Valhalla Mock Draft MMXXI: Final Results

swede700

With the 14th pick, the Minnesota Vikings select...  

39 members have voted

1. 1. With the 14th pick, the Minnesota Vikings select...

• S Trevon Moehrig (TCU)
    • DE Jaelan Phillips (Miami)
    • LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Notre Dame)
    • OG Alijah Vera-Tucker (USC)
    • CB Jaycee Horn (South Carolina)
    • WR Rashod Bateman (Minnesota)
    • DE Kwity Paye (Michigan)
    • CB Caleb Farley (Virginia Tech)
    • LB Micah Parsons (Penn St)
    • OT Teven Jenkins (Oklahoma St)
    • DE Azeez Ojulari (Georgia)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Ideally, they'd trade down and take him. 

I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him at 14. With Arizona, Las Vegas, Miami, Chicago, and Indianapolis picking after the Vikings, I think there’s a very real chance that a trade down would backfire. 

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Teven Jenkins is my pick. I love the way he plays. He may not be the best value, but he offers versatility to play Tackle until we get a permanent solution, and he'll be a monster when he's moved to Guard. 

I know AVT offers the same and is supposed to be the better value, but Jenkins' demeanor is the nastiest in the class. Ideally, they'd trade down and take him. 

That would be very tempting no question.  I also love the way he plays and how aggressive he plays the game.  If he for sure could play guard he should be the pick but I am not totally sure he could play guard, probably could though just might not be a fit.  And he is not a LT really so that limits it because really he is a RT all the way and again Vikings with O'Neill he is not a LT so that creates a pretty big issue, but if they draft AVT he is not a LT either so it could still be an issue with him as well.  In term of his demeanor yeah he would be awesome to have around and I would not mind at 14 at all.

Really key is Ezra Cleveland and do the Vikings in what they have seen from him in practice think he can be the LT and do well at it.  If so that opens up a lot more options, really if they view Jenkins as a guard he provides a lot more versatility similar to Leatherwood where he could play OT or OG, something AVT I do not feel can do is playing either OT spot.

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

AVT ranks 16th in The Athletic’s consensus big board, which is a compilation of 50+ big boards. So, I don’t know why people think drafting the top guard would be considered a reach. 

Agreed.  So it really comes down to whether they take the real BPA, which is clearly Parsons (#10 on the board), or do they take one of the BPAs at an actual position of need, which could be either Paye (#14) or AVT (#16).

If they trade down, they likely could still get Paye, but they aren't going to get either Parsons (who could go to the Pats) or AVT (who could go anywhere between 16 and 18) if they do so.    

• Like 1

Would all depend on how the Vikings tier the draft board.  If Parsons, who's #11 on Arif's aggregate, is in the same tier as Paye, Darrisaw, or AVT (14-16), it's an easy pick to select Paye, Darrisaw, or AVT based on positional value (DE/OL vs LB) and positional need.

If Parsons is #11 on the big board and graded a tier above the other three, then things could get interesting.

• Like 2

I went with AVT as well. But, if the board fell like this, I would love to trade back with Baltimore ( they take Parsons) and get Orlando Brown jr. an pick 27. Throw in a 4th this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year. 

Bottom line, we need a LT and he would fit perfectly for the next 5 plus years. And I don’t care about all this talk about would he fit into our system. Just block the DE and give our QB time to throw the F’en ball... 

Then, at 27, give me a DE or take Leatherwood to play OG.. 

Adding Brown and Leatherwood would instantly make our O-line be much,much better then last year. And we were 4th in total offense last year..

that’s what I would do..

• Like 1

While versatility is good on the OL, I also like guys who dominate at one position.  I would rather have a more dominate guard than a guy who could be average-above average at both G and T.  We have enough guys who can play RT, so give me either a LT (if Cleveland doesn't slide) or a guy with  pro-bowl potential at G.  I just miss having guys like Randall McDaniel and Steve Hutchinson on the interior.

Edited by Snake Plissken
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

My first choice will stay as trade down, but in this scenario, AVT would be a solid choice.

I don't get this trade down stuff......or IOL aren't worth 14.....I'd trade pick 14 for a starting IOL that would be here on a cheap rookie deal for 4-6 years.......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don't get this trade down stuff......or IOL aren't worth 14.....I'd trade pick 14 for a starting IOL that would be here on a cheap rookie deal for 4-6 years.......

Mainly to recoup the lost 2nd round pick.

OL is deep enough this year to trade back and still get a very good lineman.

30 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Mainly to recoup the lost 2nd round pick.

OL is deep enough this year to trade back and still get a very good lineman.

Based on their vast success picking them?

As someone said ..... if you are picking from 5 you like, you are more likely to be right than picking the one left among the 5 after you traded down and 4 were already picked. Pick from a pool of 5-10, not among the 1-4 left after others have picked!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

As someone said ..... if you are picking from 5 you like, you are more likely to be right than picking the one left among the 5 after you traded down and 4 were already picked. Pick from a pool of 5-10, not among the 1-4 left after others have picked!

If you are an NFL scout and you have trouble distinguishing which you like better, I suggest you start looking for a new job. You are not cut out to be an NFL scout.  Decide which you like best and go with that. Even if there are five of them in the same tier, it is hokum to suggest that NFL scouts can't differentiate between the five.

35 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I would rather have my pick from 5 similarly players, than getting the last choice (assuming everyone else has same rankings).  But I might also rather have the last player from that group and another pick.   Would you rather have pick 14 or picks 22 and 53 (for example) would be he question.   I'm going with whatever has the best chance of improving the team and that would depend how the board has played out.  

Edited by Snake Plissken

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

If you are an NFL scout and you have trouble distinguishing which you like better, I suggest you start looking for a new job. You are not cut out to be an NFL scout.  Decide which you like best and go with that. Even if there are five of them in the same tier, it is hokum to suggest that NFL scouts can't differentiate between the five.

I'm not sure you read that right........or I wasn't clear......you are more likely to be right if you are choosing among 5 guys, than among 1....so, if you trade down, you will have less to choose from. 

46 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I would rather have my pick from 5 similarly players, than getting the last choice (assuming everyone else has same rankings).  But I might also rather have the last player from that group and another pick.   Would you rather have pick 14 or picks 22 and 53 (for example) would be he question.   I'm going with whatever has the best chance of improving the team and that would depend how the board has played out.  

14. Most of the time. I don't have a board of 100 players in front of me, and never will. I'd rather get a "sure fire" starter. 

15 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

14. Most of the time. I don't have a board of 100 players in front of me, and never will. I'd rather get a "sure fire" starter. 

With this class I think a “sure fire” starter will easily be available in the last third of the 1st round. It’s a deep o-line class.

I think a better question is, do you want a perennial pro bowl caliber player, which is what I think you can get at 14, or do you want a starting caliber player? 

I think it’s a fair argument to have. You don’t need a pro bowler, or pro bowlers, to have a good, or even great offensive line.