Official Washington Wizards Thread

Kmart128

Well we signed Jeff Green today. I like him better than Mike Scott. Him, Rivers and Oubre... I'm liking our bench all of a sudden. If we can add a decent starting Center I can see some improvement.

PG: John Wall / Tomas Santoransky

SG: Bradley Beal / Austin Rivers

SF: Otto Porter Jr / Kelly Oubre 

PF: Markief Morris / Jeff Green

C: Dwight Howard??? / Ian Mahimni 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well we signed Jeff Green today. I like him better than Mike Scott. Him, Rivers and Oubre... I'm liking our bench all of a sudden. If we can add a decent starting Center I can see some improvement.

They just signed howard. I think if wall amd beal do their thing. Its a top 3 seed in east. 

9 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Someone has to go because they are over the luxury tax.  I seriously doubt they add Howard unless they move a major salary like Porter.

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Does cutting Mahimni save us any money? I'd love to cut Ian and sign a guy like Alex Len or Luc Mbah a Moute  for our bench

If the Cavs could find a way to deal with you to at least get that number reduced, and get back a player and a future pick, I'd do it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 5:31 PM, marshawn lynch said:

We have a solid team. Certainly the best depth we’ve had since I can remember. Perhaps in the 70s we had better depth, but we definitely haven’t been this deep in the last 35 years or so.

• 9 months later...

Well the off-season looked pretty bleak but seems we made out pretty well considering the crappy situation we are in.

PG: Isaiah Thomas / Ish Smith /John Wall

SG: Bradley Beal / Jonathon Simmons / Admiral Schofield

SF: CJ Miles / Troy Brown Jr / Sam Dekker

PF: Rui Hachumura / Dave Bertans

C: Thomas Bryant / Ian Mahimni / Mortiz Wagner

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2019 at 8:50 PM, Kmart128 said:

Well the off-season looked pretty bleak but seems we made out pretty well considering the crappy situation we are in.

PG: Isaiah Thomas / Ish Smith /John Wall

SG: Bradley Beal / Jonathon Simmons / Admiral Schofield

SF: CJ Miles / Troy Brown Jr / Sam Dekker

PF: Rui Hachumura / Dave Bertans

😄 Thomas Bryant / Ian Mahimni / Mortiz Wagner

Hey man, not sure if you’re still around in this board but I thought I’d quote ya to see. us Washington Football team fans created a Washington Wizards thread in our forum and you’re welcome to visit that or anyone else who wants to talk Wizards.

Here’s my thoughts on the 2020 Wizards season:

PG: Westbrook - 24 ppg, 10 assists, 7 rebs

SG: Beal - 27 ppg, 5 assists, 5 rebs

SF: Brown - 12 ppg, 4 assists, 6 rebs

PF: Rui: 15 ppg, 3 assists, 7 rebs

C : Bryant: 12 ppg, 2 assists, 10 rebs 

Bertans: 15 ppg, 2 assists, 5 rebs

Avdija: 10 ppg, 2 assists, 6 rebs

I. Smith: 8 ppg, 5 assists, 3 rebs

Wagner: 9 ppg, 1 assist, 5 rebs

Bonga: 5 pts,  2 assists, 3 rebs

I can not believe the Wizard were able to unload Wall’s contract, now, I believe Wall Wilk have a good rest of his career but will never again quite be the player he was in 2016 & 17 before his knee injuries, heel injury and achillies injury.

Its sad as a Wizards fan to see him go and was weird watching him in a Rockets uniform a few days ago. I have to say, one thing that has bugged me for 5 years is why the Wizards/Ernie never made a trade for Cousins. I always wanted to reunite Cousins & Wall even back 5 years ago when Cousins was on the Kings. Wizards could’ve sent the Kings Gortat, Porter and probably something else for Cousins.

Wall, Beal & Cousins would’ve been fun to watch and I wish they had been together the last 5 years. Even this year I wanted the Wizards to sign Cousins to go w/ Wall, Beal, Bertans & Rui.

Oh well, what’s in the past is in the past.

I’m excited for Wall to get to play with Harden, Gordon, Cousins and those shooters in H-town, that team should be similar to when Chris Paul was there and maybe better because Cousins can stretch the floor too.

I’m also excited to see Westbrook reunite with Brooks and to see the Wizards new back court of Russ & Brad. Russ isn’t a consistent 3-point shooter, but he attacks so much and brings so much energy that’s it’s going to rub off on this young team and Beal. I’m looking forward to that, the word is he’s already made a difference on the team.

I’m excited for the Wizards this year. I think Russ & Brad will lead the way like John & Brad did 3 years ago, I don’t see any reason why Russ & Brad can’t combine for 52-55 ppg, 12-13 assists and 12-13 rebounds per game.

One area I’m worried about though is 3 point shooting. Russ has a tendency to take bad 3’s and as Beal’s volume from 3 has gone up the last two years, his efficiency has gone down. I will say though that Beal was hurt by not playing with Wall the last two years and having someone create open looks for him, Russ can do that for Beal.

The last two years Beal only shot 35% from 3 while shooting 7 & 8 threes a game in 2018 & 19. In 2016, Beal shot 40% from 3 and in 2917 he shot 38%, same with 2015. It’s important that Beal hits one more 3 a game and gets that average closer to 40% rather than 35%.

The Wizards also need to see Russ shoot better from 3. Last year Russ was an abysmal 26% from 3, that needs to get up over 30% if the Wizards are going to be anything more than just a team that’s competing for the 8th playoff spot and a 1st round exit. I guess the good news is that last year he only attempted 4 threes a game, and if he can get that average in between 30-35% that will help out a lot.

Lastly, I’ve been impressed by the progress that Deni Avdija is showing vs. where he was in the Euro league. Deni looks like he’ll be a year one contributor, he’s really shooting it nice, rebounding well and playing better D than I thought he would, he’s also a good playmaker for his size. He reminds me of a young Peja Stoyakovich or Turkolough. 

Also, even though he only played one preseason game game bc of an eye infection, it appeared that Rui has more confidence in his 3-pt shot and he was shooting it well vs the Nets. And, Troy Brown has really shot it well from 3 this preseason which is something that pessimist kept telling me on Twitter on in here would never happen. He’s seriously 67% from 3 over the 3 preseason games. Obviously that won’t continue but it’s very promising and if he can shoot 35-38 from 3 that will be awesome for him whether he starts or comes off the bench as a back up SG, SF or point forward. His best role is as a point forward but, we have veteran back up PGs behind Russ so I think he’ll end up being either the starting SF to start the year or the main back up at SG/SF.

I’m still not sure who Brooks is going to start at SF. They have 4 options:

1. Bertans, he’s not really a small forward, he’s a stretch 4 that can’t play D but, if he’s playing SF his length could bother other SFs who most are 6’8 and under but I’m not sure he starts even though regardless of if he starts or not, he’ll play 30-35 min per game.

2. Troy Brown - As I said before he’s improved his shooting which is great because at SF we’re going to need a guy who can’t knock down an open 3 when Russ drives and kicks it out. I like his play making ability too, he can definitely initiate the offense and create his own shot. He’s be my choice for starting SF to being the year and then make a change if it’s not working for him in that role.

3. Deni Avdija - This kid seems to have tons of potential to be another one of those stars from overseas. He shoots it well, he’s tall at 6’9, he creates well and has a goos handle for a guy his size and he rebounds and plays better D than I thought he would. I think eventually he’ll be the Wizards starting SF, but I’m not sure when.

4. Isaac Bonga - Bonga is a defensive first player which is something the Wizards need on their starting offense. If Bonga plays with Beal, Bonga can take the toughest defensive assignment every night which obviously helps Beal a lot. Bonga also needs to improve his offensive game, confidence and his consistency from 3 and it seems from what I saw vs Detroit two night ago that he has. Some think he’ll start at SF because of his D and they’ll be hopes that he’s improved his 3-point shot enough where he can be considered a 3 & D player. Last year he averaged only 5 ppg and if he’s going to start IMO that # should almost double, If he can’t do that then they might as well start Troy Brown Jr or Bertans.

Again, my preference to start the year off is to go with Troy Brown and then evaluate it for a while and then decide if we want to continue with him as the starting 3, or move to someone else while Brown comes off the bench as the 6th or 7th man as a point forward type for the 2nd unit.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:31 PM, Kmart128 said:

😄 Dwight Howard??? / Ian Mahimni 

Still sucks that Howard & Wall got hurt this season. If this team was healthy they would’ve been a contender in the East but oh well.

I look back on that 2018 season and just think damn! Ugh 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by turtle28