Browns Release Sheldon Richardson

sdrawkcab321

41 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Chubb won't get 18 million. I think we could sign him right now for 4 years for 48 million. The bigger money goes to the dual threat RBs like McCaffrey and Kamara.

If you throw 3 undrafted free agent wide receivers you are still getting receiving stats but it doesn't equal what you get from 3 good receivers. Same with RB. If you have a top 3 RB you try to keep him. Weeden could throw for 4000 yards but that doesn't mean you want him starting. I understand RB is devalued but great ones are still great and difference makers and Chubb is a difference maker.

You are not getting it.  There are top 5 RBs every single year that are either low round draft picks or undrafted.  That is why RB is a devalued position from a moneyball perspective.  A moneyball team will never set the market for a RB (or a linebacker) because analytics says that you can get near the same production for a fraction of the cost, and use that cap for premium positions that are harder to fill.

let’s say chubb only gets 15 mil per year, is that extra 7 or 8 yards a game worth 12 million more a year that could go toward your franchise QB, your lockdown secondary, an elite oline, or elite dline?

Edited by DizzyDean

47 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

You are not getting it.  There are top 5 RBs every single year that are either low round draft picks or undrafted.  That is why RB is a devalued position from a moneyball perspective.  A moneyball team will never set the market for a RB (or a linebacker) because analytics says that you can get near the same production for a fraction of the cost, and use that cap for premium positions that are harder to fill.

let’s say chubb only gets 15 mil per year, is that extra 7 or 8 yards a game worth 12 million more a year that could go toward your franchise QB, your lockdown secondary, an elite oline, or elite dline?

Lets say that someone got 8 yards less per game, that would make them the 4th highest rusher per game in the NFL last year. Even if you exchange him for Hunt that's a yard and a half per carry which lets say 20 carries so 30 yards. No big deal. Sure, you may convert 4 less first downs and score 10 fewer points but moneyball.

You may be right, maybe we don't try to sign him but common sense says he offers elite production at the position that you aren't getting from just anyone. Hunt gets you 4.2 per carry. Maybe you get a guy who gets 3.9 per carry to take the reigns. Guess what, you're pretty much a one dimensional team who can't fool teams with playaction anymore. You just lost your identity. Maybe you'll be okay with the receivers who are near the bottom of the NFL in yards after the catch. Maybe it will work out. I wouldn't want to see it and I don't think the brass would either.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:21 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Lets say that someone got 8 yards less per game, that would make them the 4th highest rusher per game in the NFL last year. Even if you exchange him for Hunt that's a yard and a half per carry which lets say 20 carries so 30 yards. No big deal. Sure, you may convert 4 less first downs and score 10 fewer points but moneyball.

You may be right, maybe we don't try to sign him but common sense says he offers elite production at the position that you aren't getting from just anyone. Hunt gets you 4.2 per carry. Maybe you get a guy who gets 3.9 per carry to take the reigns. Guess what, you're pretty much a one dimensional team who can't fool teams with playaction anymore. You just lost your identity. Maybe you'll be okay with the receivers who are near the bottom of the NFL in yards after the catch. Maybe it will work out. I wouldn't want to see it and I don't think the brass would either.

Simply not true for most of this.  Giving him a market setting contract could mean letting Teller walk.  Which would drop Chubb’s production down.  RB is not a difficult position to fill.  The big cap consuming contracts are reserved for positions that are harder to fill.  

Edited by DizzyDean

If there was ever a time when cap space has value, it's this offseason.

Many serviceable vets (and even a few above average starters) are still sitting out there.  If we are creating cap room to make our roster even better, then I love this move.  If made it just for future flexibility, it's disappointing.

We have such a giant opportunity to catch our competition.  We've done a great job so far, and I want us to finish the job.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

If there was ever a time when cap space has value, it's this offseason.

Many serviceable vets (and even a few above average starters) are still sitting out there.  If we are creating cap room to make our roster even better, then I love this move.  If made it just for future flexibility, it's disappointing.

We have such a giant opportunity to catch our competition.  We've done a great job so far, and I want us to finish the job.

Eh, the business side has to look at the future. I don't know if we are looking at any more free agent signings, maybe a CB that is good on the outside for Greedy insurance or depth/spot starter types. Otherwise we are probably just looking forward to the draft. We've made a few splashes and spent a lot of money on top of a roster that was already top 10 in money spent now we are 2nd most behind the Cowboys. A lot of our cap is carryover which is important and I'd like to at least carry over a little for the future.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, the business side has to look at the future. I don't know if we are looking at any more free agent signings, maybe a CB that is good on the outside for Greedy insurance or depth/spot starter types. Otherwise we are probably just looking forward to the draft. We've made a few splashes and spent a lot of money on top of a roster that was already top 10 in money spent now we are 2nd most behind the Cowboys. A lot of our cap is carryover which is important and I'd like to at least carry over a little for the future.

I know these guys are setting us up for the future.  I love the team we have in place.  I just view this off-season as a unique opportunity to take a big jump.

Salary cap space may never yield you more than it will RIGHT NOW.  So many teams are cash strapped, and we are not.  The perfect time to make some hey.

• Like 1