Sell me on a QB

Madmike90

I am having a real hard time understanding why we should draft a QB early in this draft...by early I mean in the first two rounds...can anyone sell me on why we should?...

From my point of view we are out of reach of the top 5 QBs in this draft...that being Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance & Mac...the next group is Trask, Mills, Mond & Newman...none of those guys are worth the 20th overall pick...you could argue none is worth the 52nd overall pick but let's say we take one in the 2nd round...do we believe any of those guys are coming in and outplaying Andy Dalton? Personally I don't see it...so how do those guys help us win? Do these guys have enough potential that if we have a losing season we keep Pace & Nagy in place to continue to work with them? Do we get rid of Pace & Nagy and handcuff a new GM and HC to 2nd year QB who would then be asked to forget the system he just sat and learned and to then take on a different one? I just don't see the value to Pace & Nagy in win now season to use a 2nd round pick on a guy who probably won't play much...I also don't see the value to the franchise who could be about to clear house to place an elephant in the corner for any new hired GM or HC...

So again I will ask an someone sell me on a QB early and if so which one and why?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I am having a real hard time understanding why we should draft a QB early in this draft...by early I mean in the first two rounds...can anyone sell me on why we should?...

From my point of view we are out of reach of the top 5 QBs in this draft...that being Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance & Mac...the next group is Trask, Mills, Mond & Newman...none of those guys are worth the 20th overall pick...you could argue none is worth the 52nd overall pick but let's say we take one in the 2nd round...do we believe any of those guys are coming in and outplaying Andy Dalton? Personally I don't see it...so how do those guys help us win? Do these guys have enough potential that if we have a losing season we keep Pace & Nagy in place to continue to work with them? Do we get rid of Pace & Nagy and handcuff a new GM and HC to 2nd year QB who would then be asked to forget the system he just sat and learned and to then take on a different one? I just don't see the value to Pace & Nagy in win now season to use a 2nd round pick on a guy who probably won't play much...I also don't see the value to the franchise who could be about to clear house to place an elephant in the corner for any new hired GM or HC...

So again I will ask an someone sell me on a QB early and if so which one and why?

I think the top 4 are worth the shot if we can get up there (or one of them falls a bit further than what i expect to be picks #1-4) and I'd understand Lance or Mills with rnd 1 or 2 just via this team needing to take shots.... That said, I'm one of the few bears fans who wouldn't be at all upset if we didn't go QB at all this draft, because in all likelihood 5 qbs are gone by pick 10, and I don't like the 2nd rounders much.

• Like 2

1. We aren’t out of reach of anyone not named Wilson and Lawrence.

2. We are going no where without a QB. We are literally just wasting games and seasons.

3. You cannot find a QB unless you actually draft one, a bunch of teams are wishing they had “reached” on Dak Prescott.

4. In the NFL you have 2 options, you are either competing or developing with your QB... Andy Dalton is neither.

5. Would I prefer Pace wasn’t the one making the pick? Of course, he is a clown. But there are only 2 options at this point.

-Pace hits on a QB or this entire thing gets ripped to the studs and we start over with a new GM. There will be no “retool” the defense will be old and over paid, Robinson will leave, and we still won’t have a QB.

• Like 1

You draft Kellen Mond in the 2nd because you need to be developing someone and Dalton isn’t very good.

If the Bears suck, everyone gets fired and Mond starts for a year or 2 while the new GM tears the roster down. Kind of like Jalen Hurts in Philly.

If Mond is good everyone gets another year or more.

• Like 2

I guess to simplify my point,

Playing games with Andy Dalton and Nick Foles as your QBs is totally pointless. You are going to win nothing, compete for nothing, and you won’t be developing anything for the future.

With Andy Dalton you are 100% irrelevant. He cannot play at a level good enough to win in the playoffs. His entire career has shown us this.

Edited by WindyCity

Pace and Nagy are going to pick one high because they are desperate. They need to show some hope for the future.

George McCaskey and Ted Phillips spent most of the year end press conference talking about the QB spot, there is no way that their big answer to owner ship is Andy Dalton 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With Andy Dalton you are 100% irrelevant. He cannot play at a level good enough to win in the playoffs. His entire career has shown us this.

Well, I mean...he can

But consistently? Against really good teams? No. 

Dalton isn't any sort of answer. 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, I mean...he can

But consistently? Against really good teams? No. 

Dalton isn't any sort of answer. 

He can’t. He has been to the playoffs multiple times and never won and those were good Bengals teams.

You can win anything of value with Dalton, he is here to keep them from getting embarrassed.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He can’t. He has been to the playoffs multiple times and never won and those were good Bengals teams.

You can win anything of value with Dalton, he is here to keep them from getting embarrassed.

I think that's why they signed him. He's good enough to get you there but not really good enough to win you anything substantial..

At the end of the day just getting to the playoffs again may save their jobs

You're not taking Jones, Trask, Mond, etc to win now. You're taking them in hopes of having that piece actually worth a damn in the future. For once to have stability there would be amazing.  

No we're wont pick the right guy most likely and our coach is a hack so it's irrelevant.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think that's why they signed him. He's good enough to get you there but not really good enough to win you anything substantial..

At the end of the day just getting to the playoffs again may save their jobs

Dalton keeps you from winning 5 or 6 games and getting auto-fired.

You aren’t winning anything with him.

He was signed to keep it from getting embarrassing. That is why they couldn’t play Foles despite his salary and the awful trade.

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

That said, I'm one of the few bears fans who wouldn't be at all upset if we didn't go QB at all this draft, because in all likelihood 5 qbs are gone by pick 10, and I don't like the 2nd rounders much.

That makes at least two of us.  I'm more unsold on any extremely aggressive move for a QB than sold.

The case I would make is that if Pace still harbors hopes of getting Wilson eventually we have no need to spend major draft capital now and in the future for a top 5 pick.  Not unless the unspoken deal with Seattle is "if you can draft _________ for us, we'll do a deal where you get Wilson and we get Draftee X".  I don't actually suspect this is the case but post June 1st I would not rule it completely out either.  It's been done many time before just not lately.

OK, enough speculation.

IMHO Dalton as #1 is slight upgrade from Mitch who, if he can turn in a career year, could shock some folks.  He's not exactly dog meat.

If Dalton can get us to the playoffs and either win or show enough going down in flames trying it's very likely Pace and Nagy are safe from being axed if that isn't the case already.  We also have a very capable vet #2 who should look better with another year in under his belt and some better protection and scheming than he got in 2020.  Foles is not dog meat either but he is a safe and secure #2.

So if there is any kind of common sense plan among Plans A-F why not choose the one that not only helps your offense and your QB and RBs and also fill that huge hole left at CB when Fuller was allowed to leave?  The one stand out need on offense and defense is an OT and a top lock down type CB.  So fill those holes first and make life easier for your QB both directly and indirectly.

I would actually keep the picks and make QB my third target.  Get a kid who can play the schemes you play and groom his to play them.  If we can eventually pull of a trade for Wilson he becomes Wilson's apprentice and Dalton/Foles are both gone.  If not and Dalton proves worthy of an extension you let Foles go and elevate the rookie to Dalton's understudy and hope you got lucky.

None of the precludes the idea that we should keep drafting QBs looking for the ruby in a mountain of rocks or a diamond in a Cracker Jack Box.  If we can't manage to "buy a QB" off someone else then we're gonna have to do what Bears fans could see as a miracle and for once draft one and actually develop him into a winner ourselves......wow, what a great idea and it hasn't been done yet. 

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Soul, I understand the thought process behind the approach and it could be just to costly to make a move for a QB.

But what you are advocating is a checkdown on 3rd and 10.

It is safe, it gets you some yards, on a super rare occasion it may even get you a first down (Dak, Russ), but it is unlikely to move the needle.