Raiders release DT Maurice Hurst and DE Arden Key

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Gruden tearing it down.

I agree letting Hurst go is a mistake but I'd hardly call these moves "tearing it down". Arden Key is one of the worst players in the league and Hurst is not a starter. Very solid interior pass rusher from a role player perspective, but also a horrendous run defender. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I never saw gruden and mayock succeeding but they've done worse than I thought.

I think Gruden has been pretty bad hire, though I’m reluctant to place too much blame on Mayock because he seems to be more of a puppet than anything else. Brought in as a draft guru more than anything, and it feels like he’s even getting overruled in who the Raiders draft. It’s really not a great look for him.

Out of interest, what did you expect from them? Since Mayock arrived the team has gone 7-9 and 8-8. If you didn’t expect them to succeed, but expected them to be better than this, I’d be interested what your expectations of their “lack of success” were?

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Out of interest, what did you expect from them? Since Mayock arrived the team has gone 7-9 and 8-8. If you didn’t expect them to succeed, but expected them to be better than this, I’d be interested what your expectations of their “lack of success” were?

I mean most of the pieces for the winning were already there in carr and that o line. I thought they'd hit more diamond's late I guess. Seems like it's just Renfrow. I always liked Mayock I guess sounded like he knew the game . The Wallet signing was great I guess. I guess it's not the records that underwhelm just draft production.

I mean let's be real Patriots the last 5 years weren't nailing the drafts but still went 12-4 does that make sense?

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I mean most of the pieces for the winning were already there in carr and that o line. I thought they'd hit more diamond's late I guess. Seems like it's just Renfrow. I always liked Mayock I guess sounded like he knew the game . The Wallet signing was great I guess. I guess it's not the records that underwhelm just draft production.

I mean let's be real Patriots the last 5 years weren't nailing the drafts but still went 12-4 does that make sense?

I mean it's true we had virtually 0 contribution from our draft class last year outside of Ruggs, which is sad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I never saw gruden and mayock succeeding but they've done worse than I thought.

We’ll see. I’ve been disappointed so far but this is a make or break year plus we are facing the NFC East. Somewhat confident we can turn things around and make the playoffs, instead of battling Denver for 3rd place in the AFCW. 

We have a tremendous offense. Carr isn’t great by any means but he’s a pretty solid QB that now knows Jons offense like the back of his head, Jacobs is solid, Waller is a Top 5 TE, receiving core is alright, and our OL depends what we do in the draft. We have been a Top 5 team in points per drive both 2019 and 2020 if I remember correctly. 

It’s the defense that has been subpar over the years. Usually Bottom 3 in the league. This team reminds me of the 2007-2008, 2014-2016 Saints that had great offenses and horrendous defenses. 

For the first time in 20 years this team has a real defensive coordinator. Yes, I know Bradley isn’t all that, but he’s a proven DC unlike the jokes we hire such as Ken Norton Jr and Paul Guenther. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Key signed with the 49ers

This would have been much more exciting after his sophomore year at LSU, I was still high on him when he came out after his down junior year. I don’t see any downside in giving him a shot, but I don’t expect much at this point. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886q4cjfk2zovhukd9c2u

On 4/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, BayRaider said:

I agree letting Hurst go is a mistake but I'd hardly call these moves "tearing it down". Arden Key is one of the worst players in the league and Hurst is not a starter. Very solid interior pass rusher from a role player perspective, but also a horrendous run defender. 

Yeah, these guys were available for 2 mio on the waiver wire and nobody claimed them. I would have kept Hurst, but that they aren't picked up for that value says enough how the league views them. 

They will both be signed before TC and i see Hurst making a team and i still believe he can develop in a longterm nfl player. Key might make a team but will imo only tease you with 'he might develop into something' but never will.

• Like 1