And with the 7th pick in 2021 NFL draft...

Louis Friend

11 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I’d be terribly disappointed with those results.  Parsons I could live with after a trade down only because of his upside but I have a lot of doubts as far as him ever developing into the kind of cerebral player needed to be an elite middle linebacker.  Paye or Rosseau as our 1st pick is a nightmare scenario for me

Micah Parsons Stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/micah-parsons-1.html

He played major minutes as a true freshman and took a big step forward as a sophomore.  He has the measurables to back up those stats.  His biggest problem in Detroit would probably be the DTs playing in front of him.  If folks had to do a re-draft, where do you think Devin White would be drafted?

Edited by Just Want A Title

8 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I can respect that. What if he turns out to be something like Derrick Brooks though? To my knowledge, Derrick wasnt one to direct the defense, but he was elite in every other way.

Brooks is not a good comp at all.  Brooks was one of the most intelligent lbers to ever play. He’s arguably the best coverage linebacker and best will linebacker in league history.  Parsons weaknesses are Brooks strengths.

Oddly enough Lavar Arrington is one of the best comps imo.  Just a great physical specimen with loads of talent but like Parsons never really found a true position he was a perfect fit at.  Can essentially play any backer spot in a 43 or 34 but just won’t be great at any of them.  If things ever click for him upstairs I think Takeo Spikes could be his ceiling in the middle but Bart Scott type maybe a more likely outcome 

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Micah Parsons Stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/micah-parsons-1.html

He played major minutes as a true freshman and took a big step forward as a sophomore.  He has the measurables to back up those stats.  His biggest problem in Detroit would probably be the DTs playing in front of him.  If folks had to do a re-draft, where do you think Devin White would be drafted?

I’m not all that interested in his stats.  I’m not doubting he’s a great athlete either but I take his measurables with a grain of salt as suddenly without I combine every prospect has become Carl Lewis.  I don’t hate Parsons at all I’m just firmly on the fence.  He needed to play this season more than anyone.  He routinely makes the same mental errors on film and there’s just no way to know how or if he improved in those areas.  If a coach gets him in a film session and he passes all the tests than I’d feel a lot better.  A lot of his flaws can be attributed to lack of experience at the position but there’s also a lot of red flags that becoming an elite high iq type linebacker just isn’t likely to be within his capabilities.  He will have an Impact at the nfl I have little doubt but all he becomes is a big fast dude that needs predetermined instructions to succeed than he’s not worth a top 15-20 pick.

I also don’t know what Devin White has to do with anything.  They are not similar players at all.  Even if Parsons hits his ceiling his play style and instincts are completely different than Whites.  Where would Aaron Curry go in a redraft? Doesn’t have anything to do with Parsons either way

Edited by BigC421/

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Rosseau has a better chance of being drafted with our second round pick than pick 7.  I think its very real that he could be there when we pick in the second.  

I could get on board with Rousseau in round 2 in a big way. 

On 4/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, Louis Friend said:

The Detroit Lions select?

Here is my scenario.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars- Trevor Lawrence, QB- Obvious for awhile now.

2. New York Jets- Zach Wilson, QB- 2nd best QB in the draft.

3. San Francisco 49ers (from Miami Dolphins via Houston Texans)- Justin Fields, QB- I don't believe the Mac Jones smoke.

4. Atlanta Falcons- Trey Lance, QB- I think Atlanta lets Lance sits behind Ryan for a year or two.

5. Cincinnati Bengals- Penei Sewell, OT- Bengals go for protection over flash.

6. Miami Dolphins (from Philadelphia Eagles)- Kyle Pitts, TE- There's a reason Miami moved back up after moving down. I think it's for Pitts.

7. Detroit Lions-???????????

Option A: Trade down

Option B: Slater

16 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Option A: Trade down

Option B: Slater

Rumors swirling that the Lions like Slater better than Sewell. I think thats false, but I think Slater could be in play. I'd much rather draft Slater and then a WR later (Marshall, Moore, St. Brown, Eskridge, Rodgers, Johnson, etc).

This is a very deep WR and DB draft. I wouldn't mind loading up on those positions. We cannot fix every position, so let's solidify two or three. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Rumors swirling that the Lions like Slater better than Sewell. I think thats false, but I think Slater could be in play. I'd much rather draft Slater and then a WR later (Marshall, Moore, St. Brown, Eskridge, Rodgers, Johnson, etc).

This is a very deep WR and DB draft. I wouldn't mind loading up on those positions. We cannot fix every position, so let's solidify two or three. 

I have seen quite a few with Slater over Sewell.  I dont get it though.  Neither played this year and Sewell was the best LT prospect since Pace before the last month. I get Slater had a great career as well but nobody called him the #2 pick before last year so wondering what has changed.  

And I agree about loading up.  We are bleak at WR long term so grabbing two would be fine with me.  If Sewell is gone though I wouldn't be mad at Chase being the pick.  He is top 5 WR in the league talent IMO.  He will be our Julio/Hopkins etc and well worth the pick. Any other WR at 7 and I am not excited about the pick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Where are you hearing those rumors?  I love both just curious I have not seen that anywhere 

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I have seen quite a few with Slater over Sewell.  I dont get it though.  Neither played this year and Sewell was the best LT prospect since Pace before the last month. I get Slater had a great career as well but nobody called him the #2 pick before last year so wondering what has changed.  

And I agree about loading up.  We are bleak at WR long term so grabbing two would be fine with me.  If Sewell is gone though I wouldn't be mad at Chase being the pick.  He is top 5 WR in the league talent IMO.  He will be our Julio/Hopkins etc and well worth the pick. Any other WR at 7 and I am not excited about the pick. 

I've only seen it justified by saying Slater had a very good game against Chase Young and Sewell hasn't really played anyone of that caliber. I'd be happy with either. I think either would have a greater impact than a WR or receiving TE early in the 1st. 

18 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I've only seen it justified by saying Slater had a very good game against Chase Young and Sewell hasn't really played anyone of that caliber. I'd be happy with either. I think either would have a greater impact than a WR or receiving TE early in the 1st. 

My draft philosophy as far as building a team is always inside out. Since this is such a poor DT class, and a deep WR/DB class, I think grabbing the best OT in the first would be my ideal situation.

With Sewell, Chase and Pitts off the board, I'd trade #7 to Denver for #9, #40 and 2022 2nd and still grab Slater while adding more draft capital.

Round 1 Pick 9 (DEN): Rashawn Slater, OT/OG, Northwestern
Round 2 Pick 8 (DEN): Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU 
Round 2 Pick 9: Trevon Moehrig, FS/SS, TCU 
Round 3 Pick 8: Jabril Cox, ILB/OLB, LSU 
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh 
Round 4 Pick 7: Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia 
Round 5 Pick 9: Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

Get OT to play on the right side until we decide to hold onto Decker for his next contract or let him go. Double up on WR. Address the safety position. Get two players to add to our front seven. Grab a QB who was good value in the 4th to fight with David Blough for developmental QB spot on roster. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It’s a few things first being more people are getting around to studying Slaters tape and being very impressed and Sewell been crowned the generational talent for so long it’s only natural to look for flaws.  There are things that you can’t help but notice Slater being far more advanced than Sewell at.  Mainly technique, hand use and consistency. Sewells big flaw to me is his hand usage.  You could argue Slater was technically the better player in 2019.  Still Sewell was 19 last time we saw him play and his talent is off the charts.   Sewell is a significantly better prospect overall imo but Slater is so clean its hard not to like him.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, BigC421/ said:

I’m not all that interested in his stats.  I’m not doubting he’s a great athlete either but I take his measurables with a grain of salt as suddenly without I combine every prospect has become Carl Lewis.  I don’t hate Parsons at all I’m just firmly on the fence.  He needed to play this season more than anyone.  He routinely makes the same mental errors on film and there’s just no way to know how or if he improved in those areas.  If a coach gets him in a film session and he passes all the tests than I’d feel a lot better.  A lot of his flaws can be attributed to lack of experience at the position but there’s also a lot of red flags that becoming an elite high iq type linebacker just isn’t likely to be within his capabilities.  He will have an Impact at the nfl I have little doubt but all he becomes is a big fast dude that needs predetermined instructions to succeed than he’s not worth a top 15-20 pick.

I also don’t know what Devin White has to do with anything.  They are not similar players at all.  Even if Parsons hits his ceiling his play style and instincts are completely different than Whites.  Where would Aaron Curry go in a redraft? Doesn’t have anything to do with Parsons either way

You don't buy into his stats.  Got it.  You acknowledge his measureables but don't think they accurately reflect his potential as a LB prospect.  So how exactly do you evaluate prospects if not by some combination of stats and on-the-field performance?

57 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

You don't buy into his stats.  Got it.  You acknowledge his measureables but don't think they accurately reflect his potential as a LB prospect.  So how exactly do you evaluate prospects if not by some combination of stats and on-the-field performance?

I watch them play football and make an assessment.  I’m not perfect, I’m wrong all the time.  I was really high on Dion Jordan and Greg Robinson, huge busts.  I’ve said all along I think it’s certainly plausible Parsons could develop into a transcendent talent I just think it’s highly unlikely.  I don’t think he’ll bust at all he has to much talent to bust.  He will be able to run around and make some plays.  I don’t think he’s worth a high draft pick though.