Steelers give HC Tomlin 3-year contract extension

ReggieCamp

38 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

If you trust their process and decision making ability, why are you questioning them extending Tomlins contract?

Your answer is right there in the first sentence of the post you quoted. Dulac is writing that the Steelers did this to maintain stability as they transition to a new GM and QB. That's a team motivated by fear of the unknown.

Cowher and Tomlin were no one's hot coaching candidates when hired.

15 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

As someone who's team was an absolute unmitigated garbage fire for 20 years I always find it funny that people consider a coach who's never had a single losing season in 15 years "overrated" or average or worth moving on from or whatever.

There are Rams fans who think McVay is on the hot seat too. Four winning seasons and three playoffs after fifteen years of the worst football ever. I may not agree with things he and Snead do but we have it pretty good.

As for Tomlin it makes sense, he gets a couple years after Ben to build his team and we’ll see where it goes.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:37 PM, CKSteeler said:

And for the record, 3 playoff wins in the last 10 years is completely average. It's tied for 15th in the league over that time span. So the notion that this is just spoiled Steelers fans talking is kind of nonsense at this point. That isn't good enough for a team with a franchise QB and it's not good enough for what the Steelers sell themselves as.

So you're saying he's like a top 3 regular season coach, but since he's average (not bad) in the playoffs, that means they should get rid of him?

Not sure I agree with that.

And Steeler's fans just being spoiled is nonsense because......*checks notes*......it isn't good enough for "what the Steelers sell themselves as"? 

Not trying to attack you at all, but you see the irony of that, right? haha

I feel like Steelers fans always seem to tout subjective arguments like "he had so much talent" but, quite frankly, even that is aging well for Tomlin given the fallout from AB and Bell, imo. I'm also not sure how having a 'Franchise QB' directly correlates to championships either as we have seen with far better QBs than Ben (Rodgers, Brees, Marino, etc). But, for some reason, the "he had so much talent" argument doesn't seem to come up nearly as often with Sean Payton, for example. 

Edited by Soggust

I remember when several teams fired Marty Schottenheimer because he couldn't "get them over the hump", and then those 3 organizations weren't the safe for a LONG time afterwards. 

All I've got to say is, be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm also not sure how having a 'Franchise QB' directly correlates to championships either as we have seen with far better QBs than Ben (Rodgers, Brees, Marino, etc).

Brady and now Mahomes are skewing expectations a lot. Especially now that Brady has done it in TB

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I remember when several teams fired Marty Schottenheimer because he couldn't "get them over the hump", and then those 3 organizations weren't the safe for a LONG time afterwards. 

All I've got to say is, be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.

100% Agree.

I just feel like anyone who knows anything about statistics knows that 'playoff wins' is one of the most ridiculously dumb stats ever. It's a team stat that gets applied to individual players and coaches.

And, god forbid, a QB loses his first two games in the postseason, he instantly can't "win the big games".  Or if a coach like Andy Reid goes even 12-14 (which even at 26 games - is STILL a small sample size statistically), he just "will never get them over the hump". People don't realize how hard it is to win championships. 

I personally tend to believe that a guy who is a top 3 regular season coach or player, is generally, a pretty strong bet to be successful in the playoffs regardless of recency bias or short-term results. I still want Peyton over Flacco in the super bowl, for example (in a vacuum). 

But I also know I'm in the minority and it's just a fickle league, /shrug ,

Edited by Soggust

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Despite the steelers playoff setbacks lately, I saw a stat that showed the steelers of the 10s being one of the most successful regular season teams in NFL history

and this is coming right after they won a SB in 08 and appeared in another in 2010. The chances of the next guy having that kind of success is really low

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

100% Agree.

I just feel like anyone who knows anything about statistics knows that 'playoff wins' is one of the most ridiculously dumb stats ever. It's a team stat that gets applied to individual players and coaches.

Ask guys like Dan Marino, Andy Reid, Marty Schottenheimer, Don Coryell, and even the stigma that faced John Madden for a while before his ring. Throw in others like Tony Dungy, etc. in there too.

And, god forbid, a QB loses his first two games in the postseason, he instantly can't "win the big games".  Or if a coach like Andy Reid goes even 12-14 (which even at 26 games - is STILL a small sample size statistically), he just "will never get them over the hump". People don't realize how hard it is to win championships. 

Especially when a lot of times, those QB's inherited dumpster fire teams. Mahomes is absolutely unbelievable, but he benefitted from sitting a year and inheriting a playoff caliber roster with a super cerebral QB in Smith and a great system and HC in Reid, and compare that to guys like Mayfield who inherited a 1-31 roster. While the jury is still out on Baker and I don't mean to hijack the thread, having the same expectation(s) for these young guys is comical to me.

I personally tend to believe that a guy who is a top 3 regular season coach or player, is generally, a pretty strong bet to be successful in the playoffs regardless of recency bias or short-term results. I still want Manning over Flacco in the super bowl, for example (in a vacuum). 

But I also know I'm in the minority and it's just a fickle league, /shrug ,

Not at all. I 100% agree with you as a whole. There's a time and place to move on, and the only reason I'd consider moving on from Tomlin is the overall culture and things that have happened under his watch (the diva WR's and Bell for example).

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

Despite the steelers playoff setbacks lately, I saw a stat that showed the steelers of the 10s being one of the most successful regular season teams in NFL history

and this is coming right after they won a SB in 08 and appeared in another in 2010. The chances of the next guy having that kind of success is really low

1 Ring, 1 Super Bowl loss, never had a losing season...however many playoff appearances and divisional titles to go with 3 playoff wins, which while frustrating in a 10 year span, also gets a bit murky considering those teams have run into teams who have gone on to win Super Bowls (New England, Denver, Baltimore). Ben has been hurt, hasn't been the same player, and for a while their secondary was pretty underwhelming and Peyton/TB12 torched them in their soft zone.

IMO Tomlin set a high benchmark for success early (and parlayed that off of Cowher's team to be fair) and they've plateaud recently.  

I get why outsiders are questioning Steeler fans about wanting to get rid of Tomlin, but Steeler fans watch him every week and we are aware of all of Tomlin's faults, and its gotten to the point where we cant just dismiss it with "Well, he has never had a losing season, so that gives him a free pass.

It wasnt until the last year or two that the WIDER Steeler fanbase began to kind of "turn" on Tomlin.

There are typically 3 main types of Steeler fans when it comes to Tomlin....

Fans like CKSteeler who have never liked Tomlin, bash him nonstop and act like he could be easily replaced.   

The apologists who think Tomlin defend Tomlin tooth and nail and will make excuses for him at every turn.

Then the normal fans who, even if you lean more towards liking Tomlin, have to acknowledge that he peaked a decade ago and the team, despite having some extremely talented teams, has underwhelmed way too often....especially in the playoffs.

All Im saying is that outsiders need to drop the "Tomlin hater" accusations.   Its silly.     There ARE definitely some Tomlin haters.....but most of the Steeler fans on here just want some accountability.   

Im not opposed to Tomlin's extension, but I couldve went either way.     I knew he wouldnt be fired, but at some point, if things dont improve, they are going to have to admit that Tomlin has run his course.      I will be the first to give Tomlin credit and eat my crow if things get better.....but as someone who has watched him for years and understands that one of his biggest shortcomings is not learning or improving much from past experience...I am not overly optimistic in Tomlin turning this team into a serious SUPER BOWL contender again.      

• Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 9:20 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

As someone who's team was an absolute unmitigated garbage fire for 20 years I always find it funny that people consider a coach who's never had a single losing season in 15 years "overrated" or average or worth moving on from or whatever.

Yep! Texans have had as many HCs in 20 years than the Steelers have had in 55 years.

(If you consider interim HCs, Texans have had as many HCs in 20 years than the Steelers have had in 64 years).

Don't look a gifted horse in the mouth, Steelers Nation.

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

After 10 years, I'm pretty certain I'd kill several people to get Gary Kubiak back in Houston.

And I coined the #FireKubiak hashtag when I was on TwitFace.