Chris Ballard, NFL's best drafting GM since 2015

While I agree Hooker was Ballard’s worst pick, I wanted to add some context to that.

The only reason Hooker was available to us was because of previous injuries. And I kind of feel like that 2017 draft was an outlier because Ballard was drafting for a 3-4 defense with man coverage on the back end.

Once he fired Pagano he immediately wanted to switch to a 4-3 (he mentioned this a lot after the switch was announced) and Eberflus was always going to incorporate the Cover 2 (and later incorporate Cover 3) with zone coverage. Hooker and Wilson were immediately bad fits for the new defense (Wilson was just bad) 

Defensive picks in 2017: S Malik Hooker, CB Quincy Wilson, DE Tarell Basham, DT Grover Stewart, CB Nate Hairston and LB Anthony Walker.

Hooker and Hairston played well in 2017 but Hooker didn’t stay healthy and Hairston got replaced/outplayed by Kenny Moore in 2018

Stewart took two years to adjust to the 4-3 and also had to lose 20 lbs.

Walker missed a bunch of games in 2017 because of a hamstring injury and then became Leonard’s right hand man in 2018. Okereke is an all around better defender then Walker which is why he outsnapped him in 2020.

Tarell Basham did nothing in 2017 and made the final 53 man roster in 2018 but was cut after some waiver claims.

As always, too much credit or blame is laid at the feet of the selection, and not enough credit or blame is laid at the feet of "development". Ballard picks well, but I think they are developing well too. 

2017 is so frustrating, not because of the draft misses, but because of the decision to only fire Grigson and not Pagano. Even if you thought Pagano had been left with roster holes, by any objective measure he was just a bad head coach with GameDay calls that made no sense. That had to be a clean sweep, but Jim Irsay didn't pull the trigger 

I think a lot of people misunderstood my post.  I agree that Ballard is one of the best drafting GMs in the league.  The article mentioned his worst draft pick as being Quincy Wilson and I think his worst draft pick was Hooker only because Hooker was a top 15 pick.

I don't expect a GM to hit on 100% of their picks.  I think if a GM hits on greater than 50% of their picks they are doing very well.  And Ballard does two things I like in a GM.  When he hits, he seems to really hit well.  When he misses, he doesn't hold on trying to prove his pick was correct... he moves on quickly.

8 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

When he misses, he doesn't hold on trying to prove his pick was correct... he moves on quickly.

Exactly. Not sure why the Wilson thing took so long. I was one clamoring for him to keep giving him a chance.....😝