Was there a specific moment when you realized a QB wasn’t going to pan out?

CP3MVP

Probably when the news started to trickle out that he had again violated COVID rules by attending a maskless hotel party with strippers after losing his first start since getting the job back. 

Just made clear he was never going to get it...at least in his hometown. 

• Like 4

Jamarcus Russell's very first game. Just the whole thing. He looked awful and embodied the reason Miller booted him from an interview. 

It's usually not even on-field stuff though, as plenty of QBs have their early lumps. 

But Russell, Manziel, Vince Young, Leinart, etc- just total morons off the field. That's usually when I "know". 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

How so?

It was well documented early on that Leinart was more interested in playing the part of NFL QB off the field than on it. 

Dennis Green didn't do him many favors, but dude was still a regular at USC frat parties in his 3rd year in the league while backing up not-yet-prime Kurt Warner. That says a lot. 

That he was still making rookie mistakes during his 4th just further showed how his lack of maturity in general held him back on the field. 

Franchise players don't hang out at frat parties at their alma maters 3, 4 years after leaving. You're not even visiting former classmates at that point, you're Van Wilder. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

It doesn’t have to be for your team. A specific game Or a throw or something that happened that where it was like ok this guy just doesn’t have it... He’s not a franchise QB.

For the record I am talking about first round QBs who were expected to be franchise Qbs 

2011 Blaine Gabbert. Preseason game 2 vs. the Falcons backups. Dude just didn't have it. He was total garbage.

9 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

It doesn’t have to be for your team. A specific game Or a throw or something that happened that where it was like ok this guy just doesn’t have it... He’s not a franchise QB.

For the record I am talking about first round QBs who were expected to be franchise Qbs 

For me, it's when a QB, on 3rd down throws short of the first down hoping his running back or receiver can make a play for a first down... for the third time in a game.  Of course, with that criteria, there are several franchise QBs that I do not think are franchise QBs.

Goff vs Miami last year. I knew he was washed after that. You could just see he had no way to read a defense, he just looked completely lost and out classed. 

Combine that with losing to a beat up nines team with a back up QB. I just knew his days were numbered. It's gonna get ugly in Detroit pretty fast.