How would you feel about a LB in the first?

KingTitan

53 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I agree that they could, but I don't think we really want them to.  They're of a similar mold, and we'd need more of a thumper to balance it out, especially with a weak DL.

Here's a hot take though: Rashaan Evans isn't that bad.  I mean, before this season, he was runner up in the sub-forum's 10 best players, IIRC.  So he was like number 11 then coming off of a fantastic stretch of play in the playoffs.  He just had his worst season, but let's be real.  Outside of our starting two, we don't have a CB, a DL, a WR, or an Edge that's a better player at their position than Evans is.  With Brown and Long there too, that actually gives us a very solid three guy rotation at the position.

That said, the more I think about it, the more OK I am with an ILB early, if, and only if, they're the best player available.  I love Zaven Collins, and if it's either him or any CB other than the top 3 (or any Edge other than Kwity Paye), it makes some sense to take him.  We lose both Evans and Brown to FA next year, so insurance would be good.  Especially since we don't know whether Long can consistently deliver the way Brown can.

So it is a future need, for sure.  I don't love taking care of a future need with a first overall pick when there are current needs that will then go unaddressed, but there it is.  Collins, at least, would also aid the pass rush.  Dude can sack, and with Schwartz on the staff, I have more trust that there would be special packages the team could use to take advantage of what he brings to the table.

Probably I'm just talking myself into liking what they're gonna do, but either way.  I don't think it's the worst thing, but it would almost guarantee that we go into this season with another really bad defense.  Maybe not historically bad again, but probably still very bad.

Oh, and JRob has been great at finding ILB talent late in the draft, so picking one in the first just seems like not the best idea.

Yeah. The people that are linked to the first are more hybrid or dynamic than just straight up ILB.

I do think we could get a guy to be a thumper in the later rounds. I however think we need a LB that can cover better than Long/Evans and hopefully more durable than Brown. 

I'm not one that wants to draft an LB in the first, but if they go that route, I wouldn't be mad.  I think some would legit be mad.  lol

FWIW, Owusu-Koramoah is a stud against the run. I don't know how NFL teams view his size, but I would trust him to be an every-down inside linebacker, one that could cover TEs or even slot WRs, as well as coming down hard against the run whenever needed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

FWIW, Owusu-Koramoah is a stud against the run. I don't know how NFL teams view his size, but I would trust him to be an every-down inside linebacker, one that could cover TEs or even slot WRs, as well as coming down hard against the run whenever needed.

Yes. I think someone like him is worth an 1st because he does so much. He is the type you find a way to use him and build stuff around his skills, but that would take trust in our Defensive staff. Trust isn't exactly high with them presently..lol

JOK as he is called would be dope. 

• Like 1

Ok my take is

Would I be upset taking and lLB at 22? No not really, I get why they would do it 

My only problem is, last year we took Wilson with the idea of sitting him behind Kelly until Kelly screwed up or injuries forced him to play, so we basically drafted a guy we knew wasn’t going to help right away 

If we go ILB and keep Evans Brown and Davis then who ever we draft at 22 is going to be stuck behind guys for playing time 

With how close this team is to getting to a SB ( they aren’t just one piece away but we are close, we are right there with a bunch of other teams knocking on the door) it would be ideal to draft a guy in the first that can help make an impact immediately 

I also get the draft isn’t just for this year it’s for the next few years 

But if the Titans take a WR CB OLB or NT with the 22nd pick, that player is going to hopefully make an impact immediately 

The Wilson pick really f’d things up for us

But again to answer the question, I wouldn’t be upset, I wouldn’t be thrilled, but I would be happier taking an ILB than a RT

Honestly if they aren’t happy with their RT situation during the preseason, I would just wait and see who becomes a cap casualty or a release at the end of training camp and find a guy that way or draft a RT in the middle rounds and hope that person is coached up and ready to go if called upon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

But again to answer the question, I wouldn’t be upset, I wouldn’t be thrilled, but I would be happier taking an ILB than a RT

Honestly if they aren’t happy with their RT situation during the preseason, I would just wait and see who becomes a cap casualty or a release at the end of training camp and find a guy that way or draft a RT in the middle rounds and hope that person is coached up and ready to go if called upon 

I'm there with you on that.  Between Lamm and Sambrailo, they should be OK at RT.  If they pick one, great, that's a future need, but it better not be their first pick.

If they don't feel OK with the combo of Lamm and Sambrailo, then I'm scratching my head at why they were even signed.

31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm there with you on that.  Between Lamm and Sambrailo, they should be OK at RT.  If they pick one, great, that's a future need, but it better not be their first pick.

If they don't feel OK with the combo of Lamm and Sambrailo, [b]then I'm scratching my head at why they were even signed.[/b]

Depth? We need it, remember?

Also, if we can entertain the idea of an ILB being BPA on their board at 22, why not a RT as well? Regardless of whether it might be a future or present need, Jenkins, Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker (if they think he can play RT, and frankly looked fine for most of what I've seen of him as a LT), or even, if things go completely crazy, Slater, might be there. There's a reasonable case to made for any of those three being the best player available, at which point what's really stopping you from taking them? 

Why are we still knocking positions off the board completely (and arguably some high-value ones as well), I still can't understand. RB, QB (unless someone like Fields somehow falls that much) and TE (unless it's Pitts) are the only ones that would piss me off. Everything else should be fair game, especially considering there are good/great prospects to be had for each position.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's clear.

I don't know how many more ways I can explain allocation of resources and maximizing the benefit of picks.  But that's what it is.

Ahahahaha. That's a good one. But if the notion of a couple of depth signings is a head-scratcher for you, maybe try to tone down the condescending tone just a little, while also give up entirely on trying to explain even more complex terms altogether? Just sayin'.

A few weeks ago I probably would've scoffed at the idea of us taking a LB in the first, but the more I think about it, JOK makes a ton of sense. I doubt Evans is in the long term plans here, and Jayon is on a one year deal. JOK is an every down sideline to sideline backer that can cover. Not that I trust our defensive staff to be creative with how they use him really (lol) but the tools are certainly there for him to be a very dynamic defensive piece for us. The biggest argument I could make for him is that our defense has needed that Keith Bulluck esque figure in the middle of our defense for a long time, and I could see JOK being that for us. A guy with the athletic ability to play the run, cover, and rush the passer like he can combined with his football IQ to read and diagnose plays in the middle could help us tremendously. Our defense needs a massive overhaul and what better way to put a stamp on that than by drafting a guy that could potentially be the quarterback of our defense for the next decade? I'd be cool with it.

Edited by SerenityNow
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I will say the more I think about it

Brown is always injured

Evans could get thrown out of a game or just not produce

So the more I think about it, i wouldn’t be as  upset about taking a LB than I first thought 

Still hope for WR CB or OLB but I wouldn’t hate ILB

you guys operate in recency bias so much around here its sickening... the guy played 4 years here and missed 10 games in his last year, and now "he's always injured".. give me a break..

2 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

you guys operate in recency bias so much around here its sickening... the guy played 4 years here and missed 10 games in his last year, and now "he's always injured".. give me a break..

Well ya I’m not going to give him credit for staying healthy in college 

2 years ago missed some regular season games and got hurt in NE and didn’t play vs Baltimore 

Last year ended his season in Baltimore 

So his health is something to consider 

But Evans and Brown on expiring contracts I guess would be more of a reason to consider ILB 

41 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Well ya I’m not going to give him credit for staying healthy in college 

2 years ago missed some regular season games and got hurt in NE and didn’t play vs Baltimore 

Last year ended his season in Baltimore 

So his health is something to consider 

But Evans and Brown on expiring contracts I guess would be more of a reason to consider ILB 

Eh last years injury was a freak play where he landed badly on his arm. LB is a need though especially going forward after next season.