Cuban’s idea of eliminating the draft

buno67

According to Tim MacMahon of ESPN on Thursday, the Dallas Mavericks owner attempted to pitch other members of the NBA’s board of governors on abolishing the draft and moving towards a system where each team would get a pool of money to sign rookies based on record.

“The team with the worst record gets the most money and the team with the best record gets the least money,” said Cuban. “It’s like a free agency. It makes it a lot harder to tank because you don’t know if you get the best players if you’re horrible all the time. Nobody liked that at all, not a single person."

that is a very interesting idea. 

This seems like it will have all kinds of unforeseen consequences, some that could be disastrous. The only way this works to give the worse teams a better shake is if they get A LOT more money where the rookie would be swayed to go there. But then you'll have busts killing cap like the NFL had before they redid that.

It works in baseball and there's a cap, I'd just adopt a draft like that, have guys in slots and give teams the opportunity to go overslot depending on how bad their record was is how much overslot they can go. So that gives you something to debate, do I stretch the money or do I go all in on one guy.

Im indifferent. I think it could be good or bad.

People say it will kill teams in crap cities? Wouldnt it just give a player a chance to make top money and play earlier. Yeah a rookie could sign with the likes of GSW, SAS, CLE, HOU, or whatever are the top teams but those rookies will most likely be seeing a lack of playing time. Also the salary cap getting involves could really stop the best teams from signing the top players because they might not have the space to truly sign him. 

It would suck to throw all your money at one player and that player bust but that should be something a team is worried about so they dont go all in on a player.

He seriously overvalues his franchise. Guys aren't beating down the door to play in Dallas, but he seems to think that a system like this would allow him to convince good rookies to take less money. 

I dont get the reason for trying to fix tanking. Do away with the lotto and let the worst team get the top pick. If you want to tank, then tank. The current system doesnt stop tanking, it prevents teams from rebuilding quicker and having to get lucky. Meanwhile stars go to teams with other stars. Teams like the Kings, Suns and T-wolves stay in no mans land for years until they happen to get lucky. 

The system hasnt harmed the NFL at all. 

On 10/20/2017 at 3:24 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

He seriously overvalues his franchise. Guys aren't beating down the door to play in Dallas, but he seems to think that a system like this would allow him to convince good rookies to take less money. 

I dont get the reason for trying to fix tanking. Do away with the lotto and let the worst team get the top pick. If you want to tank, then tank. The current system doesnt stop tanking, it prevents teams from rebuilding quicker and having to get lucky. Meanwhile stars go to teams with other stars. Teams like the Kings, Suns and T-wolves stay in no mans land for years until they happen to get lucky. 

The system hasnt harmed the NFL at all. 

I think it hasnt harmed the NFL because tanking 16 games isnt that bad. Tanking 82 games would be awful to watch. 

The only thing that would truly benefit this idea of a system would be that the teams in the states that dont have an income tax

• 1 month later...

Archived