead to better value before cap/contract inflation sets in

Edited by Turnobili