Trading Rodgers: A Down Year Discussion

MacReady

Which do you take?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you take?

• Option 1 (Garrett, two first round picks)
    • Option 2 (Rodgers)

1 hour ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

You think GB wins the Superbowl in 2010 with a journeyman at QB? You think NE comes back to win last year with Jimmy G instead of Brady?

A journeyman QB could have gotten the Packers there that year.  If Woodson didn't get hurt, yes, a journeyman QB could have won that Super Bowl.  And Jimmy G might not have thrown two interceptions (including a pick 6) in the first half.  Brady had one of the worst first half performances in Super Bowl history that game.  He had no business winning that game, and he would not have won that game if his defense didn't force multiple turnovers and knock the Falcons out of field goal range.  

3 hours ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

This is true, which is evidence toward my thesis that elite QB > journeyman + elite D. If Eli and Flacco aren't elite QBs, they certainly played like they were in the playoffs/SB.

But they’re not! They are only in the top half to top third at best. Their defense got them there and they just happened to have a great game when it counted. Why couldn’t Huntley do the same thing for us?

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

A journeyman QB could have gotten the Packers there that year.  If Woodson didn't get hurt, yes, a journeyman QB could have won that Super Bowl.  And Jimmy G might not have thrown two interceptions (including a pick 6) in the first half.  Brady had one of the worst first half performances in Super Bowl history that game.  He had no business winning that game, and he would not have won that game if his defense didn't force multiple turnovers and knock the Falcons out of field goal range.  

Yeah that throw to Jennings is going to be made by a journeyman QB.....

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah that throw to Jennings is going to be made by a journeyman QB.....

No, it wouldn't have been.  Never said it would have been.  It's a butterfly effect scenario.  Different QB, different game. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, it wouldn't have been.  Never said it would have been.  It's a butterfly effect scenario.  Different QB, different game. 

Yeah but that was the caliber of defense you're talking about building. Right there in 2010, and we still needed elite QB play to win. We absolutely lose that game without Aaron. The throws he made all over that field were incredible.

14 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Dude, in 2010, we dont win 5 games without Rodgers. And the Super Bowl? Have you forgotten the throw he made to Jennings for a TD over the middle or the throw to him on 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter? Rodgers is the only QB in football who could make either of those throws amd we don't win the SB unless he makes both of them. Give it a rest. 

12 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

How can that be? You need to be an elite QB to win a super bowl. 

Eli played very well those years especially in the playoffs. He outplayed Favre in 2007 and outplayed Rodgers in 2011. So yes, he played elite QB when it mattered and was a primary reason why his team won the SB along with the Giant defense.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah but that was the caliber of defense you're talking about building. Right there in 2010, and we still needed elite QB play to win. We absolutely lose that game without Aaron. The throws he made all over that field were incredible.

How do you know the dynamic of the game doesn't change completely and it turns into a field position game?  And the Steelers don't go long to what's-his-face, so Woodson doesn't go out?  And my scenario isn't journeyman QB.  We'd have three first round picks, one of which could be a QB. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How do you know the dynamic of the game doesn't change completely and it turns into a field position game?  And the Steelers don't go long to what's-his-face, so Woodson doesn't go out?  And my scenario isn't journeyman QB.  We'd have three first round picks, one of which could be a QB. 

just because a guy’s a 1st round pick doesn’t mean he’ll be better than journeyman caliber.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Eli played very well those years especially in the playoffs. He outplayed Favre in 2007 and outplayed Rodgers in 2011. So yes, he played elite QB when it mattered and was a primary reason why his team won the SB along with the Giant defense.

You’re proving my point. The question was would you trade Rogers for all those pics I say yes because you can find a quarterback who may not be an elite quarterback but gets hot. Look at Alex Smith this year is certainly not an elite quarterback but is having an elite year.

You can’t win without a good defense. All those pics and Garrett could and should lead to an elite defense just like the Cowboys did in the Herschel Walker trade 

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

And if Jordy hadn't dropped some of those passes that game isn't even close.

I voted no to trading Rodgers.  Then I read the thread and found different things that popped up...

In this next draft, if I could get Cleveland's pick and Garrett, man, that is hard to pass up.

I'd keep Hundley for one year and draft one of those stud QB's coming out.  The league is showing that rookies can come in and contribute...at a high level now.  That's how this scenario works out.

Here's how it doesn't work out.  Capers and to some extent McCarthy.  The team really needs to move on from Dom. (hey, that kinda rhymed).  I don't know if Dom is that bad, or if he just can't get through to the players, but clearly he needs to go.  I watch other teams and would love to see some energy like they have.  I miss simple things, like stunts on passing plays.  No one is getting us over the hump with Dom controlling the defense.

And offensively, I do not trust McCarthy to have success, consistent high level success, with anyone but #12.  I think that league not only caught up to Mac, but has clearly passed him by.

So that scenario has doomsday written all over it, trading Rodgers, if those coaches are not gone.

You want to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers, I think a prior poster is right.  #MoveOnFromDom and see what happens.  

There aren’t 22 current players or prospects that I would enjoy watching play together more than I enjoy watching Aaron Rodgers play with whichever random yearly guys TT can find with his #29 overall picks.  Seriously, let me watch Aaron and a rack of 21 basketballs and I’m good to go.

Archived