The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And we had $12M less this year because he asked to be let go, in a year that is very likely a make or break year for Carr, Mayock, and possibly Gruden...

It was going to happen sooner or later. Either this year with a third round pick or next year with him just getting cut or us being stuck paying him annually 11-12 mil until we can cut him when after he’s 34. 

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It was going to happen sooner or later. Either this year with a third round pick or next year with him just getting cut or us being stuck paying him annually 11-12 mil until we can cut him when after he’s 34. 

He's arguably the best center in the NFL why was it going to happen either way? 

19 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

there's isn't anyone else we can cut to make room besides Richard. 

Raiders at 2.3m

Cut Richard 3.5 m

Lawson 1.1 m

Johnson 1.1m

Dickerson 1m

total: that's 6.7m in cuts not including the 2.3m wiggle room. Get KJ to sign for 6.5m-7m

doesnt exactly work that way. your cap only counts the top 51 on your roster. so lets say dickerson is your 51st highest paid player and you cut him, his salary is replaced by the 52nd guy (who might only be getting paid 100k less than him). so your actual cap saving is only the difference between dickerson and the next guy, and you dont just remove the full 1m

we could also always do a minor restructure of carr's deal (ie take 6m of his salary, convert it to a signing bonus, so it would add 3 mil cap hit to next year, and remove 3 mil from this year). though right now they're clearly trying to retain as much flexibility as they can for next year (hence eating all of Hudson's cap hit this year)

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

though right now they're clearly trying to retain as much flexibility as they can for next year (hence eating all of Hudson's cap hit this year)

Yeah this year really is a make or break year for us which is likely why they waited on extending Carr as well. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah this year really is a make or break year for us which is likely why they waited on extending Carr as well. 

yeah. personally i would have extended carr this offseason. would probably get him cheaper than at the same time next year (or the year after if they let him play out next season without extending)

5 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

yeah. personally i would have extended carr this offseason. would probably get him cheaper than at the same time next year (or the year after if they let him play out next season without extending)

For what? We have him under contract for 2 more years. If we would've given him a 4-5 year extension and had a disappointing season then we'd have no flexibility going forward. Carr will be 31 next off-season and 32 when the extension kicks in. If he plays well enough to earn a bigger pay day then pay him more then. But if we miss the playoffs again this year I think we're going to see a ton of changes and we'll likely look to go in a different direction at QB. Probably trade up for one in the draft and let him sit behind Carr for a year before taking over as the starter. 

52 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

For what? We have him under contract for 2 more years. If we would've given him a 4-5 year extension and had a disappointing season then we'd have no flexibility going forward. Carr will be 31 next off-season and 32 when the extension kicks in. If he plays well enough to earn a bigger pay day then pay him more then. But if we miss the playoffs again this year I think we're going to see a ton of changes and we'll likely look to go in a different direction at QB. Probably trade up for one in the draft and let him sit behind Carr for a year before taking over as the starter. 

i just like getting ahead of market, before cap inflation, etc. part of why carr looks like a bargain now is because he was extended a while ago

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Watch for yourself how Rodney Hudson is as a run blocker in the 2020 as opposed to his run blocking.  I’m not even talking about just the plays that highlight him. I’m talking about every run play shown of him in a 2020 game. 

That only shows four or five plays where Hudson is ineffective. Doesn't really convince me from what I actually watched during the season. Now, do I think Hudson is the best run blocker..... No, do I think he's probably regressed a little...... Yes. But those clips are literally just a handful of cherry picked plays on the whole season. The very first clip on the video was a superb pull block by Hudson clearing acres of space for example. What about the Browns game? Hudson was magnificent. I'm not totally closed to the idea that James can't be an upgrade in run blocking but I'm going to need to see a lot more to be convinced. I just hope this is the rare occurrence where our FO actually plans and executes something well. I'll watch it play itself out but I'm also not going to be just following on blind faith as the FO hasn't gotten the benefit of the doubt with their track record just yet.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

$7M is quite a lot for him but he is very good. If Kwit's healthy though probably not worth it. 

$7m is good money I’d say. The doubt about Wright has never been his play it has always been whether we can afford him. Obviously injuries mean we are looking at LBs but salary cap as always is gonna dictate who we can get.