NFL Owners approve jersey number change

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think this was cute back in college but I really don't like this concept for the NFL. They have to stand for something 

Like the attire for a profession compared to sport. I like giving the players more choices but personally I liked seeing 'units' with the same fist digit. It seemed more like a unified team. All DB's either 20's or 30's, LB's all 50's unless they are pass rushers then 90's and all DL 90's. Oline all 70's, WR/TE 80's and RB 20's or 30's Some of my favorite DB's had 20's and fav RB's had 30's so that's what I prefer. However...I'm all about CHOICE so do your thing and be a team on the field then your 'brand' off the field. TB 12 is a perfect example and as a Raider fan I cannot like him or Pats for 'Tuck' but what was accomplished is everything I'd want to see out a leader. So guys, make sure you date 'up' so you can give more. LOL 

5 hours ago, 49ers fan said:

how

Chiefs ran out of eligible numbers last year. More and more teams need to dip into the 40s to supplement positions that were full.

This was certainly like an extreme solution to the problem. But I guess they figured just  make the change now all at once.

I’m sure they can see all the extra revenue they’ll get from this and it made it all the more enticing. Probably was a chart for doing this would make back X percentage of what they lost last year and got them all on board.

41 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tom Brady probably knwos more than any of us, but I'm confused on how this will lead to worse blocking. Is it because you can't tell who is a LB/DE/DB now based on number, so you can't really tell if they're in Nickel/Dime/Base or who is likely to blitz or not?

36 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tom Brady probably knwos more than any of us, but I'm confused on how this will lead to worse blocking. Is it because you can't tell who is a LB/DE/DB now based on number, so you can't really tell if they're in Nickel/Dime/Base or who is likely to blitz or not?

Good coaches have been preparing for this for years.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/17/giants-training-camp-jerseys-are-nameless-for-a-reason/

Tom Brady should know. Belichick used to have players wear numberless jerseys in camp, and for good reason. I don't know why he thinks it will be an issue, because it won't be.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It is definitely gonna to make reading the play a lot harder for QBs. Like you said, what package they are in, what personnel they have on the field, etc. It's going to be harder calling out protections in the traditional fashion. I disagree with Brady on one front though, it won't be bad football, its just a change that will make QB play more difficult pre-snap. One of the few defensively skewed rule changes.