The 10 Greatest Peak Seasons Of All-Time

the lone star

Ben is a tremendous basketball mind. The amount of research and effort he puts into his work is pretty awesome. I might not agree with everything he says but realistically he's a better, more informed judge than I am and his logic is usually sound.

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

kg and duncan being so high was kinda crazy to me 

KG being so high was surprising, but had to think Duncan would make it in.

The top 2 were obvious right from the start. Hard to argue at all with the other 13, though a few names probably have some arguments. Wade, Dirk, McGrady, Dwight, Harden, and Giannis come to mind.

IMO Shaq is a little overrated but I get it. He physically was impossible to stop but his game wasn't versatile at all. Like there's a reason Shaq is the most swept NBA player of all time. Its because when what he tried to do didn't work he couldn't adapt. I get that he won 3 rings in a row, and 1 in an all-time dominant fashion, but its not like he was so much better those years than the 3-4 years before and 3-4 years after. The way everything lined up just worked and thats the way the cards landed. The rest of the NBA was worse and his teammates were better during those years. 

I'd have Kareem 2nd and LeBron third. 

I like that they gave Steph his due. Duncan should be higher. Dirk's 2011 season needs to be here. 

21 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

KG being so high was surprising, but had to think Duncan would make it in.

The top 2 were obvious right from the start. Hard to argue at all with the other 13, though a few names probably have some arguments. Wade, Dirk, McGrady, Dwight, Harden, and Giannis come to mind.

KG's 2004 is pretty much god tier basketball and he was already amazing in 2003. T-Mac and Dwight are guys I really enjoyed at their peak but they simply don't compare to these guys. I think (but I'm not positive) that he does two year peak which would really hurt T-Mac.

10 hours ago, roger murdock said:

IMO Shaq is a little overrated but I get it. He physically was impossible to stop but his game wasn't versatile at all. Like there's a reason Shaq is the most swept NBA player of all time. Its because when what he tried to do didn't work he couldn't adapt. I get that he won 3 rings in a row, and 1 in an all-time dominant fashion, but its not like he was so much better those years than the 3-4 years before and 3-4 years after. The way everything lined up just worked and thats the way the cards landed. The rest of the NBA was worse and his teammates were better during those years. 

I'd have Kareem 2nd and LeBron third. 

I like that they gave Steph his due. Duncan should be higher. Dirk's 2011 season needs to be here. 

If it's two year peak Dirk's 11 would be surrounded by 10 or 12 and neither of those are ATG seasons. Either way 2011 is better narratively than it is qualitatively. 

48 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

KG's 2004 is pretty much god tier basketball and he was already amazing in 2003. T-Mac and Dwight are guys I really enjoyed at their peak but they simply don't compare to these guys. I think (but I'm not positive) that he does two year peak which would really hurt T-Mac.

Oh, no argument from me at all. KG is one of my favorite players ever and I'll go to bat for his peak in Minnesota being top 10 all-time. I'm just surprised he actually made it based on name.

20 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Oh, no argument from me at all. KG is one of my favorite players ever and I'll go to bat for his peak in Minnesota being top 10 all-time. I'm just surprised he actually made it based on name.

Ben goes pretty in-depth into value brought on the court as opposed to name value. You should check out his backpicks top 40 players list. It has tons of awesome info. It hasn't been updated in a few years but I believe he's said LeBron would currently be his #1.

https://backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/

On 4/23/2021 at 9:17 AM, Bullet Club said:

If it's two year peak Dirk's 11 would be surrounded by 10 or 12 and neither of those are ATG seasons. Either way 2011 is better narratively than it is qualitatively. 

Didnt realize it was 2 years so that makes a ton of sense.