Was there a specific moment when you realized a QB wasn’t going to pan out?

CP3MVP

I knew EJ Manuel was a bad QB long before he was a 1st round prospect

So I guess, technically, the first moment I knew he was a bust was the minute I learned that he was projected to be a high enough draft being to be worthy of the title "bust". Before that he was just a mediocre college QB

I'm still a little grossed out by how excited Bills fans were about him. 

Edited by Tk3

Just looking at Josh Rosen on draft day.  

He actually had the appearance of a draft bust.  I didn’t care at all that he came from a family of athletes.  You could just see it in his facial expression that he didn’t have the drive to make it in the NFL.

Another one would be watching Mason Rudolph’s college highlights at Oklahoma State right before he was drafted.  

The ball came out of his hand too slow consistently.  There was no denying that it wasn’t going to work for us.  

20 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

also not sure how Brock Osweiler ever got a chance. Every single time he played he made rudimentary throws of the ball look incredibly difficult. I guess when he had that throw/fumble while playing for the Texans against Denver.  already knew he sucked by then but I was begging for teams to stop putting him on TV. Despite what some franchises think There’s more to playing QB than being tall

And then Elway brings him back and cuts Kyle Sloter, someone who had potential. That upset me greatly. The Broncos had nobody at the position. Lynch was a bust by then, and should have been cut, and you knew that Siemian's days as a starter were numbered. Also, they drafted Chad Kelly, but he wasn't better than Sloter (although he would go on and play well in the 2018 pre-season).

10 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I knew EJ Manuel was a bad QB long before he was a 1st round prospect

So I guess, technically, the first moment I knew he was a bust was the minute I learned that he was projected to be a high enough draft being to be worthy of the title "bust". Before that he was just a mediocre college QB

I'm still a little grossed out by how excited Bills fans were about him. 

That was definitely a pick that had "bust" written all over him from the start. I could never figure out how that dude went in the first round.

Same with Weeden to the Browns. I actually liked Weeden at Oklahoma State, but definitely not as a first round pick. More like a 3rd-4th round pick.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:39 AM, candyman93 said:

The play at :45 told me what I needed to know 

Twice in my lifetime the Packers have had reclamation projects of former Browns QBs.   I thought that the Browns were just trash, and we would have an awesome back-up that we could then trade for picks when we signed Tim Couch.  Well, I thought wrong.  Then we traded for Deshone.  I thought, well, this could be a better version of Hundley... What happens when you get fooled twice?  I don't know, but it made me feel like a real Jerk!

• Like 3

JP Losman (2004)...the moment we drafted him after the big 3 (Roethlisberger, Eli & Rivers) had already came off the board and we reached for the next available QB.

EJ Manuel (2013)...also the moment we drafted him when he was average at best in college and we reached on him in the 1st and our GM was on his way out the door and drafted a QB just for the sake of saying he set us up with one for the future.

Go Bills

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 5:44 AM, RamblinMan99 said:

You could just see it in his facial expression that he didn’t have the drive to make it in the NFL.

It won’t get the recognition, but this deserves to be up there with the “tell he’s a good guy from a look in his eyes” post.

• Like 3

I knew Gabbert was going to be bad when I started scouting him and even his college highlight videos were just 7 minutes of him throwing dump off passes. When there was nothing else positive there to highlight, you knew he was going to be bad. 

On 4/22/2021 at 9:22 PM, DER10N92 said:

EJ Manuel (2013)...also the moment we drafted him when he was average at best in college and we reached on him in the 1st and our GM was on his way out the door and drafted a QB just for the sake of saying he set us up with one for the future.

I remember even his college coach was like, "yeah....I wouldn't draft him."