Steelers give HC Tomlin 3-year contract extension

ReggieCamp

10 minutes ago, Starless said:

The Steelers haven't fired a head coach since Bill Austin in 1968. They've always been loyal to a fault. 

The Steelers forced Chuck Noll to retire.

After the 2004 AFCCG, it was actually Art II who said that the time was now to win a ring. It was a shot across the bow of Cohwer. Cowher had already been on the hot seat when he had three consecutive non-playoff seasons. Tomlin has never suffered so much as a wiff of criticism from the Rooney's.

The Steelers new schtick under Tomlin has been to "retire" every coach they don't want anymore, but make no mistake they fired **** Lebeau and Bruce Arians.

It was time for Mike T to retire a few years ago. The window is closed now, but he aint the guy to lead them in the post-Ben era.

12 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

The Steelers forced Chuck Noll to retire.

After the 2004 AFCCG, it was actually Art II who said that the time was now to win a ring. It was a shot across the bow of Cohwer. Cowher had already been on the hot seat when he had three consecutive non-playoff seasons. Tomlin has never suffered so much as a wiff of criticism from the Rooney's.

The Steelers new schtick under Tomlin has been to "retire" every coach they don't want anymore, but make no mistake they fired **** Lebeau and Bruce Arians.

It was time for Mike T to retire a few years ago. The window is closed now, but he aint the guy to lead them in the post-Ben era.

They forced Noll out? Never heard about that. Interesting.

As for Cowher, didn't him and Donahoe have a power struggle around 1999-00 (where they chose Cowher)? They should have moved on from both of those guys.

7 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

As for Cowher, didn't him and Donahoe have a power struggle around 1999-00 (where they chose Cowher)? They should have moved on from both of those guys.

why? The steelers bounced back in the early 00s with cowher leading to 3 div titles and a SB victory in 05. It would of been a mistake to move on from Bill during that time.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Hey, I respect it. I try not to get too attached or against anyone on the team. I've stopped caring enough for that. I just want to see what Tomlin can do without Ben. I like him, but I'm far from a true Tomlin defender. These last couple of years have been bad. 

Not acceptable. You're a modern football fan, there is no room for things like measured responses, non-polar arguments and assessments, or patience anymore?  Patience?  What are you?  OLD?!

5 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

This is my take as well.

Good coach, not a great one.

This sums it up.

My main issue with Tonlin is he doesn't learn from past mistakes, which is why I have personally gotten to the point that I am kinda ready to move on...but acknowledge we could definitely do worse.

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Exactly.  

Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs, Mason Rudolph.  

They have all been terrible.  

Tomlin had no drafting talent, nor is he capable of holding a football team together.  

You are clueless on so many levels....its embarassing.

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Sort of.  Noll said the advent of Free Agency meant an immense change for coaches and a huge challenge in building dynasties. He noted that he didn't want to invest time to coach up players - only for other teams to get the benefit. He added that if he wanted to have a graduating class each year - he'd become a college coach.

So you can see how the changes impacted his desire to continue. He knew you could no longer build those Championship Steeler teams;  once FA came to the NFL-  they would be impossible to build or maintain. So...while FA was good for the players, it hurt the coaches and the fans get a lesser game as a result.

As with most of these separations of Legendary coaches/players - there are many facets involved and more than one POV

I really don't get the Tomlin hate.

He has his flaws, but Pittsburgh has always been competitive under him. They'd be crazy to fire him. If they did, there would be plenty of teams giving him a call.

3 hours ago, Starless said:

The Steelers haven't fired a head coach since Bill Austin in 1968. They've always been loyal to a fault. 

stats.png

Idk, seems like it's worked out pretty well for them, despite the ridiculous expectations of some of their fans. 

3 hours ago, August4th said:

why? The steelers bounced back in the early 00s with cowher leading to 3 div titles and a SB victory in 05. It would of been a mistake to move on from Bill during that time.

If he didn't get Ben, he never wins a SB. Same with Tomlin.

Now, I don't agree with firing coaches every other year, but you have to see when the HC gets too much credit. Just because you have a consistent playoff team doesn't mean the coach is great. Look at the Broncos of the 80's. They got there because of Elway, not Reeves, who should have been fired after the 1990 season.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

50 minutes ago, Nut said:

I really don't get the Tomlin hate.

He has his flaws, but Pittsburgh has always been competitive under him. They'd be crazy to fire him. If they did, there would be plenty of teams giving him a call.

Tomlin isnt a bad coach, but he may have peaked in Pittsburgh.

We may be competitive with him in the regular season, but how long do you stand by a coach who consistently has the team playing down to inferior teams and losing early in the playoffs?

Sometimes, a change can be good for both sides.

58 minutes ago, 43M said:

Sometimes, a change can be good for both sides.

I've argued this for years. Tomlin would easily land another job if fired. I have no doubt about that. Hyperbole aside, he doesn't suck though I do think he's benefited greatly from the stability of the Steelers organization which he inherited. You couldn't ask for a more supportive GM than the one he has or more patient ownership.

The guy the Steelers replace Tomlin with could or probably wouldn't have the sustained success, if that makes some of his defenders happy. But the goal is winning a championship and sometimes just a change of direction can do that for  team that already has the talent. The Eagles are one team I'd use as an example. They probably don't get their ring with Andy Reid at the helm, though some people's opinions on that changed. Firing him was worth it if it brought them their first championship. Is Matt Lafleur a better coach overall than Mike McCarthy? I don't know, but I do know that team desperately needed a change and so far it's produced positive results.

Sometimes, the guy doesn't have to be better overall. He just has to be the better guy for the moment. And there are coaches who I believe definitely could have gotten more out of the Steelers roster in the 2010's than Mike Tomlin did even if they don't go 14 years without a losing record or any other such resume padding stats people want to throw out there.