Was there a specific moment when you realized a QB wasn’t going to pan out?

CP3MVP

Brandon Weeden- prior to the nfl draft. He didnt look like a football player in college, he could only throw a fast ball, didnt move at all well. Didnt have the body of a football player, he has skinny legs. 

I was the last off the kizer train, it was the repeated interceptions week after week. 

Brian Hoyer- interesting case- still wanted to see more of him for the browns. 

On 4/22/2021 at 10:22 PM, DER10N92 said:

JP Losman (2004)...the moment we drafted him after the big 3 (Roethlisberger, Eli & Rivers) had already came off the board and we reached for the next available QB.

At the time, Someone (I think Mark Schlereth, but I am not sure) said that he had a great arm, but he was more immature than my 4-year old daughter. That pick didn't make any sense. They took some of Bledsoe's weapons away from him the year before, and he wasn't that old (only 32).

Here's what's scary: Green Bay would have drafted him instead of Ahmad Carroll if he was available.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:38 AM, HolmesPriest said:

When Deshaun Watson had this offseason. 😐

For the sake of football fans everywhere, we have to hope this is all a big setup by the prosecuting attorney or something.  Deshaun is just too good to flush it all down the toilet like that.  :(

On 4/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, vikingsrule said:

Didn’t take long watching Ponder and Teddy to realize they weren’t going to be worthy franchise QBs. 

Just watching Ponder in 2012 really being unable to do anything despite Peterson getting so much attention during his MVP season kind of sealed it. The next year they drafted Teddy. Teddy was just so underwhelming at everything you’d expect from a franchise QB. He couldn’t drive the ball, showed poor accuracy down the field, but he had the intangibles that were exciting. Just didn’t come together his first two years and then his knee imploded. Teddy needed that year 3 jump and not having that experience due to the injury pretty much sealed it because you know it was going to be a long recovery and a player trying to reach their peak really can’t be missing time in years 3, 4 and 5. It was a long shot but I think in the end, he played like a high level backup.

That knee injury was really sad because Teddy was (and still is) one of my all-time favorite players.  He's just such a nice guy that you can't help but cheer for him.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That knee injury was really sad because Teddy was (and still is) one of my all-time favorite players.  He's just such a nice guy that you can't help but cheer for him.

He was a great guy and leader, I felt that overrated him significantly. At least in the Vikes forum. We were all pulling for him so there was a lot of optimism for him to be a franchise QB. I wasn’t confident he’d get there and that was before the injury. 

• Like 1

So, for the Chiefs, we've only taken 3 QBs in my lifetime in the first 3 rounds. I was only like a month old when we drafted Matt Blundin. Patrick Mahomes was more of a case of there being a moment when it was obvious he was going to pan out, and that was pretty quick. So that just leaves Brodie Croyle. Croyle was a huge fan favorite. Croyle, as a prospect, just screamed potential. He had a huge arm, plus athleticism, and all reports of his work ethic and intangibles were fantastic. He fell because he was undersized and perpetually injured. We drafted him right when it was clear that Trent Green was never going to be the same again. We were rolling with Damon Huard for a bit, but he was a clear stopgap game manager type. So Croyle's career was 4-5 years of the fanbase begging for him to get playtime over Huard, and then Thipgen, and then Cassel. He got playing time twice in 06, his rookie year. Once in a favorable blowout, to take the kneeldowns. Once on the other end of a blowout, coming in long enough to throw a few picks and take a few sacks when the game was lost. 07 he came in late in the year, on a pretty severely injured and subpar team, and played as one would expect. Neither good, nor stink out loud. Respectable enough for fans to maintain hope.

But in 08, they finally gave him the shot everyone wanted, to start the season, and he made it about 35 game minutes before getting injured. But hey, no worries, just a bruised shoulder, just a few weeks out. Came back in week 7, made it 14 plays and got hurt and put on IR. He suffered two separate injuries in 30 pass plays. I think the injury prone label gets overused. I hate it when it's given to guys with just bad luck, suffering a series of unrelated injuries over the course of a few years. Some guys just get the short end of the stick. But if anyone was ever injury prone, it was Brodie Croyle. That week 7 game against the Titans was absolute proof you could never have the guy in your plans at QB. It was just too likely he wouldn't last. You'd have to have another good QB ready, and at that point, just start that other QB instead.

He played pretty well week 1 in 2009. But by then we had invested in Cassel, and he just wasn't going to get a shot again.

Always kind of felt bad for the guy. Ended his career 0-10. Kept alive the streak of the Chiefs not getting a win with a QB they drafted until Mahomes.

13 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

He was a great guy and leader, I felt that overrated him significantly. At least in the Vikes forum. We were all pulling for him so there was a lot of optimism for him to be a franchise QB. I wasn’t confident he’d get there and that was before the injury. 

Honestly, I still thought Teddy had a shot to pan out until this year. I loved him as a prospect. Thought he was a great pick for Minnesota, and then a really solid pickup for Carolina last year. And I thought he was showing it when we played Carolina, and he kept them in it with some huge plays throughout, helping keep up with our O. And then in the 4th quarter, down 2 from his own 9 with a minute and a half left, just needing to get into field goal range to win, he threw 5 straight short passes, burned a minute off the clock in order to go 19 yards, and he just reminded me way too much of bad Alex Smith, at that point. He finally took one deep shot to Samuel, but he had already wasted so much time on check downs that it was too late. It was just the worst brand of scared QB play, when it mattered most.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, vikingsrule said:

Didn’t take long watching Ponder and Teddy to realize they weren’t going to be worthy franchise QBs. 

Just watching Ponder in 2012 really being unable to do anything despite Peterson getting so much attention during his MVP season kind of sealed it. The next year they drafted Teddy. Teddy was just so underwhelming at everything you’d expect from a franchise QB. He couldn’t drive the ball, showed poor accuracy down the field, but he had the intangibles that were exciting. Just didn’t come together his first two years and then his knee imploded. Teddy needed that year 3 jump and not having that experience due to the injury pretty much sealed it because you know it was going to be a long recovery and a player trying to reach their peak really can’t be missing time in years 3, 4 and 5. It was a long shot but I think in the end, he played like a high level backup.

Yep, Ponder was a known bust from day 1. Teddy, there were high hopes, but the inability to make great decisions and stretch the field handicapped him. The injury ended the "hope for 3rd year improvement jump"

For me with Goff, the Miami game was the final straw.

However, I had reservations dating back to the Super Bowl. Then to begin the season. This culminated in a Sunday Night game in Cleveland in week 3 - the Browns entire secondary was out - and Goff threw three INTs. 

The end of 2018 halted the breaks on how good I thought he would be. The beginning of 2019 started the fall. The Miami game was the crash landing.

I was skeptical of Wentz going into last year. The moment I lost all hope was against Dallas. He rolls to the left where there are no receivers then proceeds to stand there like the controller got disconnected until he gets sacked. And it wasn't even like he got sacked from the blindside. The defender was right in his line of sight barreling down for like 3 whole seconds. It was his 5th year in the league. Ain't no fixin' that.

16 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

So, for the Chiefs, we've only taken 3 QBs in my lifetime in the first 3 rounds. I was only like a month old when we drafted Matt Blundin. Patrick Mahomes was more of a case of there being a moment when it was obvious he was going to pan out, and that was pretty quick. So that just leaves Brodie Croyle. Croyle was a huge fan favorite. Croyle, as a prospect, just screamed potential. He had a huge arm, plus athleticism, and all reports of his work ethic and intangibles were fantastic. He fell because he was undersized and perpetually injured. We drafted him right when it was clear that Trent Green was never going to be the same again. We were rolling with Damon Huard for a bit, but he was a clear stopgap game manager type. So Croyle's career was 4-5 years of the fanbase begging for him to get playtime over Huard, and then Thipgen, and then Cassel. He got playing time twice in 06, his rookie year. Once in a favorable blowout, to take the kneeldowns. Once on the other end of a blowout, coming in long enough to throw a few picks and take a few sacks when the game was lost. 07 he came in late in the year, on a pretty severely injured and subpar team, and played as one would expect. Neither good, nor stink out loud. Respectable enough for fans to maintain hope.

But in 08, they finally gave him the shot everyone wanted, to start the season, and he made it about 35 game minutes before getting injured. But hey, no worries, just a bruised shoulder, just a few weeks out. Came back in week 7, made it 14 plays and got hurt and put on IR. He suffered two separate injuries in 30 pass plays. I think the injury prone label gets overused. I hate it when it's given to guys with just bad luck, suffering a series of unrelated injuries over the course of a few years. Some guys just get the short end of the stick. But if anyone was ever injury prone, it was Brodie Croyle. That week 7 game against the Titans was absolute proof you could never have the guy in your plans at QB. It was just too likely he wouldn't last. You'd have to have another good QB ready, and at that point, just start that other QB instead.

He played pretty well week 1 in 2009. But by then we had invested in Cassel, and he just wasn't going to get a shot again.

Always kind of felt bad for the guy. Ended his career 0-10. Kept alive the streak of the Chiefs not getting a win with a QB they drafted until Mahomes.

On the Chief website, they had a several part series on why they never could get a franchise QB between Dawson and Mahomes (It's not up now).

I remember Matt Blundin. It seems like they never gave him a chance. I can understand bringing in Montana, but Bono? Yikes.

Also, I remember Blackledge. They never really committed to him, either. By 1985, they should have made a committment and traded either him or Kenney.

Then, in the midst of a bad 1988 season, they came back in both games against the Jets in the fourth quarter (they tied one game, and won the other), costing them a 2-14 season and the inside track to Troy Aikman.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

6 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

On the Chief website, they had a several part series on why they never could get a franchise QB between Dawson and Mahomes (It's not up now).

I remember Matt Blundin. It seems like they never gave him a chance. I can understand bringing in Montana, but Bono? Yikes.

Also, I remember Blackledge. They never really committed to him, either. By 1985, they should have made a committment and traded either him or Kenney.

Then, in the midst of a bad 1988 season, they came back in both games against the Jets in the fourth quarter (they tied one game, and won the other), costing them a 2-14 season and the inside track to Troy Aikman.

It really was uncanny, our ability to avoid drafting franchise QBs. Some of it was self-inflicted, we had so many regimes and coaching staffs that preferred vets to young guys (both Marty and Vermeil definitely leaned towards vets over youth. Even Herm Edwards was that way.) But some of it was just bad luck. When we were finally bad enough to get a first overall pick, it just happened to be in 2013, when the highest drafted QB was E.J. Manuel at #16. That's the only draft since 2000 that did not have a QB drafted in the top 5. No QBs in the draft wound up panning out, either. We had top 5 picks in 08, 09, and 10, but never high enough to get the guys worth it. We could've reached for a Tebow or Sanchez or Flacco, but that was it. 89, like you point out, we did just too well for Aikman (though DT was certainly worth the pick.) In 88 we picked 2nd overall, but the highest drafted QB was Tom Tupa in the 3rd, and he played more punter than QB. We were always not quite bad enough, or just bad at the wrong time, to get a QB that seemed worth saddling the franchise to, in the draft (whether they panned out or not.) Makes it fitting, honestly, that we had to really go out of our way to get the guy that finally did pan out.

• Like 1