Alex Smith Retires.....Good dude

Sounds like he might have had options for a likely low salary backup qb mentor role, but no one wants to sign him as a starter.  Frankly, I am glad he will literally "walk away" and not hurt that leg any more.  He had a very solid and fairly long career.  I never liked the trade for him, nor was I impressed by his play, but he an impressive guy for sure.

• Like 2

Just an all around great person. I definitely doubted he could ever play football again after he broke his leg and  almost died because of his infection, he definitely proved me wrong. Last season was inspirational with him leading us to the playoffs. It really sucks he couldn’t play in the playoff game vs Brady though.

Anywhoo... I am glad he’s retiring. He needs to spend some time with his family and take those walks with his wife that he talked about in his Instagram video.

He’s an inspiration to every single person for how he persevered after his leg injury and made it back to play at such a high level.

Good luck to Alex in his retirement. I feel we’ll be seeing him either on TV, as a coach on the sidelines or in some teams front office within a few years. I’m glad he’s taking some time to be with his family though. They all deserve that!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Just an all around great person. I definitely doubted he could ever play football again after he broke his leg and he proved me wrong. Last season was inspirational with him leading us to the playoffs really sucks he couldn’t play in the playoff game vs Brady though.

Anywhoo... I am glad he’s retiring. He needs to spend some time with his family and take those walks with his wife that he talked about in his Instagram video.

He’s an inspiration to every single person for how he persevered after his leg injury and made it back to play at such a high level.

Good luck to Alex in his retirement. I feel we’ll be seeing him either on TV, as a coach on the sidelines or in some teams front office within a few years. I’m glad he’s taking some time to be with his family though. They all deserve that!

You know being at that game and the RG game against BMore and the Eagles game the week before Sean got shot I gotta say when Alex went down the rest of the game was seriously flat. Fans weren’t even cheering or booing it was just a environment I’ve never seen before.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

You know being at that game and the RG game against BMore and the Eagles game the week before Sean got shot I gotta say when Alex went down the rest of the game was seriously flat. Fans weren’t even cheering or booing it was just a environment I’ve never seen before.

Wow 😳 I didn’t know you were at all 3 of those games. Maybe you need to stop going to games??? 😂 jk, jk

I was at the Buffalo game the week after Sean got killed. That was sad, I even cried a little during the video tribute they showed of all his plays and stuff. I still have that 21 burgundy & gold towel they handed out that day.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Wow 😳 I didn’t know you were at all 3 of those games. Maybe you need to stop going to games??? 😂 jk, jk

I was at the Buffalo game the week after Sean got killed. That was sad, I even cried a little during the video tribute they showed of all his plays and stuff. I still have that 21 burgundy & gold towel they handed out that day.

Trust me I’ve thought about that a ton. But I’ve seen some of the most, yet few magical games we’ve had in person as well. So it’s crazy but yeah after that game it really hit me how many of the dang it man games I’ve seen in person as well. The thing I will say is I’m not much of a drinker never have been and all 3 of those games I was tore up so I have said I’d never drink at a game again lol

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

So do we get the relief of him retiring or do we still have dead cap because we cut him before he retired?

No, I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t have any effect.

I believe the guaranteed salaries were all gone by this point, so basically we just took the hit for the remaining portions of the original signing bonus that we hadn’t been charged for on the cap yet. That would have been the case whether he retired or was cut, so I don’t think there will be any sort of adjustment or refunding of the dead cap number. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

No, I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t have any effect.

I believe the guaranteed salaries were all gone by this point, so basically we just took the hit for the remaining portions of the original signing bonus that we hadn’t been charged for on the cap yet. That would have been the case whether he retired or was cut, so I don’t think there will be any sort of adjustment or refunding of the dead cap number. 

Thanks E!!! I couldn’t remember if there would have been or not from earlier this offseason when it was being discussed. 

23 hours ago, offbyone said:

Sounds like he might have had options for a likely low salary backup qb mentor role, but no one wants to sign him as a starter.  Frankly, I am glad he will literally "walk away" and not hurt that leg any more.  He had a very solid and fairly long career.  I never liked the trade for him, nor was I impressed by his play, but he an impressive guy for sure.

All of this.

I'm happy for him that he can walk again and I loved the feel good story of him coming back. But so happy he decided to go on his terms. He has a bright future in coaching if he wants to pursue that profession

P.S - > I want it duly noted that I got this one right.

• Like 3

It’s a real nice story but he acts like his career was going to resume like it was before he got hurt and blaming WFT because he didn’t. How come he’s not continuing his career with some other team if he feels we held him back. He can’t play anymore, sometimes you have to accept the time has come. 

24 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It’s a real nice story but he acts like his career was going to resume like it was before he got hurt and blaming WFT because he didn’t. How come he’s not continuing his career with some other team if he feels we held him back. He can’t play anymore, sometimes you have to accept the time has come. 

I think Alex has accepted it. He also wanted to tell his story. Both things can be true.