Alex Smith retires

Forge

19 minutes ago, 49ers fan said:

Alex had two comebacks. In 2007, which niner fans were hoping would be the breakout year, he hurt his shoulder early on in the season. We had to roll with Trent Dilfer and when Alex came back, he looked bad. Then in 2008, he missed the entire year due to the same shoulder IIRC. 2009, he comes back half way and has a respectable return and then in 2010, he fell off. Then in 2011, he finally had a good year in the Harbaugh era.  

I feel like we robbed Alex of what he could have been. 6 offensive coordinators in 6 years. Two being Jim Hostler and Jimmy Raye who are probably the WOAT.

I can see this I just think people saying he's better than Rodgers if he goes to green bay are crazy . I always will take Rodgers above smith I liked Rodgers better coming out.

20 minutes ago, 49ers fan said:

Alex had two comebacks. In 2007, which niner fans were hoping would be the breakout year, he hurt his shoulder early on in the season. We had to roll with Trent Dilfer and when Alex came back, he looked bad. Then in 2008, he missed the entire year due to the same shoulder IIRC. 2009, he comes back half way and has a respectable return and then in 2010, he fell off. Then in 2011, he finally had a good year in the Harbaugh era.  

I feel like we robbed Alex of what he could have been. 6 offensive coordinators in 6 years. Two being Jim Hostler and Jimmy Raye who are probably the WOAT.

Excellent point.  I've often wondered how the two QB's would have turned out if the Niners had drafted Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith had landed in the perfect situation in Green Bay, being able to sit for 2-3 years behind a Hall of Famer and absorb just one offense during that time.  It worked out for Rodgers, but Alex Smith must have a lot of "what-ifs" to ponder when he looks back at that time in his career.

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I can see this I just think people saying he's better than Rodgers if he goes to green bay are crazy . I always will take Rodgers above smith I liked Rodgers better coming out.

Apparently, a number of NFL General Managers and Head Coaches felt differently.

Edited by Uncle Buck

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Apparently, a number of NFL General Managers and Head Coaches felt differently.

Eh I don't buy that as much as most. Rodgers was neck and neck the draft wage scale was too crazy to pair a round one qb with a high paid vet that's the only reason he fell.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Eh I don't buy that as much as most. Rodgers was neck and neck the draft wage scale was too crazy to pair a round one qb with a high paid vet that's the only reason he fell.

Makes sense.  I think you are right that they were neck and neck.  I've always thought that it could have been a situation where, once San Francisco took Alex, no other teams needed a QB enough to invest a first round pick until Green Bay came along.  Kudos to them on scooping Rodgers up when they still had an all-time great on the roster.

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Makes sense.  I think you are right that they were neck and neck.  I've always thought that it could have been a situation where, once San Francisco took Alex, no other teams needed a QB enough to invest a first round pick until Green Bay came along.  Kudos to them on scooping Rodgers up when they still had an all-time great on the roster.

Once bradfotgot paid that ridiculous contract things changes thank god lol. I'm so curitto see if Ponder and Gabbert are firsts round top 10 picks with the old wage scale .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

$ 210M in career earnings

118 in career AV per PFR

199 career passing TDs
86.9 Passer Rating
2615 yds rushing + 15 TDs

100 % world class human

Question though I mean the career earnings are impressive no doubt but with that life threatening injury tells us anyway baseball is probably a better option if your a top round baseball prospect. I know it's not smith directly but murray  at a number one pick. Say Smith had murray's baseball status and ability wouldn't you say hindsight he should of chose football?

And Jeff Samarja was a highly touted prospect I was looking back today and saying at 90 million he could of easily matched that he was a great red zone threat so I'm thinking Jordy Nelson type contract. But atm right now I'm thinking Vincent Jackson a similar size and draft year to Jeff Samarja and their talking like it's CTE related so he made a good choice imo.

20 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

By the standards of #1 overall draft picks, he was a bust.

But, I give him a lot of credit for staying in the NFL as long as he did. 

For a lot of QBs that were in his perspective, they’ll have 2-3 years in the league tops and that’s it.

But, Alex Smith proved himself worthy.  

No, his team was a bust. Inept ownership hired inept coaches. When the 9ers got better, they traded him. 

I do agree with the rest of this. 

16 hours ago, pwny said:

Is he though? I know expectations for #1 overall picks often tend to suggest that you're shooting for the stars and everyone there needs to have the career of Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman, but the reality of the career trajectory of #1 overall picks would suggest that Alex Smith had a career firmly among the better half of players selected there.

That’s exactly the point though.  

So many of them that do go first overall end up being backups or out of the league in less than 5 years instead of being Aikman or Manning.  

Other than the fact that he managed to stay in the league for as long as he did, what makes Alex Smith any more special than the rest of them?  

How would that in any way put him above the status of being a disappointment after going 1st overall?

Ok, let’s put it in this perspective.  

In the last 16 years, was he ever a legitimate threat to your team?  

No really.  

Edited by RamblinMan99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

That’s exactly the point though.  

So many of them that do go first overall end up being backups or out of the league in less than 5 years instead of being Aikman or Manning.  

Other than the fact that he managed to stay in the league for as long as he did, what makes Alex Smith any more special than the rest of them?  

How would that in any way put him above the status of being a disappointment after going 1st overall?

Ok, let’s put it in this perspective.  

In the last 16 years, was he ever a legitimate threat to your team?  

No really.  

Alex Smith is also one of my favorites--love the guy.

And based on the first three pages of this thread, you are entirely correct.

ALEX SMITH IS ONE IF THE OVERRATED PLAYERS OF THE LAST TWENTY YEARS. It's hilarious how little return he gave based on the $210 million, 1st pick overall, long career, perfect situation with Andy Reid etc. Again, I live the guy and his story, but also lol folks are nuts (see the Bengals uni thread 🤫).