The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Season is really gonna come down to the interior OL and DL this year. If Ferrell, Philon, McCoy and Jefferson play well the defense could actually be good. Definitely is a big if.

If James/Simpson/Incognito/Good play well, ditto for the offense.

If both groups play well we make the playoffs. If one does we go 8-9. If neither do, well it’s gonna be a long season.

I wouldn't even just say the interior OL/DL, I'd say the entire OL/DL as a whole and our secondary are the biggest swing factors for us this season. 

In a perfect world, Richie stays healthy all year, but if he can't then we're likely going to be starting Simpson, James, and Leatherwood who are all essentially rookies. Tom Cable is really going to have to earn his check this season. 

On the defensive line we're going to need our entire front 4 to be able to generate pressure consistently, Bradley blitzes less than any coordinator in the league. Ideally Yannick/Maxx play well off the edge but that's not a guarantee and we definitely need our interior DL to step up. 

Bradley's defense is also extremely dependent on the secondary being able to hold up in cover 3. We're trusting a rookie FS to be playing single high, Hayward is a 50/50 hit or miss, and all of our other CBs outside of Mullen are young and unproven. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't even just say the interior OL/DL, I'd say the entire OL/DL as a whole and our secondary are the biggest swing factors for us this season. 

In a perfect world, Richie stays healthy all year, but if he can't then we're likely going to be starting Simpson, James, and Leatherwood who are all essentially rookies. Tom Cable is really going to have to earn his check this season. 

On the defensive line we're going to need our entire front 4 to be able to generate pressure consistently, Bradley blitzes less than any coordinator in the league. Ideally Yannick/Maxx play well off the edge but that's not a guarantee and we definitely need our interior DL to step up. 

Bradley's defense is also extremely dependent on the secondary being able to hold up in cover 3. We're trusting a rookie FS to be playing single high, Hayward is a 50/50 hit or miss, and all of our other CBs outside of Mullen are young and unproven. 

True, true. I flit back and forth on a daily basis between pessimism and optimism to be honest with regard our D especially.

Some days I think, well, Maxx and Yannick on the outsides looks pretty good plus Hankins I really like as a solid starting run defender so we only need some production off one of Jefferson, McCoy or Thomas and we'll be fine on the DL. Littleton and Kwit should be solid and we're in 2LB sets most of the time. Then Mullen I really like, Hayward is a class act (or was) and Moehrig looks very promising which only leaves one of Joseph or Abram to be solid which they should be able to be and looks like Hobbs has fully earned the nickel spot. That doesn't look too bad......... And we have a genuine NFL calibre coordinator too.........

Then I'll second guess myself and think Yannick and Maxx are both iffy run defenders and neither have really shown elite pass rush skills like we're expecting them both to produce. The interior again is just a jumble of bodies and our LBs are falling like dominoes. We have no proven talent at safety aside from the solid Joseph and our CBs are reliant on a clearly fading Hayward and young guys who so far have only shown flashes........there is an awful lot that can possibly go wrong even without injuries.......

And that's without thinking about the OLine 😁😁

• Like 1

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Dallin Leavitt and Lawson better not make this team. You gotta be able to do better then that especially with Leavitt. If you cant replace him with someone better after these cuts then thats a big issue. 

There is absolutely NO reason leavitt should make the team and somehow teamer gets cut. 

12 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Dallin Leavitt and Lawson better not make this team. You gotta be able to do better then that especially with Leavitt. If you cant replace him with someone better after these cuts then thats a big issue. 

As the lone Lawson supporter here 😁😁 I wholeheartedly agree that Leavitt shouldn't be anywhere near the roster but Lawson in my opinion is a very valuable squad member. Good cover guy who can play inside and out, great tackler and team player but he's got hands like feet and not good playing the ball for certain.

He'll never be a great player but I think he's the type of player that every team needs as like a CB 4 or depth piece. Hopefully Hobbs can beat him out and win the starting nickel job as that means Hobbs looks really good but there should be a place for Lawson IMO on the 53 (after his suspension).

11 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I stopped watching after half time, but i don't remember seeing him in the first half so maybe he played the 2h, but appreciate you letting me know that. 

I just hope he gets cut. When he’s out there it’s like we only have 10 players on the field

21 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

As the lone Lawson supporter here 😁😁 I wholeheartedly agree that Leavitt shouldn't be anywhere near the roster but Lawson in my opinion is a very valuable squad member. Good cover guy who can play inside and out, great tackler and team player but he's got hands like feet and not good playing the ball for certain.

He'll never be a great player but I think he's the type of player that every team needs as like a CB 4 or depth piece. Hopefully Hobbs can beat him out and win the starting nickel job as that means Hobbs looks really good but there should be a place for Lawson IMO on the 53 (after his suspension).

I actually do get that(crazy as it sounds).

But at the same time it just shows how lacking we are at slot depth to where we need to rely on him as a backup let alone being prepared go into the season with him as our starter before Nate Hobbes won the job. 

Edited by Jeremy408

18 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I actually do get that(crazy as it sounds).

But at the same time it just shows how lacking we are at slot depth to where we need to rely on him as a backup let alone being prepared go into the season with him as our starter before Nate Hobbes won the job. 

I actually think he's quite good 😀 If Hobbs can beat him out that is a great sign that the youngster is showing real promise IMO. If Lawson is your starting nickel it's not the worst thing I don't think, he's not a Pro Bowler but there are plenty worse than him that are starting I feel. If we can upgrade then great for us.

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I actually think he's quite good 😀 If Hobbs can beat him out that is a great sign that the youngster is showing real promise IMO. If Lawson is your starting nickel it's not the worst thing I don't think, he's not a Pro Bowler but there are plenty worse than him that are starting I feel. If we can upgrade then great for us.

Here's my thing though: coming into the season slot corner was a huge question mark and he's been on the roster for about three years now