The Mega Offseason Workout/OTA/Training Camp Thread

RaidersAreOne

16 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't know if I necessarily agree with some of the "we lack leadership" sentiment that goes on here at times. To me, Gruden has failed the players several times, and I don't think we win as many games the last 2 years without some solid possibly unsung heroes on the roster. 

I'd say that Nelly/Morrow's comments about the team lacking accountability, Antonio Brown's outburst, and Trent Brown publicly celebrating when we traded him all point to a lack of leadership in the locker room. The fact that we did a victory lap in the team bus after beating the Chiefs and Maxx Crosby said all of our players started to mess around at practice after that game also points to a lack of leadership. I think that Gruden is a good coach overall but he just has way too much control. He shouldn't be the offensive coordinator or have the final say in all of our personnel decisions. The amount of roster turnover we've had year after year with him in charge points to a lack of a plan with how to build our team. 

I think you can also make a strong case that our late season collapses after starting 6-4 and missing the playoffs points to a lack of leadership in the locker room. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd say that Nelly/Morrow's comments about the team lacking accountability, Antonio Brown's outburst, and Trent Brown publicly celebrating when we traded him all point to a lack of leadership in the locker room. The fact that we did a victory lap in the team bus after beating the Chiefs and Maxx Crosby said all of our players started to mess around at practice after that game also points to a lack of leadership. I think that Gruden is a good coach overall but he just has way too much control. He shouldn't be the offensive coordinator or have the final say in all of our personnel decisions. The amount of roster turnover we've had year after year with him in charge points to a lack of a plan with how to build our team. 

I think you can also make a strong case that our late season collapses after starting 6-4 and missing the playoffs points to a lack of leadership in the locker room. 

I think the late season collapse comes from lack of defense and Lack of depth of injuries.

I think all the other stuff you said about lack of leader ship from a player perspective is accurate though. It's either the people that are good enough to be leaders don't speak up(max Crosby up until this point) or do you have fake leadership(Jonathan Abram) that wants to be called a leader but doesn't play good enough or do smart enough stuff

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think the late season collapse comes from lack of defense and Lack of depth of injuries.

I think all the other stuff you said about lack of leader ship from a player perspective is accurate though. It's either the people that are good enough to be leaders don't speak up(max Crosby up until this point) or do you have fake leadership(Jonathan Abram) that wants to be called a leader but doesn't play good enough or do smart enough stuff

Us getting destroyed by Atlanta and failing to win the Dolphins/Chargers games definitely had a lot to do with a lack of focus from the team. All 3 of those games showed what kind of leader Gruden is, he didn't have us prepared for Atlanta after a disappointing loss against the Chiefs a week earlier, and his conservative decision making cost us the Dolphins/Chargers games. 

Against the Falcons we got blasted 43-6 by a 4 win team that only scored 33 points in their next two games combined. We looked like we lacked a sense of urgency coming off of the Chiefs game but either way there was no reason we should've gotten beaten like that by a bad team. 

Against the Chargers we were tied 24-24 with under 2 minutes to go on their 21 yard line when Mariota threw an interception. All we had to do was milk the clock and we likely win the game. In overtime we could've sealed the win with a TD and had the ball on their 4 yard line in a 1st  and goal situation and settled for 3 points, then lost. 

Against the Dolphins Jacobs had a chance to score a TD that would've put us up 29-23 with under 2 minutes left and fell on the 1 yard line. We then just milked the clock, settled for 3, and they were able to beat us with a FG, 26-25. 

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming Ingold is our special teams captain. 

OK that works then. It’s just good to have a roster that’s built correctly in the sense that you have older people that have had success in the league and then you have a young talented people that don’t have to play To learn from them

• Like 1