How many times will the Jets trade up or trade down?

Big T

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

But my opinion at CB is similar to yours at WR. IS I'd bet that we still bring in a starting CB before the season starts (Sherman, Nelson, resign Poole just to name a few). So if we draft a CB... they might not be starting either. But it is a position you play 4-5 at. Same as WR.

As I stated... I won't be upset at all if we go CB at 23 )I think Newsome and Farley are worthy of that spot). But if we go D again at 34... I'll be beyond pissed. And for me that's too big of a risk. The D will be better on its own just by the O keeping them off the field. Invest there. Then worry about the defense. 

We differ on CB because I think only Hall is a good enough starter. Davis is meh. We have two years of tape on him and he is not that impressive. Until we resign Poole, all we have at slot is Guidry. Yikes!  So we really need two starting CB’s. I could live with Guidry in the slot if we get a starting outside CB and our LB corp can drop into zone more.

5 hours ago, xrade said:

We differ on CB because I think only Hall is a good enough starter. Davis is meh. We have two years of tape on him and he is not that impressive. Until we resign Poole, all we have at slot is Guidry. Yikes!  So we really need two starting CB’s. I could live with Guidry in the slot if we get a starting outside CB and our LB corp can drop into zone more.

Our DL/pass rush is much improved and Safety/LB play was worse than CB imo.  

36 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Our DL/pass rush is much improved and Safety/LB play was worse than CB imo.  

With Davis in his first year of playing S, you would expect some hiccups. Plus we added a S in FA and tagged Maye who is pretty good. I can agree on LB, but with Mosley coming back, signing another Davis it is a need which is why I believe OLB will be high on JD’s wish list.  But unless you watched a different Jets team last year, our CB’s sucked. Bottom ranking in all pass D categories mostly attributed to crappy CB play. We can all blame Williams for that bad D call against the Raiders, but the CB got roasted real bad. Yeah, sign me up for that again this year.  The pass rush will help, but the CB’s must still be able to cover. We have one - Hall and even he is still an unknown. 

Just now, xrade said:

With Davis in his first year of playing S, you would expect some hiccups. Plus we added a S in FA and tagged Maye who is pretty good. I can agree on LB, but with Mosley coming back, signing another Davis it is a need which is why I believe OLB will be high on JD’s wish list.  But unless you watched a different Jets team last year, our CB’s sucked. Bottom ranking in all pass D categories mostly attributed to crappy CB play. We can all blame Williams for that bad D call against the Raiders, but the CB got roasted real bad. Yeah, sign me up for that again this year.  The pass rush will help, but the CB’s must still be able to cover. We have one - Hall and even he is still an unknown. 

Not saying we had strong CB play.  Been saying all year long we had no edge rush and we got chewed up down the middle of the field.  Don't know if that was scheme, personnel or pass rush related.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not saying we had strong CB play.  Been saying all year long we had no edge rush and we got chewed up down the middle of the field.  Don't know if that was scheme, personnel or pass rush related.

Probably all three reasons. Even if we did not upgrade at CB, I would expect slightly better results but not enough to move the needle. We got beat real bad on the outside as well.  Keep in mind, as of right now, we will have a 2nd year UDFA as our starting slot CB.  Everyone thinks we will resign Poole, but there are 31 other teams that can sign him as well.  What would Sherman bring to the table?  Certainly not anything that will help us for our run in 2022.

CB is a difficult position to transition from CFB to the NFL. Getting one now to rough it through this season will yield much better results come next year when we should be making a run at the playoffs. 

I see the Jets trading back from the 2nd pick on day 2. I think they try to recoup some draft capitol. They can still pick up a quality player later in the day. But if for some reason they stay put then complete the line by drafting Humphrey.

The CB play will be better just by the pass rush being better. Let’s not forget we arguably have the best IDL now with Q and Rankins (and we have depth) and a highly talented edge guy in Lawson. With 3 guys to rotate in on the other side in Curry, Huff and Zuniga. Our front 7 is too 5 in the NFL IMO. That in itself will make the secondary better. We added Joyner in FA so we have Maye, Joyner and Davis as S. That’s not a poor group at all.

And as I mentioned... go look at the remaining FA CBs? There’s several very good guys out there still that fit us. 2 obvious ones are Poole who has been here for a couple years. And Sherman who knows the defense great. And there’s like 5 other talented guys as well. CB can be addressed for us after the draft. I do think we should still draft a guy in like the 4th or 5th... but not at 34 today. If Sameuls last name was different he wouldn’t be in the talks at 34. He’s a mid round talent.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The CB play will be better just by the pass rush being better. Let’s not forget we arguably have the best IDL now with Q and Rankins (and we have depth) and a highly talented edge guy in Lawson. With 3 guys to rotate in on the other side in Curry, Huff and Zuniga. Our front 7 is too 5 in the NFL IMO. That in itself will make the secondary better. We added Joyner in FA so we have Maye, Joyner and Davis as S. That’s not a poor group at all.

And as I mentioned... go look at the remaining FA CBs? There’s several very good guys out there still that fit us. 2 obvious ones are Poole who has been here for a couple years. And Sherman who knows the defense great. And there’s like 5 other talented guys as well. CB can be addressed for us after the draft. I do think we should still draft a guy in like the 4th or 5th... but not at 34 today. If Sameuls last name was different he wouldn’t be in the talks at 34. He’s a mid round talent.

I don’t doubt our pass D will be improved with our new front 7, but we still need reliable coverage from our CB’s to get this D to top level. Outside if Hall, I do not trust what we currently have. Maybe I will be proven wrong and they will play well but it is uncomfortable for me ATM.

You keep talking about getting a FA CB like Poole. When that actually happens I will believe it. I would not base my comfort level on a possibility that should have happened already but has not. How many of us thought we would get a good iOL in FA this year?  We did not and instead drafted one. What’s to say the is not JD’s game plan for our third largest need (QB and iOL being the first two)?

As for another OL at 34, didn’t GVR improve a bit by the second half as did McGovern?  4 new OL and a messed up offseason will do that. I think JD is happy with a TC battle at RG and one of Clarke or GVR will start.