Browns Release Sheldon Richardson

sdrawkcab321

The FO has earned the benefit of the doubt from me. So I'll wait and see what we do with the cap space. If we get Mo Hurst and a boundary corner, excellent, great job. If we get Geno Atkins and someone else? Awesome, love it. If we don't get another DT until the draft and we sign a meh player with Richardson's cap? Then I'll be bummed. But this FO doesn't operate without a reason. I gotta think a signing is incoming.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Definitely seems like a cap flexibility move for down the road. Part of me is glad that they are being smart for the future but I also like Sheldon. Not at 12 mil, but also better than the gaping hole he leaves behind.

Go get Mo Hurst and make me feel better.

That was my thought, go sign Hurst to a 1 year 4m deal and do the whole Moneyball thing. Moneyball it up boyyyyyz. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

36 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Kinda wonder if they want a NT instead of Sheldon.

They have to beat the Ravens to win the division. They need to be able to be stout up the middle. I wouldn't mind at all if they got another beef cake in there just to take up space and hold the LOS.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Sorry friend, Ward yes.  Baker?  Yes.  Chubb will not get a second contract with the browns though.  #MoneyBall

We'll see. If we start phasing him out I'll believe it but until then I think we at least try to resign him. I'd certainly rather have him and Higgins than OBJ and they are probably cheaper together than OBJ.

42 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We'll see. If we start phasing him out I'll believe it but until then I think we at least try to resign him. I'd certainly rather have him and Higgins than OBJ and they are probably cheaper together than OBJ.

We won’t phase him out.  We will use him as much as always while he is here.  But he will earn a market setting contract.  A moneyball team does not view RB as a valued position.  It is viewed as easily filled.  There are low round drafted and even undrafted RBs that thrive every single year.

Pay Chubb $18 million a year for 1500 yards or pay another player $3.5 million a year for 1350 yards?  That extra 15 or so million is better spent on maintaining an elite oline.  Paying your franchise QB, and keeping a stout DLine and secondary.  That is where moneyball teams like to concentrate the dollars.

Hunt is great in his own right.  I expect him to stay and transition to starter.  I would not at all be surprised if we draft a day 3 RB this year to groom to replace Hunt as Hunt will replace Chubb.

16 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Chubb isn’t leaving 

Moneyball says otherwise.  He will be here in 2021, we MIGHT franchise him for 2022, but I doubt it.  The moneyball thing to do is to either let him walk when the contract is up and get the comp pick, or trade him now in a Hershel Walker type of trade.

I think we are chasing the trophy in 2021, so the comp pick will be the path.

50 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

We won’t phase him out.  We will use him as much as always while he is here.  But he will earn a market setting contract.  A moneyball team does not view RB as a valued position.  It is viewed as easily filled.  There are low round drafted and even undrafted RBs that thrive every single year.

Pay Chubb $18 million a year for 1500 yards or pay another player $3.5 million a year for 1350 yards?  That extra 15 or so million is better spent on maintaining an elite oline.  Paying your franchise QB, and keeping a stout DLine and secondary.  That is where moneyball teams like to concentrate the dollars.

Hunt is great in his own right.  I expect him to stay and transition to starter.  I would not at all be surprised if we draft a day 3 RB this year to groom to replace Hunt as Hunt will replace Chubb.

Chubb won't get 18 million. I think we could sign him right now for 4 years for 48 million. The bigger money goes to the dual threat RBs like McCaffrey and Kamara.

If you throw 3 undrafted free agent wide receivers you are still getting receiving stats but it doesn't equal what you get from 3 good receivers. Same with RB. If you have a top 3 RB you try to keep him. Weeden could throw for 4000 yards but that doesn't mean you want him starting. I understand RB is devalued but great ones are still great and difference makers and Chubb is a difference maker.

• Like 1