Jenkins' best position?

Les Punting

3 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

No. I'm simply saying we have more depth at IOL than we do at OT. 

Jenkins has all the measurables, physical and mental ability to excel at any position on the line. If you see different, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Jenkins would do the job at any OL position he was ask to play, but to say he would excel at T is based off of nothing. His combine 3-cone was 7.77, hardly elite T feet on that drill. He is a proven elite IOL player, don't understand the thinking to mess with that. I'm not sure what else to tell you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Jenkins would do the job at any OL position he was ask to play, but to say he would excel at T is based off of nothing. His combine 3-cone was 7.77, hardly elite T feet on that drill. He is a proven elite IOL player, don't understand the thinking to mess with that. I'm not sure what else to tell you. 

I'm not advocating that we should move him, if it's not needed... lol not sure where all that is coming from. I just think Jenkins would be more than fine at RT, not going to go back and forth on the internet arguing about it though. Perhaps we'll find out this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

Sorry I disagree. Not sure why fans want to take a Pro bowl caliber IOL and turn him into just another Tackle. To each their own.  

I'm fine leaving him at OG as long as we have sufficient players at OT. Not sure we do right now until Bakh comes back. That could change if we go OT at 29. If not, I think there is a very good chance its Turner and Jenkins at OT Week 1. When 69 comes back, you probably slide Jenkins back inside but Turner is an option as well if you left Jenkins at RT. Options. 

I'd be kinda stunned if they drafted an OT at 29 and then thought he was an opening-day rookie starter.  So yeah, I think there's a pretty good chance that Turner and Jenkins are the two tackles on opening day.  I'd love it if either a draft pick or Nijman seemed good enough in practice to be given the Bakhti fill-in starts.  Because that will only happen if they look pretty NFL-ready, which would be unexpectedly great news.  

Ok,guys, the more I read about the vacant positions on our o-line, the more puzzled I get. I could be wrong, often am wrong, but the talk about moving Elgton Jenkins somewhere often ends there--and being a Big Picture type person that leaves me mystified a bit. For about half of next season or longer, we have no one to play left tackle as things stand today. Between Elgton Jenkins, Jon Runyan, Lucas Patrick and Jake Hanson we fill at least left guard and center--maybe even right guard as well, especially if we throw in Simon Stepaniak. Our right tackle appears to be Billy Turner as of now. And Turner at right guard is a decent move. If we use all these guys, we do fill all the tackle/guard/center spots--but then we have no depth. So what I am asking is, how do we not use our first round pick on a left tackle?-- or trade for a veteran? Some think we could move E. Jenkins to right tackle. Fine, but then Billy Turner moves to left tackle and that notion leaves me very cold. Turner played the best he could, but in the championship game he did not leave me feeling very confident. At least for me, I can't get past the hole at left tackle as things stand. And please don't tell me that Yosh Nijman is the answer. What's the best mix? Should we pick a player who could be a swing left/right tackle (Eichenberg?) or a swing guard/tackle (Leatherwood?) There are much better minds in the forum than mine. What makes the most sense for the Big Picture of all the positions for the o-line?

7 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

For about half of next season or longer, we have no one to play left tackle as things stand today.

What's the best mix? Should we pick a player who could be a swing left/right tackle (Eichenberg?) or a swing guard/tackle (Leatherwood?) There are much better minds in the forum than mine. What makes the most sense for the Big Picture of all the positions for the o-line?

We don't really have a time table on that, yet.  Bakhtiari could miss the entire season, or he could play week 1.  I would guess that he misses a couple, myself.  In the case that we start the season tomorrow, I think our line looks like:  Turner-Runyan-Patrick-?-Jenkins.  

I think in the draft you look for a guy that can play RT day 1, and be the long term starter at that position.  That probably means a first or second round pick.  That gives the Packers bookend tackles again.  Start that guy at RT and keep him there.  To the original post, I think Jenkins is best as a guard, or center.  Let him become an elite guard.  The fact that he can play all line positions is a bonus.    

• Like 1

Because he is so flexible, look at the best positions for the strongest remaining players, and plug Jenkins in at whatever position is left as the weakest. Longer term, you can look at his best position, but for now I'd try for the best existing players in their best positions and him filling in where required.

I suspect that ultimately, his best position might be where he played in college, at Center. Part of the decision on where he ends up, could depend on which O linemen are picked in this draft (assuming they develop well).

34 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I think RT makes the most sense if he can handle it, otherwise guard. I feel like you can find decent undersized centers for development in the later rounds (could just be bias following this team the last 3 decades though).

This is a very good OL draft, and with Elgton and Billy we have great depth. Jenkins can play LG, C (really anywhere in a pinch)... and Turner is good at RT or RG, LT if Bahk doesn't start.

Based on timetables of recovery, Bahk is on pace for a Week 1 start, barring setbacks. Knowing how stubborn he is, I bet he plays. You give Yosh reps there to see if he can get you out of a game or two during TC, and you might draft a T early that can flip if needed. Cosmi, Tevin Jenkins, Radunz, Eichenberg, Christiansen, Little, and few others all would start at OT over Elgton. 

I think we'll know by Round 5 of the draft where these guys will be playing. If we go C, then you're looking at Jenkins at LG. Runyon may be in our long-term plans, so you can plug him at RG and Billy Turner at RT. I really am not too worried. Get one guy who can play meaningful snaps in the draft and you don't need to move Jenkins from LG.

If you're thinking long term - you would rather extend Jenkins at a G or C contract than a T deal. Jenkins will be up for negotiations 2 years earlier than any of the guys you're drafting this year. 

I think that the Pack will try Jenkins at LT until Bakh comes back even though that might not be his best position.  I just don't see the Packers paying elite money to an IOL.  Other teams must have seen EJ perform well at at tackle last year and would be willing to pay him as such.  I believe that they will go IOL and perhaps a developmental OT in rounds 3-4.