Wish upon a 'Star'

cannondale

Fix the defense or nothing else matters is how I have looked at this off-season (and many others) and draft. Two years ago was the time to draft a DL and last year was the time to sign one. This year, not so much. I expect the Packers to draft and maybe even double dip on the DL, but not at 29. Despite Preston likely being gone after this season, rolling with what we have at Edge with maybe a middle round pick to effort getting lucky is my best guess. CB needs and concerns are well documented, with King back on a one year deal. Luckily, this year's draft is quite deep there. 

So that brings me to the Star. When talking about Joe Barry's defense, Star is usually the first thing spoken. Is it a CB that can play S and dabble at LB or is it a S that can play CB and dabble at LB ?? I'm not exactly sure. It would seem Jaire stays on his island, handling opposing teams best WR. King is not only likely gone after this season, but probably viewed as an OCBO - outside CB only. Ka'dar Hollman at 6'-0" and 196 is still more of a mystery than a known commodity. There has been talk of Savage playing the Star, but I think that's a compromise based on the few options. Those options being Chandon Sullivan. Just a wild guess, but he's probably not the answer Barry is looking for.

After disregarding the idea, maybe targeting a Star at #29 is the most bang for the buck as far as making a difference on the defensive side of the ball. 

Not every CB can be a Star and not every S can be a Star, which makes them quite rare I would assume. Who are the best options at #29 ?? Are there viable options after #29 ?? Are there any real options already on the roster ?? I've been wanting to have a designated discussion about everything Star and hopefully it can happen here.

Edited by cannondale

6 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

As the song goes...

when you wish upon a star

makes no difference who they are

unless you have a good defensive coordinator.

Hiring a DC that runs a defense that heavily relies on the Star, and then giving him Sullivan and Black kind of defeats the purpose I would think. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. Give the guy what he needs and find out quickly. 

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Historically Gute likes to trade and move up the board, he doesn't mind giving up 4th round picks. So in the 2021 NFL draft the Green Bay Packers with pick number 23 select Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, our new Star!!!

I'd love to have that type of a chess piece .. not sure the Packers value that enough to deal up for.  If they stay put at 29, or deal down a bit I could see Jevon Holland being the pick.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd love to have that type of a chess piece .. not sure the Packers value that enough to deal up for.  If they stay put at 29, or deal down a bit I could see Jevon Holland being the pick.

Their is a lot of love for Holland and he would be fine as a Packer selection, but he easily could still be on the board at 62. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Their is a lot of love for Holland and he would be fine as a Packer selection, but he easily could still be on the board at 62. 

I think 62 is a stretch for Holland. I think the Packers could probably land him with a trade back/up late 30s, maybe early 40s. That's about it.